Volume-Open Interest Question

mik1973

290 13
I have read a few books on technical analysis but am still trying to get my head around the main difference between Volume and Open Interest.
As I understand:
Volume= number of shares traded in an underlying instrument
Open Interest =number of unliquidated contracts in a futures instrument

Where i am getting confused is where i see a volume bar for a futures instrument (as well as a open interest line). If open interest is a measurement for futures then what is volume actually measuring with regard to a futures instrument?

Thx in advance
Mick

rog1111

Established member
673 10
mik1973 said:
Where i am getting confused is where i see a volume bar for a futures instrument (as well as a open interest line). If open interest is a measurement for futures then what is volume actually measuring with regard to a futures instrument?

Mick

You seem to have described it quite well above. The futures volume is just the total number of contracts that traded during the period/day, whether they were new positions or contracts being liquidated. Those contracts still open on both sides with 2 counterparties are reflected by the OI.

rog1111

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock