Best Thread US day traders thread.

Hello Tim,
Not sure there will be significant volume on Monday being the day of Cristobal Colon...........but nice analysis ;-)

Hello boy,
Good on ya man ! Very nice trade ;-)

Richard

Anybody know of any free real time charting of the Dow available on the net?

kwilo said:
Anybody know of any free real time charting of the Dow available on the net?

You could easily write your own using Excel and a bit of VBA. I do reccomend a "Weekend Crash Course" by Peter G Aitken. I read his book and took to VBA. Albeit, I have been using VB for 10+ years. I wrote a VB tradestation program that downloads indices prices twice a minute It also charts the minute by minute prices in a point and figure chart. Its not a commercial program, just for my own use lol. Now working on a Pattern trading program for my own use.
I have a thread called Pattern Trading.

Regards
John

Mr. Charts said:
Hello Tim,
Not sure there will be significant volume on Monday being the day of Cristobal Colon...
Richard
Note to self: I must pay more attention to the details!
;)
Tim.

Please Explain

Mr. Charts said:
Hello Tim,
Not sure there will be significant volume on Monday being the day of Cristobal Colon...........but nice analysis ;-)

Hello boy,
Good on ya man ! Very nice trade ;-)

Richard
Mr C
Could you kindly please explain what 'Cristobal Colon' is why it will impact the market? Cheers

Segura,
History wasn't your forte...Cristobal Colon aka Christopher Columbus ...discovery of Northern Americas etc...

Thank you guys for pointing out that it isn't National Colonic Irrigation Day, though holders of XLNX might think so. I shorted it pre-market and am now looking for a place to cover.
Richard

The earnings season in the US is here again and all the results will be coming in thick and fast in the next couple of weeks.

When the market has opened there can quite often be knee jerk reactions to the gap thats been created.Infact one trader i met recently told me he's been severely restricted by his sb company because he's been so successful at trading those moves.

I attach the chart of XLNX showing the pre market collapse as soon as the news hit our screens.The pre market action is between two grey vertical lines.

I expect there will be many more earnings plays to come on this thread in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• xlnx2.gif
    xlnx2.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Hi Tim

Noticed your post on AMGN. I shorted this at 78 when it broke the last swing low on bearish looking OBV and the biotec index also looked bearish. Wondered if previous support has turned into resistance and still hoping to get a decent run out of this, but in reality who knows. Will be stopped out at 78 but might just think about getting back in if it just takes this out and then carries on down.

On a similarish basis I think AXP looks like a possible short as well.

Mark

timsk said:
AMGN has fallen $10 from its highs of $87 in mid Sept'. Last week saw it drop through support at $78, pausing briefly overnight before continuing its strong decent and chopping straight through the next support level - a dollar below at $77. Friday's bull candle is interesting, as buyers made some attempt to test the $77 level. However, their efforts are not wholly convincing, as evidenced by the relatively poor volume. If Monday's open isn't positive with a strong early move above this (now resistance?) level, it could suggest that the move to the downside isn't over yet. If that turns out to be the case, there is nothing that I can see to prevent the price from falling to the $72 level, from where it gapped up so spectacularly on the 20th July. Just my thoughts, and I'll doubtless look very silly this time next week when AMGN moves to new highs!
Tim.

Naz said:
The earnings season in the US is here again and all the results will be coming in thick and fast in the next couple of weeks.

When the market has opened there can quite often be knee jerk reactions to the gap thats been created.Infact one trader i met recently told me he's been severely restricted by his sb company because he's been so successful at trading those moves.

I attach the chart of XLNX showing the pre market collapse as soon as the news hit our screens.The pre market action is between two grey vertical lines.

I expect there will be many more earnings plays to come on this thread in the next few weeks.

With these results/news trades is the main strategy to take a position before the announcement or is it to wait for the announcement + knee jerk reaction and then trade the after shock?.
I would imagine trying to take a position before the announcement (via limit orders) would be difficult especially with shorts (because of the up-tick rule).

Hi Samtron,

In my it depends what kind of trading platform you have.There's enough profits for everyone but the guys that really score are the level 2 direct access traders who can sometimes spot things happening before the news is on the screens.They can see the move starting and position themselves quickly before its released.

Otherwise it wouldn't be prudent to take a position before the news is out because you dont know how the market will respond.

The next few weeks is going to be a dream with the results coming.The best ones are after 9pm gmt.They can run all post market and all pre market the next day.

Why other markets dont give day traders the same kind of facilities that they do in the US is beyond me,look at the extra business they would generate.

Alan

According to my info.

Before the open today we have HELE,INFY,SCMR

After the close weve got AMD AMB AMHC and AAPL.

INFY is gapping up about $4 before the open on good results.

Attachments

• infy.gif
    infy.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 218