Which Instrument provides most information?

Darquan

I wanted to find out from people that have swing traded the different instruments (1 hour+ timeframes) if any are considered more reliable than the others in terms of information that can be gathered from TA and/or fundermental analysis.

For example more effective volume information is available on stocks then forex or futures.

I've heard forex trends and S&R are more reliable than futures S&P 500 etc.

Can anyone who has considered this please post their views.

It deepends also on the time period?

Do you want to be a short term trader, long term trader ?!

Hi - After years of experimenting with different instruments for short-term trades, I finally settled on the following two choices: 1) SPY stock (an Amex ETF) for daytrading, and 2) QQQQ options (nasdaq-based, which have the Amex ETF QQQQ underlier) for swing trades holding anywhere from overnight up to about 6 months. My reasons for using SPY as an S&P proxy rather than the customary ES eminis are twofold: 1) SPY generally exhibits less volatility than the ES, thus there is less chance of being stopped out by a hair on system trades, and 2) SPY allows me greater ability to customize the size of the trade and thus better control risk. Regarding swing trades, I like QQQQ ("cube") options as I said because: 1) cubes are one of the most heavily traded option contracts in the world, thus affording me good fills and very tight spreads. There is never a lack of liquidity with the QQQQ! 2) Cube options are a lot less expensive than SPX, OEX, or even SPY options and thus tie up less capital. A couple of rules I follow about options: First, I prefer at-the-money strikes with at least two months of life remaining, and I always liquidate anything that's still out-of-the-money no less than 30 days prior to expiration. Second, I never sell options....ever. Shorting would put me right back in the same unlimited risk scenario that I was trying to avoid in the first place. You still have terrific flexibility with long options...you can buy calls to bet on an uptrend and buy puts to bet on a downtrend, just like going long or short stocks or futures. Finally, I don't utilize complicated strategies such as spreads, delta hedging, etc. My philosophy is to keep it simple, employing options as a lower risk way than stocks or futures for making short-term directional bets on the broad market. Good luck and good trading! - Joe.

Last edited:
Hi, traderjoe777 - loooong time since your post above. I trade futures and forex, but now want to add an emini index futures daily system which trades up to 5 contracts (if all five entry signals have fired). Trading 5 x ES or EMD is too much for my account for swing trades, so I am looking at alternatives. Comparing with ES, if I trade 100 SPY per signal, all 5 signals would be the same as 1 x ES, which is manageable, but I am thinking SPY options might be a preferable alternative (especially as they are much more liquid than MDY options as an alternative to EMD eminis - this system tests best on EMD). When you trade ETF options (I see you trade QQQQ options), do you always trade the month corrresponding with the futures expiration, ie. March / June / Sept / December, or is that essentially irrelevant to ETF options ?

I guess the best way forward to is to simply start, one small option at a time : I an see Sept SPY ATM options are a little over $500 apiece. I have not traded options much, but I have studied them for years, and a "just in the money at least 40 days out" approach suits me fine.

Hope you get to see this post !

J.

PS. Typical trade hold is 5 - 10 days.