Weekend Idle Chatter about trading or whatever.

I no longer reside on the shores of the UK and I'm very happy about it!

I picked up an NZ Daily express last week and there was a spread about road signs in Polish!!! Thats just taking the Michael....

Can you think of 5 things that you'd really actually miss if you left? I can't!

wasp said:

I picked up an NZ Daily express last week and there was a spread about road signs in Polish!!! Thats just taking the Michael....

I haven't been back to the UK since 1987. I get Brooke Bond tea from an Indian shop near the Ramblas. I get the news on the web. I like to criticise about the British way of life, but only to you guys. I'm very jealous of the Brits when I talk to Spaniards. I find that Spaniards are, in general, friendly towards us which is why I've stayed so long :LOL:

When I cross the bar, I don't want to be stuck in one of those horrible cypts that they have, here. That's an unpleasant Spanish custom that I've never got used to :eek: Cremation for me :LOL:. But I would not like to live in one of the English speaking places in the south, either. I learned the language and stick with the locals in my everyday life. Racism? I have a hard time in the gym when an English club beats Barça, but when an English club beats Madrid, I'm a hero. :D

Split

wasp said:

I miss a pint of John Smith. My brother flys out tomorrow,wow he can bring me some! Thanks for that wasp :cheesy:

millsy500 said:
I miss a pint of John Smith. My brother flys out tomorrow,wow he can bring me some! Thanks for that wasp :cheesy:

Mine's Bass (for men)! I can get that here, too.

Split

millsy500 said:
Is that Shandy Bass for men split :LOL:

No, the big television deep baritone voice - "Bass, for Men". Do you remember that ad? Maybe they, still, have it. Puts hair on your chest, lad! :LOL:

Split

Splitlink said:
No, the big television deep baritone voice - "Bass, for Men". Do you remember that ad? Maybe they, still, have it. Puts hair on your chest, lad! :LOL:

Split
Sure your not refering to the old spice for men advert :LOL:
I think the bass one was a little before my time actually split. I don't think they even sell it in pubs anymore.

millsy500 said:
Sure your not refering to the old spice for men advert :LOL:
I think the bass one was a little before my time actually split. I don't think they even sell it in pubs anymore.

Another reason for not going back to the UK, then ;) Mind, you would have to have a better reason for going back, other than for a glass of beer. I'm nearer, but I still can't be bothered. When the kids were young, and my folks were alive, we used to take them home for the summer months, to get away friom the heat, but they go to other places, too, now, so there is no incentive.

I was at sea, before, and got down to Wellington and Napier. Dances at the nurses' home--great stuff. I remember, in Wellington, we got invited to someone's relative's home and he showed us his collection of home brew, down in the cellar. Bottles of all shapes and sizes, some with the tops blown off. Horrible stuff! But we said we liked it and drunk it. :D Good job that the next day was a Sunday and the port didn't work. I never drank anyone's home brew again, even when it had a good reputation.

Split

Last edited:
wasp said:

Family
Freinds
Sheffield United
Sheffield
...........I'm stuck.......

but there's 4 good reasons. My inability to come up with 5 is a bit depressing though :eek:

UTB

Last edited:
the blades said:
Family
Freinds
Sheffield United
Sheffield

but there's 4 good reasons. By inability to come up with 5 is a bit depressing though :eek:

UTB

Sheffield United?? :LOL:

the blades said:
Family
Freinds
Sheffield United
Sheffield

but there's 4 good reasons. By inability to come up with 5 is a bit depressing though :eek:

UTB

What with your football club and my beer, I think millsi500 (can't we call you something shorter, by the way?) is trying to show that he comes from some other part of the UK. Where does John Smith come from, anyway?

Me and the Mrs. are wanting to move to Spain as well - so, Split' - next time there's an unexpected knock at your door . . .

Pam (my better half) is a town planner working for Torbay Council. She's completely hacked off with the council and planning in general. So much so in fact, that she's tendered her resignation and leaves next month. She's going to do a T.E.F.L. course, so that if / when we do move to Spain, she can earn something while I'm trading. :D

She's leaving because the planning system just doesn't work. For example, Jo bloggs puts in an application to build an extension to his home. Very sensibly, he contacts the planning dept' to sound them out before instructing architects and paying the application fee etc. Jo B' is told that in principle, there are unlikely to be any objections from the planning authority. He gets excited, instructs his architect accordingly and submits an application. As expected, the application is recommended for approval. However, there's a jealous neighbour down the road whose own application was refused last year and, if they can't have their extension, Jo Bloggs shouldn't be allowed his either. So they object. - not to the planning department - but to a couple of mates in the pub who, as it happens, are also on the local parish council. So, Jo Bloggs' application now has to go before a the full Planning Committee and, although the professional planning officer with years of experience recommends that they approve it - they don't. The application is refused. Jo B' appeals with excellent planning arguments as to why the application should be approved by the inspector from the D. o. E. Meanwhile the Council have to defend the Planning Committee Councillors decision for refusal. The same planning officers who recommended that the application be approved, now have to prepare a case as to why it should be refused at appeal. How daft is that! :mad: Committee rooms are booked, site visits are organised, hotel reservations and travel arrangements are made for the D.o.E. inspector, a whole bunch of people are involved, needlessly. Time, money and resources wasted. The 'carbon neutral' brigade would have a field day.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Actually, my wife has just read this to make sure I've got the facts right and her comment was that this is but a minor frustration with the system.
Rant over,
Tim.

timsk said:
Me and the Mrs. are wanting to move to Spain as well - so, Split' - next time there's an unexpected knock at your door . . .

