Which types of upcoming news announcements should I beware of?

TADWS

New to Stocks but I've traded Forex. In Forex there are days when certain types of news announcements can be counted on to affect the market drastically. So much so that I would make sure I was out of the market while the news hit. Do stocks have those types of announcement days, and if, what types of announcements are they?

In stocks I'll be trading the Daily timeframe, holding anywhere from days to months. Just fyi in case that's pertinent info.

New to Stocks but I've traded Forex. In Forex there are days when certain types of news announcements can be counted on to affect the market drastically. So much so that I would make sure I was out of the market while the news hit. Do stocks have those types of announcement days, and if, what types of announcements are they?

In stocks I'll be trading the Daily timeframe, holding anywhere from days to months. Just fyi in case that's pertinent info.

Go to a company website, visit their investor centre and have a look at their 'news and announcements' sections to see what kind of things you can expect. Perhaps compare it to a chart of their share price to see the impact. Usually things like changes to the board, profit warnings, takeover announcements and dividend changes have a big effect.

I used to suggest getting out/not going in around news times, but depending on your trading timeframe this doesn't necessarily make sense. If you’re trading with the fundamentals then being in around a news release is unlikely to shake you up too much given that you’ll be trading with a sensible stop.

It’s when you’re trading the smaller TFs that the magic occurs…

Even if you’re primarily technical rather than fundamentally biased and therefore probably trading with relatively small stops, it makes sense to stick with your plan. News will kill you as often as boost you. Just make sure you have sufficient ‘play’ in your position to account for any temporary widening of spread around higher volatility news times.