US 161K to invest, suggestions please.

nixodian

I have sold a property abroad and now have around US 161K, what investment should l consider?(no income return required, ie capital appreciation > inflation is fine)
1. buy a property for eg in Shenzhen , china and rent out (I am located in HONGKONG) or
2. invest in an ETF like SPY, which tracks the S & P 500 with my US broker or ETF 2800 which tracks the HangSeng with my HKG broker? or is there a higher dividend ETF that is nigh impossible to go to zero

I have been told properties in Shenzhen or anywhere, have gone up too much and are going to take a downturn / crash, but so has the stock market.
time frame not really important either, anything >10 years fine.

Good suggestions appreciated
thanks

I have sold a property abroad and now have around US 161K, what investment should l consider?
Hi nixodian,
The focus of this site and its members is very much on short term trading. So, most active traders on T2W will open and close trades on an intraday basis at one extreme, extending to a month or two at the other. Given your circumstances and requirements, I think there are other forums better suited to offering long term investment advice. You might try: The Motley Fool

Good luck,
Tim.

If you are looking for long term investment i would suggest you to invest in some developing countries like brazil or china, those markets has been going down for a while now. It also interesting to see so many people who start to invest in market that are high now. I have a feeling they have missed the big movement. Consider buying some ETFs/Funds in some developing countries.

I have sold a property abroad and now have around US 161K, what investment should l consider?(no income return required, ie capital appreciation > inflation is fine)
1. buy a property for eg in Shenzhen , china and rent out (I am located in HONGKONG) or
2. invest in an ETF like SPY, which tracks the S & P 500 with my US broker or ETF 2800 which tracks the HangSeng with my HKG broker? or is there a higher dividend ETF that is nigh impossible to go to zero

I have been told properties in Shenzhen or anywhere, have gone up too much and are going to take a downturn / crash, but so has the stock market.
time frame not really important either, anything >10 years fine.

Good suggestions appreciated
thanks

I don't think a British national can buy a property in the mainland, let alone any foreigner.

I'd recommend 10 year Treasury notes.