Best Thread US day traders thread.

Yes, lets please keep this thread for the serious traders only and not for cynics.
I for one know Dave's abilities and his account size is irrelevant. The guy is awesome!!

PitBull said:
Yes, lets please keep this thread for the serious traders only and not for cynics.
I for one know Dave's abilities and his account size is irrelevant. The guy is awesome!!

Agreed! This is a positive thread and very useful, don't let it degenerate into personal statements about contributors.

I've noticed in the past people have actually felt they needed to post copies of their accounts to prove trades, having felt accused of lying. Frankly, I think we're all sensible enough to make our own decisions about the things our co-traders write.

nesyo03 said:
Hey Dave, by 214 this afternoon, you mean $214 right? How much capital do you have to play with in your account?

Hi Nesyo03,
I didn't mean $214. But 2.14 dollars per share. So if you do the math.
That is 214 if you traded 100 shares.
2140 if you trade 1000
21400 if you trade 10000.

You probably also know that you need at least 25000 dollars to do pattern day trading. So in my opinion this has to be at least 30000. Cuz if you fall 1 dollar under 25000. you're not allowed to pattern day trade anymore.
Then there is leverage. Standard you get 4:1 leverage. I do not get more leverage.. And I never use all of it in one position. Except for the GOOG trades. Cuz this is an expensive stock, as you all know.

Do you understand what i mean?

And I usually don't trade more than one share at a time. That's why I'm still missing out on sooo much. But I do a lot of trades.

-Dave.

Last edited:
badtrader said:
He would need about 100k account to trade all them. I think he is telling you all porkypies.

I'm not gonna argue about this. You have two choices. You can believe me or you don't. It's all up to you.
I don't have anything to prove to you. Nobody on this thread has to. So please, don't post messages like this on this forum if you don't have good arguments. If you really want to, then PM me.

-Dave

Thank you very much, Pitbull, Quercus, Boy and Gadgetman.

Hi davevandenheuval,
You have my unqualified support and respect, for whatever that is worth.
Richard

davevandenheuvel said:
Hi Nesyo03,
I didn't mean $214. But 2.14 dollars per share. So if you do the math.
That is 214 if you traded 100 shares.
2140 if you trade 1000
21400 if you trade 10000.

You probably also know that you need at least 25000 dollars to do pattern day trading. So in my opinion this has to be at least 30000. Cuz if you fall 1 dollar under 25000. you're not allowed to pattern day trade anymore.
Then there is leverage. Standard you get 4:1 leverage. I don't get anymore. And I never use all of it in one position. Except for the GOOG trades. Cuz this is an expensive stock, as you all know.

Do you understand what i mean?

And I usually don't trade more than one share at a time. That's why I'm still missing out on sooo much. But I do a lot of trades.

-Dave.

Oh okay, $2.14 a share, not $214 for the day. Yeah, I pulled out around $2 with 2 trades in GOOG and 1 trade with SNDK. Got out early on two of them, missing around $1.

Mr. Charts said:
Hi davevandenheuval,
You have my unqualified support and respect, for whatever that is worth.
Richard

Hi Davev,
I must be learning how to trade because yet again I agree entirely with Mr Charts Analysis :)
mind you this was a no brainer (as Mr C would say)

Last edited:
Nesyo03,

very good. I missed the afternoon move in GOOG. I just scalped it a couple of times. If you can take $2 out of GOOG in 2 trades. Then I think, for the people that call all this: Porkypies!, that it is very possible to trade up to $ 10-16 by trading all day long.

Mr. Charts and samtron,

thank you very much for that. I appreciate it!!!!

-Dave.

Guys,
I changed my name from davevandenheuvel to dvdh. So you guys know!

-Dave

Mr. Charts said:
dvdh?
I'm still trying to keep up with all the other DVD formats! ;-))
Richard

Haha. This'll be easier!

BTW, how was your day in London with blondie? Did it make you younger?

