Volume tells all

fxmarkets said:
hmmm, maybe its just how individuals individually associate or attach current beliefs about volume, to some its meaningless because it is of little use, or in their view carries no significance in pursuing or trading/managing risk opportunities. what you want or expect pttrader (as you say) is a reason for them holding this view. Now as with market prices, you cant control what people will say .(generally, using this medium). Frustrating, annoying? it is what it is mate. what is it..?
It is to price what gasoline is to fire but how it is fed to the fire makes the difference in the flames. Likewise in the price. It tells a story if one knows how to look for the clues.

Ok then, lets take away price, and see you trade completely blind except for volume.... i dont have to tell you what would happen... but let me trade with just price and nothing else.... aye theres the rub laddie

game over

Last edited:
Lots of love makes lots of babies...usually. Lots of volume make lots of $$$$$ usually if you know how to read it and apply it but as with anything NOT ALWAYS.

You wouldn't even be able to tell which direction the market was going in without price, just looking at volume you couldn't make a trade... Oh no.... dont tell me you need price :cheesy:

Fader said:
Ok then, lets take away price, and see you trade completely blind except for volume.... i dont have to tell you what would happen... but let me trade with just price and nothing else.... aye theres the rub laddie

I'm gonna hafta call that game over

See thats why i love trading... i love to win
Whoa.. I never once said volume is everything. I have only argued for a correlation of price with volume. Nevertheless, give me a level two screen blocking out price and I could trade only seeing bid/ask volume and size of individual prices going across by trading at the market if the bid/ask spread is close. Now I could get burned trying this with a large bid/ask spread. Neverthess, maybe this indicates how important volume is to me!!

Last edited:
lordy, its just different takes thats all, does everybody need volume to make money trading? embrace difference, simple...

pttrader said:
Whoa.. I never once said volume is everything. I have only argued for a correlation of price with volume. Nevertheless, give me a level two screen blocking out price and I could trade only seeing bid/ask volume and size of individual prices going across by trading at the market if the bid/ask spread is close. Now I could get burned trying this with a large bid/ask spread. Neverthess, maybe this inciates how important volume is to me!!
Yeah but you dont do that, you look at price then you look at it again when you buy or sell, you need price to trade and I dont need volume.. that right there tells you price is king

Fader said:
But you need price to trade and I dont need volume.. that right there tells you price is king
Yes, in the end price is king. In the end that is what matters. But, volume helps to makes that king. Yes, I need price. But contrary to what you think you need volume. Without it you couldn't buy nor sell you would just be a little number on the computer screen. Price needs volume. Volume needs price. What is so hard with that concept?

Last edited:
pttrader said:
Neverthess, maybe this inciates how important volume is to me!!

yes........ great and to some, as I said ,it is of no significance to them....... not required, meaningless.... of no value.. fellow humans with their own sense of importance to them by them. who view is most important.....?? ahhhh...

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has markets. And those markets have to be traded by men with price. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Pttrader? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Volume and you curse the technicians. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Volumes death, while tragic, probably saved trades. And prices existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves trades...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want price on that trade. You need price on that trade. We use words like pivots, levels, price action... We use these words as the backbone to a life spent trading something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain price to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom price provides, then questions the manner in which price provides it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up on price and post a trade. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

fxmarkets said:
yes........ great and to some, as I said ,it is of no significance to them....... not required, meaningless.... of no value.. fellow humans with their own sense of importance to them by them. who view is most important.....?? ahhhh...
I though this thread was about discussing volume. Maybe my posts have no relevance to this thread. I have tried to explain why I think volume is important but no one has given an explanation as to why it has no meaning in trading and has no importance. It is easy to say it doesn't matter but harder to explain why it doesn't matter. Maybe this thread should have been title "volume doesn't mean anything". Or "volume tells nothing". I have onl;y tried to explain why and how it does tell a story. I apologize to all on this thread if my post are not revelant to the discussion. Maybe most posters here see volume as a non issue. Nevertheless, I would like to know why they do???? You never know I might change my mind and become a non-volume trader, price only money maker! I am open to reason. Give me some good reasons why volume is NOTHING and MEANINGLESS. Something I can chew on for awhile.

