Which TA indicators for beginners?

I've come to the conclusion that these threads on indicators are overly simplistic. One really needs to take a step back and ask oneself what information is available to base trading decisions on.

As I see it in equities and stock index futures, we have

1. Price, volume, time.

2. Order flow - is volume occuring at the bid or ask. Are buyers/sellers in control of the market.

3. Depth of market - what does the order book tell us.

4. Market internals - TICK, TRIN, advance/decline and various other market breadth indicators that one can dream up.

While they are obviously interrelated, they also are independent sources of information from which to derive conclusions about likely future market behavior. Whereas any number of oscillators and any number of different types of moving averages just represent price, volume, time in a different fashion, as do standard candlestick or OHLC bar charts.

I may have missed something out - I'd certainly like to know if I have.

So how to view this information ?

1. Price/volume/time

- Oscillators for reversion to mean
- moving averages, and trendlines for trend
- pivot points because some markets respond to them. Why ? - just because they do.
- Market profile - as with pivots, I strongly suspect some markets take a lot more notice of MP levels than do others.

- Other support/resistance levels - round numbers, interesting price levels on a volume profile chart (hint - low volume levels), and some levels that are just 'obvious' from a chart.

- And the more flimsy (IMHO) stuff like fibs, Elliot wave, GANN etc.

- and others such as candlestick stuff.

Additionally, we need to decide on how to slice up our time series for charting - should bars be constant time (eg 5 min), constant tick (eg 100 trades) or constant volume ? Is there in fact any conclusive, general answer to this question ?

2. Order flow - one can stare at the time and sales but it's pretty heavy going and must be ameanable to some sort of computer analysis or at least graphical representation.

3. Order book - as for order flow. There has got to be something better than staring at the DOM all day.

4. I havn't given a lot of thought to the breadth indicators but the standard stuff is quite usefull.

Here is a chart of todays Kospi that illustrates the point that there are more sources of info on which to make trading decisions than the standard oscillators/MAs etc etc.

It is a constant tick width chart (just 10 ticks per bar) of todays Kospi. The main price chart has bars coloured at each price level according to the rationof trades executed at the bid/executed at the ask. Take a look at the MarketDelta web site for more info on this type of thing.

The bands are constructed using multiple moving averages. Each MA is lagged by half the period of the MA (because SMAs lag by half the period) and then forecast to the current bar simply by extending a linear regression line through the last 3 bars of the lagged MA. The blue channel is then constructed by taking the mean of the LR forecasts. The idea is derived from Hurst's book.

The columndelta subchart shows the difference between the volume at bid and volume at ask for the bar.

The EhlersFIR (ColumnDelta) is a fast smoother applied to ColumnDelta.

The OrderBook delta subchart is possibly the most interesting thing here. It shows the ratio of contracts offered (ie volume at ASK) to the total volume in the the DOM. There clearly is some support to the proposition that 'market moves towards size' - which is in a way counter intuitive.

I hope this illustrates that there is something more to all this than the oscillators vs price and volume arguments that occur so frequently.

This chart is generated from an IB data feed. Milage will vary depending on feed.

Attachments

• kospi.png
    kospi.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 467
Reactions: dsn
It might be labouring the point but here is a 50 tick chart illustrating the same things.

Attachments

• kospi1.png
    kospi1.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 365
beeryboy said:
Indicators are quite a good tool when trying to form a mechanical trading system, where you want all trading decisions to be free of emotion.

I would say look at,

Moving Averages
RSI
Stochastics (Williams %R is actually the fast stochastic line so this could be 2 indicators in 1!)

These should get you started!

It's funny that volume wasn't one of the first responses to the thread even though its been mentioned since. Volume is safe determinant of movement for beginners - its how you know you are on a path vs in the fields...

Here is a transcript of how we treat volume: http://www.trade-ideas.com/VideoHelp/Menu.html?video=Introduction to Volume&mode=transcript

To the volume aspect I would add simple trend confirming movements like when moving averages cross each other.

Without posting our link again, try googling these phrases:
50 Day Moving Average Crosses 200 Day Moving Average
20 Day Moving Average Crosses 200 Day Moving Average
20 Day Moving Average Crosses 50 Day Moving Average

Best,

TI

Last edited:
couple observations

I don't have a top four but have found in working on my mkt timing program that its a big help if you can use various indicators which do not draw from the same source

examples:

vix is an options volatility (fear) ratio
mclellan summations, advance decline statistics
rsi, mfi

Take any/all advice here with a grain of salt. A lot of investors get confused and think their way is the 'only' way. In truth there are many ways to skin the cat.

Odds Maker: Event-Based Backtesting of Mechanical Systems

I am interested in how you are testing your mechanical systems. Here are some penetrating questions to ask such a system in order to determine how thorough the backtesting is AND how confident a particular tested system might be moving forward:

1. Is the event or system backtested against individual stocks - one at a time OR can the event or system be tested against all the stocks that displayed the event or a given time period?

in other words

2. Is the backtesting of mechanical systems event-based or stock-based?

The latest issue of TAS&C (Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities) contains a review of my firm's The Odds Maker - the article describes this new method of robust event-based backtesting - worth a read.

