Where do banks get the money for interest payments from?

theEdge

Hi,

This question may seem basic, but I can't find a satisfactory answer anywhere...

Consider a savings account that pays 4.75% per annum. Where exactly does the bank or building society get this cash from? Most people would answer "they invest your money", but that's not a clear answer. As if the banks invest in the stock market, it's a bit of a risk to give 4.75% when they weren't guaranteed to make more than 4.75%. I suppose they could invest in bonds and treasuries, but why would these debt products pay more/less interest after Bank of England interest rate changes?

Regards,

Edge Trading.

they get it from lending your money to other people, via loans, credit cards, at much higher rates of interest - ie: 8.9% for loans and anything from 12.9% upward for credit cards etc.

Like your question.
Arb has given you part of the answer. For the rest I would recommend you read something about how central banks and treasuries work. A good starting point for you would be The Mystery of Banking by Murray N Rothbard. I think it may also be available as a free ebook so do a search and you should find it.

Joules MM1 kindly sent me the following response as a PM on 28th December 2006, and said it would be OK if I shared it with other T2W members. Here it is:

Originally Posted by Joules MM1
Where I am, a typical thing, used to be, to take your cash and pay you 3% p.a and then on-lend that same amount at a premium rate to someone else.......5% for example...... after costs the bank sat on the diff......these days the banks go to the capital markets for loan packages..... the markets are awash with cheap credit looking for a home.....the banks take the loan packages and separate them, then, on-sell to the public with add-ons which were originally part of the package that the bank loaned itself........the idea for many private banks is to pay a premium interest to have retail clout, a part of doing business, to attract kudos, goodwill....there's no real value in how the "you loan to me, I loan to them" deal works anymore but there is real value in the perception and the long-range debt (how the banks keep you and earn from fees) is still part of the same mortgage (engaged till death) strategy....the strategy is different today because the capital markets (globally) lend differently........more lenders are private adn are willing to take thinner slice or the earnings pie.....this also means attracting more customers through higher interest payments....less income but a larger share of the customer base........which is also another reason that globally a credit expansion continues to balloon......you know an infamous banking group wants to reinvent a christmas tale and call it Ebervisa scrooge......

the banks interest settings follow loan demand and interest rate demand.....watch the short and longterm rates swing in the US and you'll soon know what the US fed is about to do.....the banks are in that squeaz with their central issuers and the customers.....

.......everything is considered negotiable.....if you've got a BIG stash and you want a decent interest earnings then a bank will negotiate......money talks.....and same at the other end....you can negotiate the interest repayments regardless of what the central banks say......how does that saying go......you owe the bank a million and your in trouble......you owe the bank a billion and the banks in trouble........

banks clearly have to be more inventive today to squeaz retail value.....as arbitrage and cross-currencies are not my area there maybe someone who can shed light on other mechanisms that aid in interest activity related to this question......

julian

Finally finished Mystery of Banking and I must say that I now thoroughly understand the economy and supply and demand. WOW.. It's amazing how printing $50billion from fed escalates to $500billion in inflation.. Thanks again for that suggestion, great read! Any more?

LOL..glad you liked it ,but you need to be aware a lot has changed since that was written. What you have now is a basis from which to start..that's all so don't overplay what you think you understand.
In the interim the lovely financial markets with all those Havard rocket scientists have managed to 'add on' an almost art form of leaverage where one dollar can now be multiplied we don't know how many times without (LOL) any additional risk ...I'm being sarcastic here ...you never know what your risk is/was until it's been registered by your bank account ,but the world seems happy to believe what the Harvard rocket scientists wish it to believe so who am I to say any different.
I can't remember the guy's name ,but probably over half a century ago a guy did some work on the financial pyramid ...imagine an orthodox pyramid shape where each dollar was supported underneath by many dollars ...now invert that so the image becomes one dollar at the bottom supporting many 'dollars' above ..the latter is more akin to what we have today...how stable is it ?...you'd get a lot of different views on that ,but no one really knows ...can central banks actually control it anymore ? ..again you'd get different views on that ,but what we could say right now is their efforts over the last couple of years have been largely ineffective ...this is truly the cycle of tight money that never was ..they've had little ,or no effect on the expansion of credit todate which simply indicates that money is still way too cheap..
If nothing else you'll at least now have some idea why certain asset groups such as precious metals and property continue to be attractive longer term holds vis a vis 'cash' ,or fiat paper.

yeah, those Harvard Rocket Scientists might not know what Lovely Lady Lumps is exactly but they are taught how money really works, and they are closer to the exponential expansion of it than I am, therefore they have a step up on me. I did notice the reverse pyramid current financial situation and it is not pretty. I would imagine that when properly written out and examined thoroughly our country is running on at least a 40:1 leverage ratio.. With something like what $40trillion in indices and proposed market values and less than $3 trillion in actual reserves, I would imagine that our market is due for a serious adjustment within the next decade to 15 years especially with $45 trillion about to exchange hands here in the same time period. Every 7 seconds someone turns 50 in the US.. I see that as a ticking market bomb just priming for a big move. There needs to be a redistribution of wealth a la the Great Depression and World War II and it is well overdue. It's a great thing I can convert my USD to Gold extremely efficiently. :)

I know this is simple, there is a definitely pattern. It is right there, I am just not experienced enough to be able to comprehend it just yet.

Thanks again for your contributions, I appreciate it!