pttrader said:
I though this thread was about discussing volume. Maybe my posts have no relevance to this thread. I have tried to explain why I think volume is important but no one has given an explanation as to why it has no meaning in trading and has no importance. It is easy to say it doesn't matter but harder to explain why it doesn't matter. Maybe this thread should have been title "volume doesn't mean anything". Or "volume tells nothing". I have onl;y tried to explain why and how it does tell a story. I apologize to all on this thread if my post are not revelant to the discussion. Maybe most posters here see volume as a non issue. Nevertheless, I would like to know why they do???? You never know I might change my mind and become a non-volume trader, price only money maker! I am open to reason. Give me some good reasons why volume is NOTHING and MEANINGLESS. Something I can chew on for awhile.
It's pretty simple, the price that something occurs at is far more important than how many deals got done... you dont buy hoping volume goes up... you buy hoping price goes up... people focus on what is most important to them, for traders it is price, price determines winners and losers, volume does not, it will never be as important as price... this isn't some kind of esoteric secret, the best traders in the world primarily use price/levels/pivots/supp/res with a bit of volume thrown in... so the thread title "Volume tells all" is simply rubbish!

Fader said:
You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has markets. And those markets have to be traded by men with price. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Pttrader? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Volume and you curse the technicians. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Volumes death, while tragic, probably saved trades. And prices existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves trades...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want price on that trade. You need price on that trade. We use words like pivots, levels, price action... We use these words as the backbone to a life spent trading something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain price to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom price provides, then questions the manner in which price provides it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up on price and post a trade. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
Whoa what did I do to get that kind of reaction? I thought this thread was about volume not price. Guess you are the one on the wrong thread. By the way I am not your son and glad I am not as you seem to be quite explosive when someone questions your basis for your beliefs. I have NEVER spoke against price in none of my posts. I have only argued for a correlation between price and volume.

Let me ask you this. Do prices move just by volume? Just by price? If nobody buys that price then that particular price is meaningless. So price needs volume to be meaningful and volume needs price to be meaningful. Weep for volume?? You weep for price!! I say both are useful! You say only price! I use technical indicators in my trading so I am not just a tape reader. But I compare what they say with tape reading. I use pivot points, price action in my trading along with volume and tape reading.

Pttrader ,Because some people make money without it , simple..... and really im not on anyones side, just putting a point over that tries to put you in or see or be open and non affected by others views, lack of response or any behaviour. Now nothing and meaningless to some... yes true..... doesn't mean its right or wrong for you of course.

I see volume,/activity at levels, errr. I see that..... psychological meter . feelings.. usuable yes. required by all , no... youve taken the time to post, thanks , by all means chew on things.

Fader said:
It's pretty simple, the price that something occurs at is far more important than how many deals got done... you dont buy hoping volume goes up... you buy hoping price goes up... people focus on what is most important to them, for traders it is price, price determines winners and losers, volume does not, it will never be as important as price... this isn't some kind of esoteric secret, the best traders in the world primarily use price/levels/pivots/supp/res with a bit of volume thrown in... so the thread title "Volume tells all" is simply rubbish!
I agree "volume tells all is rubbish". I have never said it tells all. But why do the best traders in the world throw in a bit of volume if volume is meaningless??

pttrader said:
Whoa what did I do to get that kind of reaction? I thought this thread was about volume not price. Guess you are the one on the wrong thread. By the way I am not your son and glad I am not as you seem to be quite explosive when someone questions your basis for your beliefs. I have NEVER spoke against price in none of my posts. I have only argued for a correlation between price and volume.

Let me ask you this. Do prices move just by volume? Just by price? If nobody buys that price then that particular price is meaningless. So price needs volume to be meaningful and volume needs price to be meaningful. Weep for volume?? You weep for price!! I say both are useful! You say only price! I use technical indicators in my trading so I am not just a tape reader. But I compare what they say with tape reading. I use pivot points, price action in my trading along with volume and tape reading.
Oh FFS, I was doing Jack Nicholson from A few good men... a joke... you know..... humour

Fader ..." you buy hoping price goes up... "

Now can you see a life where you trade without hope? and can you trade your current life for one which you live without hope?

fxmarkets said:
Fader ..." you buy hoping price goes up... "

Now can you see a life where you trade without hope? and can you trade your current life for one which you live without hope?
Hey I'd settle for someone getting my joke :cry: