What makes a weak hand?

hard endless work trumps the self satisfied and supposedly self knowing in this industry every time.

Agree that there is no cure for self satisfaction and that will hold anyone back in trading or any other endeavor.

But how can hard work alone trump self knowledge? I don't see where Julian said self knowledge was unnecessary. Without self knowledge, there is no empathy and appreciation of how others make decisions, so how can one direct the hard work to a productive line of inquiry? The analogy here is a rudderless ship.

One of my initial problems was endless hard work going nowhere as I was not correctly focused (hundreds of posts here learning nothing about myself or others for example). It isn't just about "endless" effort and making a lot of activity. If you don't have the wisdom to direct your energy along productive lines it is a waste.

This is something where experience and maturity can help, but not always as some never learn how to work smart as well as hard. But when you take it to the market, yes you need a method, and no amount of self knowledge will overcome an inadequate or faulty method. With the correct self knowledge, awareness and honesty, you wouldn't be trying to trade a method without understanding why it works is the point. Faulty method comes from faulty approach which comes from failure to correctly perceive the nature of the problem to be solved in the first place. Back to empathy and self awareness.

There is a saying in poker. When you sit down at a table if you don't know who the fish is it's probably you. So perhaps if you don't know what a weak hand is then the chances are you are holding one.

you know you played a weak hand when you puke out of your position and others take advantage of what you and other people like you have done. don't bother with all the fluff just find a way to buy low and sell high. focus on what matters and why it matters.

Re: What makes a weak hand.....

........too much banging the bishop, slapping the monkey, or choking the chicken (y) ....normally makes for a weak hand....but bloody strong wrists tho :cheesy:

Last edited:
[QUOTE
Deep subject, remember to enjoy the present and not get bogged down with heavy subjects. But at the same time, don't shy away from hard work as that is where the rewards are to be found. Good weekend to all.[/QUOTE]

Highly ironic that the man (sexism!) who wrote this fine post laced it with landmines of heavy (judgement!) subjects.

You buried the lead tho,"Enjoy the present", that is the only reality that we can be certain isn't a false memory from Frank Sinatra's visit to the ladies book club.

If plotting curves and tweaking algorithms does it for you then this is the place to learn new tricks to try for arguments sake first and then with hard earned dollars when you are ready to road test them.

The more I Iearn the more humble I become, this is my newest favorite quote.

Bill Hicks
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”

I really enjoy trading forex. Even when I get losses I know that I made it doing my favourite job. It keeps me balanced on my emotional level so I won't give up.