I don't have a top four but have found in working on my mkt timing program that its a big help if you can use various indicators which do not draw from the same source

examples:

vix is an options volatility (fear) ratio
mclellan summations, advance decline statistics
rsi, mfi

Take any/all advice here with a grain of salt. A lot of investors get confused and think their way is the 'only' way. In truth there are many ways to skin the cat.

my backtesting

My initial goal was to write a program which would buy me into us mkts at the seasonal bottom which almost always occurs in the fall of each year. I started with contrarian indicators like vix and pcr, after having read with interest zweigs studies of pcr, advisor sentiment etc in his book.

I backloaded as much indicator data as was available, back to 1995 from cboe.com.

I then applied one consistent rule set across the entire backtest. Nothing is done any differently in a bear mkt than during a bull or trading range mkt. In addition to turning up fall seasonal buys, it began to detect the same thing in the spring. I then went on to add code for shorts, and rebuys to catch re-ignited rallies.

There are complete list of all trades at the yahoo group about the system.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/mvpsignalsystem/?yguid=273796305

One thing I've learned in my 7 years doing this, never accept any learned sounding post about system design. Question them about their own work and particularly what they feel works, not what they say won't work. Ironically the net system boards are chock full of 'harrumph that won't work' armchair system critics. Many times they are just quoting some sound bite they once heard and actually haven't done much system work.

There are also a large collection of meme's floating around the net like:

well if its any good, everyone will use it and it will become self-negating. (gag me)
ditto I was told if vix was any good, the same would happen, yet, its as useful to me today as 7 years ago, but the gurus who said that are missing.

Unfortuneately, much of the system world is plagued by over-analysis and reliance on cliched observations and very much so, negative thinking. There are some boards so deep into screening I'm not sure they remember the original goal was to invest and make money. Ditto I once saw a board where they were so worried about management fees that they would prefer an 11% fund with a 1% fee over a 15% fund with a 2% fee. (yow)

Example, a woman once observed to me that I would not be able to use the vix because it dramatically changes ranges every few years. She saw that as the end of it, I saw it as the beginning. I wrote a 200 day lookback code to judge where in recent range is vix so I could keep it useful. Taken at its face value, her comment was merely a give up and walk away comment. Not useful.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
Would like to know which top 4 (say!) indicators should you recommend for a
beginner to study ?
Thanks,
karmit

Hi Karmit, the things i think you as a new trader need to studie are the following, and that will give you most out of your time.

1:Slow stochastics, forget about the normal and fast, will create to many fakes.
2:Macd
3:Learn to use different timeframes with macd and slow stoch.

Other then that, there are loads of indicators that u can use, but just keep it simple.

Read up in the forums, alot of information here.

With regards
bashir Naimy

Categorize Indicators into Pattern, Price and Time

Hi Folks,
beginner to study ?
Thanks,
karmit

One of the first things you should do is:

1. Get a list of indicators

2. Find out the equations that are used to calculate them.

3. Put them into categories such as pattern, price and time.

The reason you want to do this is to make sure you do not have indicator overlap. For example using stochastics and RSI together. In my opinion, if you use three indicators, make sure you have at least one from each category. The idea being that if you identify a price and time zone then you may want to enter on a pattern. Specifically, Elliott count (Time), Fibonacci Retracement Zone (Price) and Closing Price Reversal (Pattern). If you need more price information, look for combinations of horizontal prices (Fibonacci Zones) and Gann Angles (Diagonal Price). Time could be combinations of Fib count, cycle and/or seasonal.

I hope this helps.

James A. Hyerczyk
The Pattern Price Time Report

I have a beginners question regarding indicators and hoping I am asking in the right thread.

Currently just started learning TA. Read 3-4 books and am going through Dr Alexander Elder's books. While I figured out what MA,EMA is all about, I am still in the dark regarding actual application.

Just a few observations re Indian Nifty Index, in last 2 months whenever RSI 2 goes in overbought zone, nifty retraces close to 12 EMA. Since in a bullish trend, this seems a perfect entry for positions.

My question is - is this what is called a "trading setup" and are there any books which elaborate on how different indicators can be used in tandem to setting up positional trades ?

Thanks

I have a beginners question regarding indicators and hoping I am asking in the right thread.

My question is - is this what is called a "trading setup" and are there any books which elaborate on how different indicators can be used in tandem to setting up positional trades ?

Thanks

For anyone learning to trade FOREX, this is a highly recomended book, explains all you will ever need about the indicators required to trade successfully -

The FX Bootcamp Guide to Strategic and Tactical Forex Trading

I would start by looking at the importance of support and resistance. I think no matter which method u use to trade u should always be aware of levels of support and resistance

Hi Folks,
beginner to study ?
Thanks,
karmit

Now I use just 2 indicators. Guppy Moving Averages and Bollinger Bands. The moving averages show how long term traders and short term traders are behaving in the market. Bollinger Bands are useful to show when prices might change direction at the extremes of a standard deviation.

Daryl Guppy has written several good books about his moving averages. Just Google him.