Pam (my better half) is a town planner working for Torbay Council. She's completely hacked off with the council and planning in general. So much so in fact, that she's tendered her resignation and leaves next month. She's going to do a T.E.F.L. course, so that if / when we do move to Spain, she can earn something while I'm trading. :D

She's leaving because the planning system just doesn't work. For example, Jo bloggs puts in an application to build an extension to his home. Very sensibly, he contacts the planning dept' to sound them out before instructing architects and paying the application fee etc. Jo B' is told that in principle, there are unlikely to be any objections from the planning authority. He gets excited, instructs his architect accordingly and submits an application. As expected, the application is recommended for approval. However, there's a jealous neighbour down the road whose own application was refused last year and, if they can't have their extension, Jo Bloggs shouldn't be allowed his either. So they object. - not to the planning department - but to a couple of mates in the pub who, as it happens, are also on the local parish council. So, Jo Bloggs' application now has to go before a the full Planning Committee and, although the professional planning officer with years of experience recommends that they approve it - they don't. The application is refused. Jo B' appeals with excellent planning arguments as to why the application should be approved by the inspector from the D. o. E. Meanwhile the Council have to defend the Planning Committee Councillors decision for refusal. The same planning officers who recommended that the application be approved, now have to prepare a case as to why it should be refused at appeal. How daft is that! :mad: Committee rooms are booked, site visits are organised, hotel reservations and travel arrangements are made for the D.o.E. inspector, a whole bunch of people are involved, needlessly. Time, money and resources wasted. The 'carbon neutral' brigade would have a field day.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Actually, my wife has just read this to make sure I've got the facts right and her comment was that this is but a minor frustration with the system.
Rant over,
Tim.

Oh thanks Tim ,

My plans are being drawn as I type......and the phone call was made beforehand.....oh dear .....grrrrrr...

C V

*** STOP PRESS ***

El Daily Mailo.

Barcelona: There has been rioting on the streets about the influx of british immigrants into Spain.
Locals describe scenes of groups of sun-burned people swamping their local communities with their foreign ways.
A local, who wished to remain anonymous said, "If they want to assimilate into our communities thats fine, but they should wear spanish-style clothes, not socks-and-sandals and union-jack shorts. They come here, with their funny foods, like HP sauce, jellied-eels and tea-bags, and might change the cultural landscape to spains detriment. Also, they take our houses, and our locals cant afford to buy cheap homes for themselves. Its a disgrace!"

:LOL: :LOL:

timsk said:

Rant over,
Tim.

God Help Us! But things could get worse here, where there is a lot of corruption in the local councils, especially with planning permissions.

That's bad enough but, after the appropriate palms have been greased , when the old regime is voted out the new group can order all those buildings to be demolished. I'v seen tv shots of whole buildings, hotels, etc., coming down like a pack of cards because they have no building permission.

For further information on this, Google "corruption Marbella". The same has been happening in the Balearics, too.

Whatever you do, make sure that that hard earned trading capital goes into a place that is legitimate.

Split.

trendie said:
*** STOP PRESS ***

El Daily Mailo.

Barcelona: There has been rioting on the streets about the influx of british immigrants into Spain.
Locals describe scenes of groups of sun-burned people swamping their local communities with their foreign ways.
A local, who wished to remain anonymous said, "If they want to assimilate into our communities thats fine, but they should wear spanish-style clothes, not socks-and-sandals and union-jack shorts. They come here, with their funny foods, like HP sauce, jellied-eels and tea-bags, and might change the cultural landscape to spains detriment. Also, they take our houses, and our locals cant afford to buy cheap homes for themselves. Its a disgrace!"

:LOL: :LOL:

Jesus, Trendie, you make this place seem like a mad house! I've just come home from a wander down the Ramblas, carrying a bag of Brooke Bond PG Tips! You should have told me earlier, look at the risk you've made me run!

Split

Splitlink said:
Jesus, Trendie, you make this place seem like a mad house! I've just come home from a wander down the Ramblas, carrying a bag of Brooke Bond PG Tips! You should have told me earlier, look at the risk you've made me run!

Split

sorry, Split, old buddy!
couldnt help it - thought it would be funny to see the problem from the "other" side - thought I was being satirical.

have a happy siesta. :)
stay :cool:

Splitlink said:
What with your football club and my beer, I think millsi500 (can't we call you something shorter, by the way?) is trying to show that he comes from some other part of the UK. Where does John Smith come from, anyway?

not sure, Tadcaster. Either way it's my favourite tipple too.

I thought Millsi was from Leeds, but then he'd have no right laughing at anything above Scarborough FC, so I guess not. :LOL:

UTB