Volume tells all

Chump, FW, I agree with both of you.

Perhaps the title of this thread is a little inaccurate. Volume alone does not provide all the information. It does however indicate when the pro's are active but shouldn't be taken in isolation, the resulting price action will give more clues as to the future direction. All of course IMO.

True, volume is cause, price is result. Without observing what happens to price, volume alone will be meaningless.

seems like allot of the threads on volume trading are dead. have not seen to many post recently. If the conversation have moved to another tread plz someone point me in that direction. TIA

seems like allot of the threads on volume trading are dead. have not seen to many post recently. If the conversation have moved to another tread plz someone point me in that direction. TIA

These threads come and go, but searching for posts and threads by dbphoenix on both T2W and EliteTrader.com you'll find lots of info on these subjects.

Lately I think most of the discussions on volume have moved over to TradersLaboratory.com. I know Sebastian moved his daily reviews to TL, when he was still publishing these.

A VSA thread was started there last fall ( [VSA] Volume Spread Analysis - Traders Laboratory ) and it just kept going and going. After a while they moved the discussion over to a new thread ( [VSA] Volume Spread Analysis Part II - Traders Laboratory ). As far as I can see, this second thread is still active. I just browse the thread now and then to see what's happening...

As an added treat, Dbphoenix also keeps an updated blog on TradersLaboratory.com ( Traders Laboratory - Dbs Burrow )

So, after soaking up all the knowledge in the Price/Volume threads of T2W and ET, you might as well register at TL too, for an up-to-date discussion on practical PV trading. :)

So, after soaking up all the knowledge in the Price/Volume threads of T2W and ET, you might as well register at TL too, for an up-to-date discussion on practical PV trading. :)
Or, even better, pretty much ignore it all and spend some time working it out for yourself.

There are very few on here (this thread/this site) who know what they’re talking about.

The problem is, you don't find out until after you've gone down the routes they espouse (or in most case, simply regurgitate by rote) and found out they're about as much use as a coin toss. Maybe you have to take the trip anyway, but what a waste of time.

I’m thinking about cobbling together the finer points of the contents of PMs that have made the difference to my trading since joining this site almost 5 years ago. I don’t know why it is, but you get given gold in PMs that the same bod simply wont feel willing or able to disclose in public. I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s all to do with the average attention span and intelligence or perhaps more importantly energy level of most members of sites like this. It ain’t worth the effort of making the effort. Which is when you find the one or two who do have the spark, you go out of your way to help.

TheBramble

I for one would be interested to read the finer points of the contents of PMs' that have made the difference to your trading.

I am not in the least bit surprised that people will not disclose in public what they will disclose in private. in a word, abuse. You have been around these boards long enough to see that when someone with something particularly useful to post does so the abuse soon follows and the poster ceases posting. For those who were interested it is very annoying and frustrating.

Regards

bracke

I guess I should feel ashamed that I've never posted anything particularly useful enough to be abused. Or perhaps I have been abused, but didn't realise it.

Either way, I'm kinda doing the PM stuff mixed in with my other hallucinations and waking nightmares over on the 201 thread.

Good to talk with you again.

edit: ...and bring on the abuse...I guarantee you I wont flounce off stage-right with my tu-tu in tatters. I can't understand how anyone with a genuine trader mindset can get upset over a little thing like posts on a bulletin board....LOL.

Anyone who doesn't get the deeper humour in that deserves everything they're not going to get it just yet. More LOL....

Last edited:
The Bramble

I will be happy to abuse you if you manage to post anything of note.

(That was a backhanded attempt at subtle abuse but more practice required.)

Regards

bracke

True, volume is cause, price is result. Without observing what happens to price, volume alone will be meaningless.

Well said, firewalker99. I would like to add to that. Just looking at the price alone is like looking using 1-dimension. Looking together with volume is like 2-dimension. Adding the time information, we get 3-dimension. I would rephrase that into "time is the cause, volume is the fuel, price is the result."

Well said, firewalker99. I would like to add to that. Just looking at the price alone is like looking using 1-dimension. Looking together with volume is like 2-dimension. Adding the time information, we get 3-dimension. I would rephrase that into "time is the cause, volume is the fuel, price is the result."

When you say 'time' do you mean, for a quick example, news events or thin trading?

When you say 'time' do you mean, for a quick example, news events or thin trading?

you see, everything happens within a "container" called time. every shares transaction happens at a certain price, volume and specific time. in simple words, time is something that everyone remembers...such as your anniversary, your birthday and so on. We remember the Oct 1987 crash, it was duplicated 20 years later in Oct 2007. History also repeats itself in after "some" time in the future.

Take for example rain... rain happens on a certain "periodic" that can be analyze. Water evaporated from the rivers and seas and formed clouds and when it reached the saturation level, it causes rainfall. The same goes to shares. When the time comes, it comes.

Therefore we have price analysis, volume analysis and time analysis.

you see, everything happens within a "container" called time. every shares transaction happens at a certain price, volume and specific time. in simple words, time is something that everyone remembers...such as your anniversary, your birthday and so on. We remember the Oct 1987 crash, it was duplicated 20 years later in Oct 2007. History also repeats itself in after "some" time in the future.

Take for example rain... rain happens on a certain "periodic" that can be analyze. Water evaporated from the rivers and seas and formed clouds and when it reached the saturation level, it causes rainfall. The same goes to shares. When the time comes, it comes.

I see, thanks.

I'm curious. Can you apply your "time analysis" principles/protocols/ ... to the intraday trading of futures contracts, more specifically, equity index futures contracts?

TIA

lj

I'm curious. Can you apply your "time analysis" principles/protocols/ ... to the intraday trading of futures contracts, more specifically, equity index futures contracts?

TIA

lj

The same principles apply accross the board, on all TFs. The market will be interested in buying a price, the market will be interested in selling a price.

Question.

Which one of the 'greats', suggested a price can never be touched more than 3 times without it being broken:?:

Paul.

PS. He was quite accurate in what he said.

The same principles apply accross the board, on all TFs. The market will be interested in buying a price, the market will be interested in selling a price.

Question.

Which one of the 'greats', suggested a price can never be touched more than 3 times without it being broken:?:

Paul.

PS. He was quite accurate in what he said.

I would submit that there is a difference between 'principles' and a trading methodology. Some traders' principles are other traders' anathemas. If the methodology is not time fractal independent then its credibility is less than if it is. I don't know the answer to your question - the old "1,2,3". While it may well be the 'wisdom of the ages', I personally would not use it as the basis for a trading protocol but have no problem whatsoever if others wish to do so.

lj

I would submit that there is a difference between 'principles' and a trading methodology. Some traders' principles are other traders' anathemas. If the methodology is not time fractal independent then its credibility is less than if it is. I don't know the answer to your question - the old "1,2,3". While it may well be the 'wisdom of the ages', I personally would not use it as the basis for a trading protocol but have no problem whatsoever if others wish to do so.

lj

The answer to the question is, Gann. Time fractals are also evident across the board in any market....why shouldn't they be?

The answer to the question is, Gann. Time fractals are also evident across the board in any market....why shouldn't they be?

Time fractals are always evident. It's whether or not the trading protocol is applicable to all time fractals which is, IMO, of consequence.

lj

Time fractals are always evident. It's whether or not the trading protocol is applicable to all time fractals which is, IMO, of consequence.

lj

You're from Bellingham. Have you ever heard of a company called, Highlight Investments Inc?