Where is the Top in the AUD? Ask the SSI.

jsales

By Kiana Danial

The Speculative Sentiment Index (SSI) continues to prove to be a reliable forecasting tool in the forex market. This unique innovation of FXCM Inc. (NYSE: FXCM) reveals where FXCM’s forex trading crowd is positioned, helps traders create powerful trading strategies, and provides traders with insight where the market might potentially move.

The SSI Diary on AUD/USD - March 2011

March 15 - The SSI suddenly goes positive for a short period as the AUDUSD broke below 1.0000. It looks like short traders took their profits and exited the market. There are now more longs than shorts at FXCM. It looks like the relief rally will be short-lived. The SSI is signaling a further drop in the AUDUSD, so there could be a trading opportunity in shorting (selling) the AUDUSD. The 0.9850 support is unlikely to hold.

March 17 - The SSI is negative again (-1.31), which means there are more accounts short the AUDUSD than long. The SSI is a contrarian indicator and signals more AUDUSD gains—there could be a trading opportunity in going long (buying) the AUDUSD.

March 21 - As the AUDUSD breaks 1.00, the SSI gets more negative, signaling that AUDUSD is likely to continue rallying further. The ratio of long to short positions stand at -2.60 as nearly 72% of traders are short. It is still not too late to go long AUDUSD.

March 25 - The ratio of long to short positions in the AUDUSD stands at an extreme -8.16. Nearly 89% of traders are short. Yesterday, the ratio was at -6.50, as 87% of open positions were short. The SSI is a contrarian indicator and continues to signal more AUDUSD gains.

March 28 - Nearly 87% of traders are still short AUDUSD, so the SSI continues to signal AUDUSD gains. We may be headed back to 1.03.

March 30 - Same as yesterday, the ratio of long to short positions in the AUDUSD stands at -6.92 as nearly 87% of traders are short. The SSI is a contrarian indicator and signals more AUDUSD gains going into April. The SSI has not yet signaled for a top, despite being at record levels.

In March, the SSI tells the story of how the currency trading crowd acted and reacted to the volatile AUD/USD, as seen in the chart above. It provided indispensible insight as the successful AUD trader would have been the one who followed the SSI signals and went against the crowd.

The SSI tracks positioning in eight currency pairs, providing signals for all the majors.

Increase Your Chances for Profit through SSI

When markets are trending the majority of retail forex traders sell into rallies (when the prices go up) and buy into declines. The historical data at FXCM Inc. shows that many of the most successful traders are actually the ones who move against the crowd. They can use the SSI to see what the crowd is doing and trade the markets as a contrarian.

FXCM has one of the largest cross-sections of forex traders in the world and, therefore, has a credible amount of client data from which to draw the SSI. As of February 2011, FXCM’s total retail trading volume was 250 billion.

About FXCM Inc.

FXCM Inc. (NYSE: FXCM) is a global online provider of foreign exchange (forex) trading and related services to retail and institutional customers worldwide.
At the heart of FXCM's client offering is No Dealing Desk forex trading. Clients benefit from FXCM’s large network of forex liquidity providers enabling FXCM to offer competitive spreads on major currency pairs. Clients have the advantage of mobile trading, one-click order execution, and trading from real-time charts. FXCM's UK subsidiary, Forex Capital Markets Limited, also offers CFD products with no re-quote trading and allows clients to trade forex, oil, gold, silver, and stock indices on one platform. In addition, FXCM offers educational courses on forex trading and provides free news and market research through DailyFX.com.

Trading foreign exchange on margin carries a high level of risk, and may not be suitable for all investors. DailyFX has taken reasonable measures to ensure the accuracy of the content herein, however, does not guarantee its accuracy, and will not accept liability for any loss or damage which may arise directly or indirectly from the content and your use of the charting indicator and EAs herein. In addition, the content herein, including but not limited to the charting indicators and EAs, is provided as general market commentary, and does not constitute investment advice.
Read full risk disclaimer.

Last edited by a moderator:
March 28th

Cherry tree in garden is starting to blossom. Already been onto council about potential wasp nest in the eves. USDJPY could go up.

March 29th

Had new pair of socks on today and fluff got caught in corner of big toe. This is bullish for USDJPY.

April 1st

Been invited onto CNBC europe :)

April 2nd

Really really really long cue in post office and on hold for 45 mins with council re: wasps nest. Long cable on fundamentals.

April 3rd

Left some chocolate on the radiator, it melted. Cover cable shorts.
:)

I'm currently within 5 pips of my target (0393 spot) for a Long which I've been holding for a while now.

JSales/SanMiguel - that's the sort of specificity I was looking for.

Nice piece Dash and although I assume it was meant humorously (why ain’t you banned yet son – losing your touch?), it does have an essence of the Taoist Trader about it.

