What is CPA? Is recongised around the world?

non47

Hi, I'm so sick looking all the licence & certificates (CFA, CTM, CFTe, CPA...) I have to choose one, but i have some doubts.

CPA (Certified Public Accountant) is the field that i like after sotck market field, i'm from Spain, and i don't know if this certificate is only for USA or it can be used around the world?

Thank you very much!

Countries differ in their recognition of professional designation. You'd need to pick what country/ies you want to work in and find the most widely accepted across the board.

Also you need to decide what it is you want to do.

Countries differ in their recognition of professional designation. You'd need to pick what country/ies you want to work in and find the most widely accepted across the board.

Also you need to decide what it is you want to do.

Look, i don't want to target a unique country and prepare a specific and limited designation.

My target are Malaysia, Singapore, India, China and Emirates Arab.

I'm talking about designation like CFA or MBA, that are valid around the world.

Please guide me, i'm so sick thinking every day about my career.

Thank your very much!

I am an FCA ( qualified as ACA in the UK ).

It is a pretty universal and versatile qualification and it allowed me to work in many countries in the world. I lived and worked in 7 countries other than the UK - in Europe, the Middle East, Far East and Australasia. It is a wonderful professional qualification to have.

My son has just started training as an ACA with Deloittes in London. He had the choice of working at JP Morgan and Deloittes but chose Deloittes even though the pay was substantially lower. I advised him to get his ACA and then start a career in banking if he wants. The ACA qualification opens many doors especially if you have qualified through the London office of a major international accounting firm.

However, I would say that the entry requirements are very stringent for major firms. A University degree at minimum 2.1 level is required. Even after getting that you have to get through a tough selection procedure in which you are required to jump through a myriad of hoops before they decide whether or not you fit their template.

CPA is the American equivalent of ACA.

MBA's are of no great use unless you have a major one like a Harvard MBA.

There are thousands upon thousands of MBA courses worldwide and only a few of them are of value in a career sense. Basically MBA's are ten a penny and the letters are often thought to stand for Master of Bu*gger All.

It is much better to have a professional financial qualification to make yourself marketable for employers.

non47, which country are you from ?

Your profile says you are from Portugal.

Portugal

In Portugal, to be a qualified accountant or auditor, having an academic degree is obligatory, and the certification is exclusively awarded by the Ordem dos Revisores Oficiais de Contas (OROC), a professional organization. In general, accountants or auditors accredited by the Ordem dos Revisores Oficiais de Contas are individuals with university graduation diplomas in business management, economics, mathematics and even law, who after further studies, applied for an exam at the Ordem dos Revisores Oficiais de Contas and received the certification to be a ROC (Revisor Oficial de Contas), the highest professional qualification in the field of accountancy. Any citizen having a polytechnic degree as accounting technician is also entitled to apply for the exam and certification at the OROC

MBA's are of no great use unless you have a major one like a Harvard MBA.

There are thousands upon thousands of MBA courses worldwide and only a few of them are of value in a career sense. Basically MBA's are ten a penny and the letters are often thought to stand for Master of Bu*gger All.

It is much better to have a professional financial qualification to make yourself marketable for employers.

non47, which country are you from ?

Thank you very much for your opinion!! Great!

Yes, i know that CFA is the best option, but i don't know if i will be able to complete the 3 Levels. My math level is little poor... Is there any complicaetd formulas that i have to learn?

I love the Technical Analysis, so i was thinking to do the CMT, but i don't know if it will open me doors around the world or not.

I am from Spain, and so tired of this country. Need to get out as soon as possible.

Thank you very much Ambrose.

Your profile says you are from Portugal.

Portugal

In Portugal, to be a qualified accountant or auditor, having an academic degree is obligatory, and the certification is exclusively awarded by the Ordem dos Revisores Oficiais de Contas (OROC), a professional organization. In general, accountants or auditors accredited by the Ordem dos Revisores Oficiais de Contas are individuals with university graduation diplomas in business management, economics, mathematics and even law, who after further studies, applied for an exam at the Ordem dos Revisores Oficiais de Contas and received the certification to be a ROC (Revisor Oficial de Contas), the highest professional qualification in the field of accountancy. Any citizen having a polytechnic degree as accounting technician is also entitled to apply for the exam and certification at the OROC

I think there is an error, i am from Spain, not from portugal. ;)

Please answer me to this part of my previuos message:

[My math level is little poor... Is there any complicaetd formulas that i have to solve in CFA exams? ]

I am from Spain, and so tired of this country.

The warmth, mild winters and sun must get tiresome. If I didn't have so many ties, I'd move to Ibiza. (I suppose I could put my collection of ties on ebay. Budum tsh.)

[My math level is little poor... Is there any complicaetd formulas that i have to solve in CFA exams? ]

You will need to have a good standard of mathematics.

But I really don't know just how complicated the maths is these days for the accountancy exams. I did my exams many many years ago.

Look, i don't want to target a unique country and prepare a specific and limited designation.
My target are Malaysia, Singapore, India, China and Emirates Arab.
I'm talking about designation like CFA or MBA, that are valid around the world.
Please guide me, i'm so sick thinking every day about my career.
Thank your very much!

You are not listening to what I am saying. Some countries DO NOT ACCEPT CERTAIN PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS.
For instance I know that ACCA is not valid in Australia but ACA and CPA are.
ACA isn't valid in some countries where ACCA is.
You need to look at what certification covers your countries of interest.

You've already been told about MBA so unless you have 60k+ to pi55 and a blow your socks off GMAT you can throw that idea right in the bin.

If you are rubbish at maths you haven''t got a snowball in hell's chance of passing CFA. You'll need to study some maths first.
Modern professional accountancy exams don't stress you too much on the maths side but you still need to know your way about formulae.

As for CPA not sure where you'd sit the exams but you could check the website for a list of approved employers for the experience side of the qual and see if any of them operate in Spain. They'll be able to fill you in on the details for international students.

You are not listening to what I am saying. Some countries DO NOT ACCEPT CERTAIN PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS.
For instance I know that ACCA is not valid in Australia but ACA and CPA are.
ACA isn't valid in some countries where ACCA is.
You need to look at what certification covers your countries of interest.

You've already been told about MBA so unless you have 60k+ to pi55 and a blow your socks off GMAT you can throw that idea right in the bin.

If you are rubbish at maths you haven''t got a snowball in hell's chance of passing CFA. You'll need to study some maths first.
Modern professional accountancy exams don't stress you too much on the maths side but you still need to know your way about formulae.

As for CPA not sure where you'd sit the exams but you could check the website for a list of approved employers for the experience side of the qual and see if any of them operate in Spain. They'll be able to fill you in on the details for international students.

Thank you scose. I have started study maths today. I think that nothing is impossible, if this is the way that suite me, i have to do it.

MBA is not in my plan.

Thank you very much.