When to Exit a Trade ?

There are many ways to exit. It depends on you and what kind of plan/strategy/tools you have. You can exit through your tools, your support and resistance levels. You can even exit using fundamentals. So your question, although simple, has also quite broad answers. I think you should state down what and how you are trading right now before anyone can answer concretely for you.

i have perfect plan for benefit in trade and when many times i face to loss advantage from trade and its out of my budget then i leave my all hopes and exit the trade.

Haha this thread is now making me laugh, I have gone full circle.

Haha this thread is now making me laugh, I have gone full circle.

hey rsh, this isnt a laughing matter though. Most traders over leverage and "blow-up", that causes tears, not howls of laughter. Sorry to P on the parade, but needs saying.

Time in a trade is very important take 50-80% off within 2 hours and leave 20-50% on to run with the bigger move of the ADR range till NY close.

Aside from the trolls and spammers in some posts, there were also great, educated, answers here.

BabyPips is a great site, and the discipline recommended in the previous posts are good answers for the original question.

As a scalper, I have minimum goals. I exit a trade when my stop-losses are reached, or when I reach my limits, or before - but never after.

I'd rather lose some pips than overextend myself and not lock in my profits. I don't risk much and if the trend continues I may enter immediately after my limit takes me out of a trade.

ST

angelnish - this is the best question in trading and the hardest to answer. I can tell you my current thinking, still developing, don't regard this as the only right answer.

(Please note I am a swing trader and find my average holding period is 3 sessions, including the entry and exit sessions. this applies whether the trade is closed automatically or manually and whether it closes for a profit or a loss.)

Day 1 - Set profit target for half position at r:r = 1:1. so for every £1 I am risking on a position I will bank 50p if price goes into the black. The remainder has a trailing stop.

Day 2 - Close remainder of position as session ends if 1:1.5 or better.

Day 3 - Close remainder of position at 1:1 or better or in any case as session ends.

You will see I am not trying to wring the last £ from any position like the books tell us, I am trying to bank profit early before it goes back into the market (while I was temporarily right) and get out of the market to release resources for the next trade. Maximising r:r is for me at least a vain ambition: I might be right temporarily, but I just can't stay right for long enough to get a 10-bagger.

It's possible this approach will only make sense in markets with a closed period each 24hrs. Please note also I can't screen-watch continuously but have to dip in at midday and in London's last haf-hour.

Great!
Thanks for sharing Tomorton.

Completely depends on what kind of setup I'm trading and on what basis. Intraday, intraweek, intramonth or intrayear. In a nutshell they go like this:

1. ADR/AWR/AMR/AYR.
2. EOD.
3. Pattern MOT (measured objective target).
4. MACD MMRT (minimum must reach target).
5. Gaps and other technical levels.

Regards.
Bel.