University undergrad looking for a summer internship at a prop shop - London

Byllie

Hey there, I am studying Mechanical Engineering at Nottingham University and have been trading for over a year now , mainly via the spread betting platform (small stakes).

My eventual goal is to work on the trading floor of somewhere like BarCap/Deutsche Bank/Goldman/JP Morgan.

However, I cannot get any internships in these places because they only really take on 2nd and 3rd year students.

So I was planning on going through the list of prop shops in and around london and asking them if they would take me on as an intern for 2 months. I can't really afford to get into remote trading, so I looking more into a shadow/support role. Would I stand a chance?

Can anyone offer any tips for how I should approach this?

Hey there, I am studying Mechanical Engineering at Nottingham University and have been trading for over a year now , mainly via the spread betting platform (small stakes).

My eventual goal is to work on the trading floor of somewhere like BarCap/Deutsche Bank/Goldman/JP Morgan.

However, I cannot get any internships in these places because they only really take on 2nd and 3rd year students.

So I was planning on going through the list of prop shops in and around london and asking them if they would take me on as an intern for 2 months. I can't really afford to get into remote trading, so I looking more into a shadow/support role. Would I stand a chance?

Can anyone offer any tips for how I should approach this?

Sure: don't make it immediately clear that you have no desire to work in the prop industry!

the prop shops dont really do internships like you get at barcap etc. imo just continue preping yourself for an interview and get a first degree

Even just for a bit of unofficial expierience?

Being let loose on the simulator for example?

I have a shop about 5 minutes from my house (TXL) so it would be worthwhile even unpaid

phil just informed me you posted this at the studentroom, I trolled that a fortnight ago, was lulzy, some fags there thinking they were the hight of sophisitication as though i didn't know what dv01 was and other "challenging" questions :LOL: