UNdelete a video from Samsung smartphone

trendie

Legendary member
Been tearing whats left of my hair out over this.

My sister has a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini.
She managed to delete a video.
This needs to be UNdeleted/recovered.

I have tried looking for various apps online, and none seem to work.
Possibly because they are freebies, and they want you to buy the thing.

Have tried Dr.Fone, which seemed to "stick" at 90% complete.
Also tried asfotech, or similar.

Since it is not my phone, I am reluctant to "root" the phone, as warranties may be invalidated.

NB: I have recommended not to load any apps or take pics or videos until fixed, in case deleted file is overwritten.
NB1: I forgot to reset the "Developer option" back to "greyed out"!!

Any decent freeware for recovering a video on a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini?
Thanks.

Don't go that route if you can. Install adb on your computer and mark in developer options adb access. Plug in usb on your computer, and try to recover it from your pc rather than using a phone program. You will have much better results. Most likely, the best thing you can do is try making a Hiren's boot disk (make a usb one) and mounting your phone under that on the computer, after loading up a desktop environment (i.e. windows pe). Also, if its deleted from the microsd card rather than the phone, then pop it out and put in in a sd card reader on the laptop. If I am not mistaken, the S3 is under a linux environment file system ext3 rather than windows 32, just FYI.

When you delete a file, technically it isn't gone. The reference is just deleted. So basically say all free space on your phone is 0 and every program, file, app, etc. is 1. When you delete a file, it changes that to 0, meaning it's free to overwrite. So as you install more apps, download more files, it will get overwritten, unless you have some sort of recycle bin reserving the file until you delete it from there as well. With an operating system like Window, you can easily recover these reference files with a recycle bin. However, Android does not have such a thing. Once you delete something, it is gone. Smartphones run on 8-32GB of storage. It doesn't have the space to be able to recover files, as it's likely already been overwritten by something as simple as cache or app data. All of those recovery apps are useless unless you have a backup. However if it was saved on a SD card, then you could possibly recover the file if nothing has been overwritten on it recently. Connect it to your computer and run Recuva.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

thanks for insight and help. (y)
will run those ideas over the weekend.
luckily, I think the vid was on an SD card.

hi jf,

the undelete worked after 2 steps.

the original file was recovered, but was unplayable on the phones player.
however, I uploaded the file to a PC, and managed to view the entire file.

resaved it under a new name, and then loaded it back to the phone.
cant explain the unplayable it, but got there eventually.

all is well.
thanks for all the input and advice. (y)