Whats your trading setup?

StockHunter

I noticed that there are a lot of tech support requests, so I figure I'd start a thread that was just plain fun :D. Brag up that computer you put your hard earned money into!

Mine:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz (1333MHz FSB)
RAM: 2GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
Monitor: 1 Samsung SyncMaster226BW @ 1680 x 1050
GPU: nVidia 8800GTS 512MB
HardDrives: 2 x 500GB 7200 RPM running RAID 1

Nice system StockHunter.
May I suggest more monitors ? as this will give you an over all glance of the markets with out switching from window to window.

Must logg of now are need to wind up my comp LOL :)

I have a system that just about runs Battlefield 2. That is all I'm saying. Two 17" TFT screens, though.

Here you go then
Intel quad core --8GB Ram--1 Tb hd -- OS Windows xp64 -- 3 x Lg 19 in screens. Just wish I had faster broadband, only 2 mb.

Nice system StockHunter.
May I suggest more monitors ? as this will give you an over all glance of the markets with out switching from window to window.

Must logg of now are need to wind up my comp LOL :)

I find that mulitpule computers work best for me. I run my borker on a laptop that i'm borrowing because my other computer went down. This comp (above) runs my trading software, and the software I have shows the overall market very well (visualtrader) so I only need 2 programs :).

mine
intel quad core @3ghz, 4gb DDR2, nvidia 8800gts,vista, 1Xbenq 24"lcd, 1x22"acer. and none of that helps my trading one bit.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz, 3gb DDR2 ram, Nvidia 8800 Gtx 768MB, 19" Samsung Syncmaster.

Ready for my next one as prices seem so damn cheap right now?! Highest spec AMD Quad Core (£135) and ATI Graphics. Although I might wait till I'm forced to use Vista and go for the 8GB memory :D

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz, 3gb DDR2 ram, Nvidia 8800 Gtx 768MB, 19" Samsung Syncmaster.

Ready for my next one as prices seem so damn cheap right now?! Highest spec AMD Quad Core (£135) and ATI Graphics. Although I might wait till I'm forced to use Vista and go for the 8GB memory :D

Yeah they are, I built my computer back in feb. for $2,000USD (including UPS), and now for the same thing it's less than $1,500USD lol.

Think I paid £750 for mine (as above) . Not bad considering the spec. Windows xp 64 can run 8mb without the need for Vista.

This is mine:
2 desktop DELL XPS 730 :
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (3.0GHz)
NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra
4 x 1GB DDR3-1333
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra in SLI
2 x Hitachi Desktar HDS721010KLA330 SATA HDD
1TB (Total capacity: 1TB via RAID 1) at 7200RPM

It would be informative to see a graph plotting PC power against trading success (results).

Am I alone in suspecting there would be little correlation? Eg - the best computer on earth wouldn't have prevented some of the trades I'd rather forget about !

Interesting thread though.

It would be informative to see a graph plotting PC power against trading success (results).

Am I alone in suspecting there would be little correlation? Eg - the best computer on earth wouldn't have prevented some of the trades I'd rather forget about !

There is indeed some buying frenzy or furry when you start trading,based on the belief that all traders should use Area 51, star trek inspired computers and on the error that their home setup should look like a NYSE trading floor. This is just a misconception because most average dual core computers these days can handle many applications that cover your trading needs. So, there's no need to act foolish like my friend (a beginner trader) who bought two HP thunderbirds (to be read UFO's) and throw your capital on the window. Just start with a medium config.
My recent configuration was bought from the profits I made in 3 months. :D

P4, Win XP Pro, 1GB Ram, 200GB hd, Intel mobo chipset - all housed in small form factor and silent Antec Aria case, 22" widescreen mon, cordless kbd & mouse, IPAQ PPC, landline ISP connection, cheapo wireless router, printer chosen for ability to use cheapo non-prop cartridges, Tesco paper.

Backed up by: 160GB Buffalo NAS hard drive, s/h 12" lightweight Toshiba laptop (duplicate software, on,connected and acting as UPS backup), spare (old) 15" TFT mon, Vodafone mobile broadband dongle, spare corded mouse & kbd, assorted flashdrive memory sticks & SD cards, spare router, ditto printer.

Nothing fancy or expensive - all designed for max reliability and cheap / easy replacement. Rock solid reliable - leaves any remaining brainpower to deal with trading!

Last edited:

lol this thread is for fun :p. Never said a better computer makes you a better trader.

Are you guys using a wireless mouse while trading or do you prefer a mouse with a cable (delay issue)? Anyone of you using a separate keypad or any other hardware tool for entering and closing positions?

Hello

I have 3 computers and few ideas but later now:

quad Q6600
p5ws64 wallstreet (4 pci-e slots)
4gb ram patriot pc6400lgk
2x WD 150GB RAID0 (and trueimage for weekly bcp)
gf8600 pasive x2 not in sli mode
XP 64bit

2x standard low cost pc
c2d e4300@3ghz
4gb ram
300gb segate cheap hdd
matrox g450 PCI (4 monitors)
xp 32bit (problems with matrox 64bit drivers.)

ok lets start.... First one is good fo main station coz you can run up to 16 monitors... for charting and some info i use 2nd and 3rd comp. with multi monitors connected to matrox g450 witch you can get cheaply from ebay but mostly without plugs (dms59)
RAID 0 is for speed and i do bcups evey week coz most common thing is system problem then hardware.

Good config! :)
Anyway, whenever I make some extra profits I like so spend some cash on the latest IT products. So, basically, when the i7 processor was out in shops guess who was there to get it?!
I like good harware and extreme tech configurations but this doesn't make me a better trader. I trade the same plan and ideas on a 386 or on my intel quads. :cheesy:
Good hardware is just a matter of making things more confortable for you. NOTHING TO DO WITH TRADING SKILLS.

Are you guys using a wireless mouse while trading or do you prefer a mouse with a cable (delay issue)? Anyone of you using a separate keypad or any other hardware tool for entering and closing positions?

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with no problems.