When the loses keep coming.....

angelnish

What do you guys do when the loses keep on coming? When no matter what analysis you do the markets just give you a good kicking trade after trade.

I'm practising good MM so these loses aren't wiping out my account but after a 20% drawdown it's getting pretty demoralizing. I've only been trading for a while so this sort of drawdown is the first I've experienced. How long did it take you to be profitable in your trading experience?

I'm thinking maybe sticking to one pair now, probably the EUR/USD and just focussing my analysis on one open trade at a time so that my attention is not distracted.

Experiences people! Help me out of my psychological hole!

Stop trading as you're sh1t at it? It's working out pretty well for me as I've lost 0% this month.

what was your largest draw-down in back-testing ?

If you've exceeded it, STOP

This is an impossible question to answer without more information as the cause of your losses are not made clear. I would therefore advise only generally as under;

1. Are you sure you have an edge proven over a very large sample of set-ups?
2. Do you know sufficient about the edge, eg it's typical and maximum achieved strike rate, it's typical and maximum distributions of wins/losses etc, and have you optimised your money management to these metrics?
3. Do you understand what a trading edge is ? (and is not ?)
4. Does this drawdown fall in the known typical-maximum known/experienced metrics of the edge or does it exceed it both in absolute % terms and in terms of maximum no of losing trades experienced consecutively.
5. Are you following the entry and exit criteria of your edge - ie is your patience and discipline holding ? Ie is it the dge performing as it does/or not or is it you not executing it according to it's entry/exit criteria ?
6. Are you trading multiple set-ups over multiple instruments or just one or two set-up over multiple instruments ?
7. Are you trading with 'scared money ' ie money you cannot really afford to lose ?

etc..

Answer these questions for yourself and it may become clearer but as I say above -it is imposible to answer this question specifically as the details given are non specific. Your post though expresses the thought that you think the answer is more to do with psychology than not having an edge ? It could simply be that you are over leveraged for this edge. It sounds as though you may be in a 'death spiral' ie you are losing faith in your edge (if indeed it is an edge) and in your ability to execute it properly such that the theoretical gain it has shown is delieverd in real trading (the 'profit gap.') Be honest with yourself.

What do you guys do when the loses keep on coming? When no matter what analysis you do the markets just give you a good kicking trade after trade.

I'm practising good MM so these loses aren't wiping out my account but after a 20% drawdown it's getting pretty demoralizing. I've only been trading for a while so this sort of drawdown is the first I've experienced. How long did it take you to be profitable in your trading experience?

I'm thinking maybe sticking to one pair now, probably the EUR/USD and just focussing my analysis on one open trade at a time so that my attention is not distracted.

angelnish, you are on right track. EUR/USD is the best currency pair. If you have sufficient time to analysis market then you can go for more than one trade.

If you are continue loosing then you should stop trading and find out reasons behind it.

you should be ahead easy.........if your MM and discipline is as good as you say

your system is sh*te...keep looking and researching and improving ...even follow some of the live call threads here

even tell us what you are doing here and we can critique

sorry .....tough love from me :smart:
N

angelnish, you are on right track. EUR/USD is the best currency pair. If you have sufficient time to analysis market then you can go for more than one trade.

If you are continue loosing then you should stop trading and find out reasons behind it.

E/U is the best currency pair ...what does that mean ?

its not the instrument its her system :rolleyes:

Well at least you didn't spell "looses" but you need an extra 's' in there... "losses".

Anyway you are still finding your feet - so size right down - take 90% of the capital out of your account and trade with the 10% - then you can lose without feeling too guilty.

If you begin to become successful you will soon make the 90% profit that you took out of your account. Win/win..

Are you trying to apply a particular type of trading approach to an unsuitable market? What market does your trading approach do well in? Usually trading strategies do well in either ranging markets or trending markets, but rarely both. If you are trying to trade a trend following system during a ranging market you are likely to experience a period of losing trades and vice versa. A big part of trading is having the discipline to stay out of the market if conditions that suit your type of trading are not present.

