What is "trading"?

Rhody Trader

I know we have some philosopher types on this board. I'd like to hear how folks define the term "trading", or the difference between "trading" and "investing".

For my own part, I differentiate trading from investing in terms of expectancy of position closure. By that I mean as a trader I enter in to a position with a fairly good idea of either how long I'm likely to be in the market or where I'm going to get out - maybe even both. Investing, on the other hand, is more of an open-ended proposition.

Again, this is just my take. I'd like to see what others have to say.

Rhody,
You provide a definition of "Trading".........and I'll provide you with a definition of "Investing"
d998

ducati998 said:
Rhody,
You provide a definition of "Trading".........and I'll provide you with a definition of "Investing"
d998

As I said originally, to my mind "trading" is entering a position in the market in which I have a predetermined expectation of either when or where I'm going to get out. For example, the day trader will be out by the end of the sesson and the swing trader expects to hold a position 1-3 days. Longer term traders may not have as clear an idea of when they will be exiting a position (thought sometimes they might), but they may have a decent idea of where they expect to get out in price terms.

That's my definition, for what it's worth.

You've taken things back a step by introducing the term "operation" in to the mix. It's a fair point of discussion, as that relates to the business of trading/investing, but your definition of an "investment operation" does not strike me as being any different than a "trading operation". It doesn't, to my mind, give me a definition of "investing". When you say, however, that a target determines your exit, I think "trading". Ensuring the safety of principal does not apply only to investing. Nor does analysis.

As I originally stated, "investing" is an open ended situation in my thinking. I may invest in a stock because I believe the company's growth prospects to be outstanding, and therefore I expect price appreciation and/or good dividend income. In such a case, however, I do not enter the transaction with a preconception of when or where I would exit. The selling point would be determined when my ongoing process of analyzing the company altered my opinion of the company or the stock's ability to continue appreciating. That could be tomorrow, or in ten years, or never. The price could be the same, higher, or lower than when I bought.

Perhaps a better example would be real estate. Investing would be buying a property with positive cashflow which you expect to hold for a long time, but which you might sell if a really good offer came in, in the tax situation changed or expenses increased. Trading real estate would be "flipping", whereby you purchase a distressed or undervalued property, maybe fixed it up a bit, then turn around and sell it at a higher price within a short period of time. In the first case, you have no preset selling time horizon or price, but will react to changes in the market and/or property, while in the latter you expect to be out within a specific time.

Trading.. short term buying and selling, cutting losses and taking profits.

Investing, see trading, but you forget the stop loss bit and 'it will be okay if I wait a bit longer'

Rhody,

but your definition of an "investment operation" does not strike me as being any different than a "trading operation". It doesn't, to my mind, give me a definition of "investing"

But you see this is your bias coming to the surface. You have a preconceived notion of what "Investment" means to yourself. Nothing wrong with that. But it does limit you as to your exploitation of investors within the market.

Buy and hold, can be a strategy, but it is only one of many. This is the key difference. "Trading only has 1 strategy.........follow the price trend, in whatever timeframe you choose.
Investing, however encompasses many different strategies, timeframes.

I concede that you may wish to call these trading strategies, due to the question of timeframe, and thats fine, possibly then a better seperation would be,.........

PRICE SPECULATION as opposed to INVESTING.
Trading, after all is a description of "what happens" rather than a philosophy.

As I originally stated, "investing" is an open ended situation in my thinking. I may invest in a stock because I believe the company's growth prospects to be outstanding, and therefore I expect price appreciation

We then have the factor of analysis.
This is really the crux of the differentiation. Speculation is the exact prediction of the future course of price in a specific timeframe, and must be proven either right or wrong, via numerous methodologies classified under technical analysis.

Investment is the analysis of the business, via accounting methodologies, and ignores the market fluctuations in price. Profit can be realised in numerous different ways.

The selling point would be determined when my ongoing process of analyzing the company altered my opinion of the company or the stock's ability to continue appreciating. That could be tomorrow, or in ten years, or never. The price could be the same, higher, or lower than when I bought.

Agreed, to a point.
The difference however lies in, most businesses will mature at a point in their lifespan, some may be cyclical, etc. Part of the analysis is to determine the "type" of business, and ascertain the value paid, to calculate the value to be gained, and exit when full value is obtained.

Perhaps a better example would be real estate. Investing would be buying a property with positive cashflow which you expect to hold for a long time, but which you might sell if a really good offer came in, in the tax situation changed or expenses increased. Trading real estate would be "flipping", whereby you purchase a distressed or undervalued property, maybe fixed it up a bit, then turn around and sell it at a higher price within a short period of time. In the first case, you have no preset selling time horizon or price, but will react to changes in the market and/or property, while in the latter you expect to be out within a specific time.

Your real estate analogy rests on the adding of value to realise an appreciation in price.
This is not trading to my mind, but investing. You through your analysis have recognised that the house, apart from appearances, is undervalued, by adding paint, you realise, or release that value.

This is exactly the principal of value investing.
Trading......or speculating relies on the greater fool theory......that you pay $10, some greater fool will pay you $11. And so it goes, until whoever buys at $100 is in for much pain, when it reverts to $10.........if of course they hang on.........which no-one in their right minds would......would they?

Cheers d998

It seems that the crux of our disagreement revolves around the method of analysis chosen. You have equated technical analysis to trading and fundamental analysis to investing. While I would tend to agree that one involved in the former will almost certainly be a speculator/trader, I will disagree that fundamental analysis necessarily equates to investing. One can trade based on value, just as one can invest based on it. I personally do both. It comes back to expectations. My trades are ones where I see a disconnect between price and value and look to exploit that with a fairly clear idea of my exit strategy. My investments don't have that end game predetermined, at least not when originated, because I expect "value" to change over time.

That all said, your the idea of "Price Speculation vs Investing" hits the mark in a lot of ways.

I would argue, however, that speculation is not proven right or wrong by technical analysis methods. Rather they both look to the same thing - price movement, or the lack thereof.

Also, to say trading only has one strategy - a trend following one - is just as incomplete as saying that investment is only buy-and-hold. Speculation can be just as much about lack of motion as motion. To that end, it can encompass numerous strategies.

In the final analysis there isn't really a huge difference, both entail taking risks.

A trader taking very small risks and gradually building up equity feels like an investor.

An investor taking big risks in one or two stocks feels like a trader.

But if someone invests in a company for the main purpose of obtaining a dividend income then i suppose that person cant really be classed a trader.

Last edited:
Another question here..
If you take out a short position and hold it for a long time.. are you an 'investor' ;)
I frequently do that

Racer said:
Another question here..
If you take out a short position and hold it for a long time.. are you an 'investor' ;)
I frequently do that

I don't see any reason why not.

You could be classified as an 'anti' investor more like?
But I don't mind as long as it makes me money.

I don't necessarily think that's true, in actual terms anyway. The textbook definition of investing has to do with using an asset to produce profits or income. You may not be buying anything, but you are putting money to work in the form of margin in an effort to make more money. That's investing, despite the labels folks might put on it.