-Dave :cheesy:

Last edited:
Blondie was orgasmic ;-) Even more than an $18 run in GOOG
Did I feel younger? I feel young anyway........
The Albert Hall was full of "girl couples"........just before Debbie Harry came on the girl sitting next to me asked if I had the time. I asked her what she (they) had in mind.
Sadly she only wanted to know if it was 8.30.
Richard

Mr. Charts said:
Blondie was orgasmic ;-) Even more than an $18 run in GOOG
Did I feel younger? I feel young anyway........
The Albert Hall was full of "girl couples"........just before Debbie Harry came on the girl sitting next to me asked if I had the time. I asked her what she (they) had in mind.
Sadly she only wanted to know if it was 8.30.
Richard

HAHAH
You player!!! So you had a good time!!
Do you mean we can make ourselves ready for a booming market next week???So we can see what is more orgasmic?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

-Dave.

Afternoon guys

Not a great day, but still profitable.

3 losses and 3 winners

Losses were on
KB -0.08
PNRA -0.17
CMED-0.14

Winners were:

AAPL +1.06
CDIS +0.38
OSTK +0.25

Therefore total = +$1.30

Charts attached for winners. Would try some more, but having an early day, so not bad for 1 hours work.

Attachments

• AAPL251105entry.gif
    AAPL251105entry.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 277
  • AAPL251105exit.gif
    AAPL251105exit.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 299
  • CDIS251105entry.gif
    CDIS251105entry.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 214
  • CDIS251105exit.gif
    CDIS251105exit.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 254
  • OSTK251105.gif
    OSTK251105.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 240
Hi Lee,
AAPL - that's incredible - I have just placed my entry and exit screen shots of my AAPL trade on my blog - I then look here and see you entered at exactly the same price !
I exited at 69.18
Good stuff, huh? ;-)
Have a good w/e
Richard

A lesson on stops

Alright, I know. I put the stop in the wrong place :(

Over the round number would have been much more sensible.

I got stopped out at 44.96. See the upper wick? That's just somebody grabbing my 100 shares when the price was on a clear downtrend.

Just under a dollar potential profit missed. Suppose I should have just got straight back in again, as I was sure they were breaking down.

A little more experience and another lesson learned :)

Attachments

• biib251105.jpg
    biib251105.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 277
Hi Dave

Was this the break of the 5 minute set up you were talking about? Would of caught a good move if you didn't get stopped out. Sometimes its best to place strategical stops rather than set cent stops.

Hi Richard

Thats amazing isn't it. I suppose we both saw the end of the leg up.

I hope you enjoyed the Blondie concert and have a nice weekend
All the best
Lee

PitBull said:
Hi Dave

Was this the break of the 5 minute set up you were talking about? Would of caught a good move if you didn't get stopped out. Sometimes its best to place strategical stops rather than set cent stops.

Lee
Lee
No I was just looking for a reversal on the opening move on a 1 minute chart. For some mad reason I just didn't put the stop over the round number then although price was dropping, one trade jumped up and took out my stop. Just goes to show that they are out there, watching........ :eek:

Hi guys,

my trades so far:
rimm +30
sndk +57
sndk +15
aapl +2
sndk +22
sndk +17
celg +2
sndk +12
lrcx +9
celg +5
rimm -2
flex +-0 scratch
rimm +-0 scratch

Total so far: +169.
Not a bad morning but I missed out on DRIV and GOOG. While it was on my hotlist. How blind can one be.

-Dave.

Nice trading, dvdh - I especially like and share your unwillingness to take losses.

Earlier this afternoon, amongst a few other trades, I was scalping GILD and waiting to see if support was likely to hold at 52.62.
After a little bit of patient watching and waiting for the right moment, suddenly level 2 screamed out what was about to happen in the immediate future BEFORE it did. Now there are several ways this can show itself, but the most basic is a sudden melting away of support on the bid depth. Sometimes it shows in this simple way backed up by other things, sometimes it's more subtle.
I shorted immediately on this no brainer, got filled at 52.59, it waterfalled, was immediately met with buying and I covered with a fill at 52.40, all in under a minute and on large position size for a typical scalp.
Richard