As you say yourself, psychological factors come into play during a period of drawdown. If you are feeling emotional about the fact that you are 20% down you need to ensure that you step away from the screen for a few days and get yourself together. Trading while emotional is an almost guaranteed way to blow up; you start doubling up, increasing leverage, running losers, every mistake in the book. Your gun is no good to you if you have used all your ammo.

Take a break, the market will be still there next week.

Good trading.

Nigel

Are you trying to apply a particular type of trading approach to an unsuitable market? What market does your trading approach do well in? Usually trading strategies do well in either ranging markets or trending markets, but rarely both. If you are trying to trade a trend following system during a ranging market you are likely to experience a period of losing trades and vice versa. A big part of trading is having the discipline to stay out of the market if conditions that suit your type of trading are not present.

As you say yourself, psychological factors come into play during a period of drawdown. If you are feeling emotional about the fact that you are 20% down you need to ensure that you step away from the screen for a few days and get yourself together. Trading while emotional is an almost guaranteed way to blow up; you start doubling up, increasing leverage, running losers, every mistake in the book. Your gun is no good to you if you have used all your ammo.

Take a break, the market will be still there next week.

Good trading.

Nigel

Hey N......hows the 3D's going ?

the people reading this thread could do well to look at Andy's 3 ducks system which is a great intro to MA based systems (y)

N

Hey N......hows the 3D's going ?

the people reading this thread could do well to look at Andy's 3 ducks system which is a great intro to MA based systems (y)

N

Well NVP, yes, still going very nicely with the 3 Ds alright! May was very kind to me so I've taken a bit of a step back from the market in June. Think the FOMC this week could well set direction over the next while so sort of waiting for that now!

Hope things are going well with you!

Nigel

Well NVP, yes, still going very nicely with the 3 Ds alright! May was very kind to me so I've taken a bit of a step back from the market in June. Think the FOMC this week could well set direction over the next while so sort of waiting for that now!

Hope things are going well with you!

Nigel

Cant complain ...cant complain ;)

E/U is the best currency pair ...what does that mean ?

There are number of traders prefer E/U as trading currency pair in forex trading. Therefore it is the best currency pair (according to me) for trade.

There are number of traders prefer E/U as trading currency pair in forex trading. Therefore it is the best currency pair (according to me) for trade.

Does it ever end !

I'm seriously thinking of quitting this mod malarky when day after day i'm subjected to reading post after post of the purest drivel.

Now where's that wall, I can feel a head banging session coming on.

f*k b()11aks f"k :mad:

Does it ever end !

I'm seriously thinking of quitting this mod malarky when day after day i'm subjected to reading post after post of the purest drivel.

Now where's that wall, I can feel a head banging session coming on.

f*k b()11aks f"k :mad:

How bad can it be? I haven't seen anyone call you a motherf---- yet today :p

Peter

How bad can it be? I haven't seen anyone call you a motherf---- yet today :p

Peter

Perhaps not, but I'm sure he's had a few threats to cut off his balls and post them to his whore mother. Or was that Toast?

There are so many death threats around these days, it's hard to keep up.

EDIT:

Oh, that reminds me Pete.

Don't disagree with me about trading again you c*cksucker, or I'll cut your f***ing head off and stick it up your f***ing ass. One call to Palermo, that's all it takes.

Perhaps not, but I'm sure he's had a few threats to cut off his balls and post them to his whore mother. Or was that Toast?

There are so many death threats around these days, it's hard to keep up.

EDIT:

Oh, that reminds me Pete.

Don't disagree with me about trading again you c*cksucker, or I'll cut your f***ing head off and stick it up your f***ing ass. One call to Palermo, that's all it takes.

Yeah,Pete is gonna wake up one morning with a horses head in his bed. Mind you, he may just roll back over thinking it's his wife.

Only joking Pete:cheesy:

Take time to consider each of your entries, and why you made the decision each time.

If it appears that you've been unlucky, then keep going, but reduce the risk until you can see the profits returning.

The alternative is that you find a flaw in you system and need to adjust it accordingly.