I quite seriously know a trader who used the 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching and the Taoist Months of the year (there are 12 of them, but not the same as those we use here in the occident) and various other elemental cycles and natural phenomena (and a lot to do with Air, Fire, Wood, Metal and Water aspects for which I can’t remember the detail) – to trade.

He’s now under permanent sedation, but only after having made a stack. Makes you wonder. Or in his case, wander.

When you look at the systems some clowns take seriously on this site, the state of the plum blossom and the direction of the wind as an aid to decision making in the markets seems refreshingly open, honest and probably not that random at all.

I've been tracking this pair in my journal for a while.
First target was 1.0350,now we need to tag 1.0450,
and please don't laugh but i have a final target of 1.0970,
as for time frame i've no idea.

jezek, whether you're right or wrong, that's an honest and superior indication of your personal sentiment regarding this pair than the OP's. It has specificity.

I got within 2 pips of my target this morning before it came back a little. Still holding. Stop now moved up to 0353, 10 pips below Daily R1 (CET).

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is thinking I’m being a miserable old curmudgeon just for the sake of it, I just meant the initiating post for this thread is like just about every other talking-head piece - soaring generalities and quite useless for any practical purpose.

Translated and de-waffled, it basically says “The Aussie is quite high compared with where it’s been in the past. It probably won’t go much higher. Though it might a bit. Or quite a bit. Or not. Can’t say where it will go to. Or when. But whatever it does, you’ll be vaguely able to fit it the action within the various wibble-wobble fudge-finagling factors we’ve liberally sprinkled throughout this piece. We’ll be right at some point and be able to tell you ‘told you so’”.

And when they talk of “…0.9850 support is unlikely to hold…” while it’s trading close to 1.0400, you know they’re not talking to the majority of traders on this site.

But if you actually attempted to trade Short the Aussie based on this alone you’d have to get really lucky to get it right. In fact, you’d have to have more luck than a Black Swan which sure as Shinola is just waiting around the corner for a well-known ‘trading’ friend of ours…

{…flap flap flap flap flap…}

What’s the whooshing noise….?

Anyhow, as it turned into a trading journal of sorts, for the record, I'm out at my target of 393. Now it can do whatever the hell it wants....

jezek, whether you're right or wrong, that's an honest and superior indication of your personal sentiment regarding this pair than the OP's. It has specificity.

I got within 2 pips of my target this morning before it came back a little. Still holding. Stop now moved up to 0353, 10 pips below Daily R1 (CET).

Thanks Bramble,strange,Trade2win seems to have quite a few
traders who joined in 2003 must be a good vintage.
Good luck with your trades mate.

Thanks Bramble,strange,Trade2win seems to have quite a few
traders who joined in 2003 must be a good vintage.
Good luck with your trades mate.
LOL. Most of the others are dead now....just you and me left I think....

Trade came home at 09:18 BST. As I said above, Aussie can go to hell now I'm out and I'll be more than happy to ride it down when it's technically sensible to do so.

Oops, just remembered your target of 1.0970....Bit of a stretch from here, but what do I know....

Good luck.

Trade came home at 09:18 BST. As I said above, Aussie can go to hell now I'm out and I'll be more than happy to ride it down when it's technically sensible to do so.

Oops, just remembered your target of 1.0970....Bit of a stretch from here, but what do I know....

Good luck.

Blimey,give time mate,lol,my top target could be three months away.
It does look stretched to the top side now but look at this monthly
chart,we're in a raging monthly break out.
Tested support and up and away so who knows.
1.0450 not far off now though so i'm happy.
Cheers mate.

Attachments

• p1.gif
    p1.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 274

To Bramble.

There's a couple that post on the live fx calls thread as well.

I've been tracking this pair in my journal for a while.
First target was 1.0350,now we need to tag 1.0450,
and please don't laugh but i have a final target of 1.0970,
as for time frame i've no idea.

Second target hit.

Hi all interesting currency aud.
As jezek5 points out there seems no top in sight nearby
I also see it is gaining against all the major currencies.
Read something in the economist about aussi manufacturing power with its mines etc and huge demand in China,India for steel coal.I also wonder if the old carry trade is responsible here considering they have one of the highest interest rates in tthe world.
Having been knocked out twice I am going to wait on this one kiwi seems to be a better one to watch at least there are tops and bottoms to anchor to.

Hi all interesting currency aud.
As jezek5 points out there seems no top in sight nearby
I also see it is gaining against all the major currencies.
Read something in the economist about aussi manufacturing power with its mines etc and huge demand in China,India for steel coal.I also wonder if the old carry trade is responsible here considering they have one of the highest interest rates in tthe world.
Having been knocked out twice I am going to wait on this one kiwi seems to be a better one to watch at least there are tops and bottoms to anchor to.

Hi Gamma,i've been banging on about Mrs Wantanabe and her chums gaming this pair for a while on a au/us thread on another forum,nobody ever replies to me but them girls can trade,and it's so interest positive for them,i know thats only a small part but when you start adding it all up.