TurtleForex +408% 12 months trading

TraderFX65

Hi, My name is Joe and I have traded the FX markets for several years off and on. A little over a year ago, I emptied all but $100.00 from my FXCM account and decided to challenge myself to take the account to something substantial. I set no time table and no "goal" as far as what I wanted to turn this $100 account into. I just wanted to see if I could follow a set of trading rules for an extended period of time and see where it leads.

I've seen many traders post on forums over the years that they are going to attempt to turn "X" dollars into "X" dollars over "X" period of time...99% of them fade out after a few weeks or months. I decided to wait one full year before getting active on some of the forums I lurk on, just in case I fell flat on my face!

This is more a journey to learn about myself. This is about patience, tenacity and discipline. It's about learning my strengths and weakness as a trader and a person. So far it had been interesting and I have learned quite a bit!

In this thread I will begin to post my results daily so that anyone interested can follow along. My info is also on myfxbook.com. Just a quick explanation for those that are interested in following from "Day 1"

1) I started with $100 on November 21, 2011. I switched to an FXCM micro account in March 2012. Unfortunately I do not have a trade history for that period to put on myfxbook. But at that time I was +44%

2) The account peaked in August 20, 2012 at $821.00...this was a 721% gain. Wooo hooo!

3) I had a 60% DD from that point :(, taking the balance to $328.00 I stopped trading on September 21 2012, that DD fried my brain and i got really busy with my "real job".

4) I took an 8 month layoff from trading. I came back with the main goal of keeping DD's below 25%. I realize this will slow my growth rate, but capital preservation needs to come first.

5) I resumed trading on May 14, 2013 with the balance at $328.00, the account is currently at about $570.00, the account is up about 73% since I started back

6) So far max DD has been contained to about 15%...this is the goal.

A couple months ago I met Nick McDonald at LiveForexTrading.info thru his live trading room. I was invited by Nick to become a forum moderator, which I was very flattered by. Since that time I have been very active on his forum, if you want to learn more about me you can check out Nick's forum. I'll be posting my daily trades here on T2W, but it will be too much to post everything I post at Nick's site on all the forums I am a member of. I'll just be posting a journal here at T2W.

Here is where I stand after 12 full months of trading:

408% overall gain
721% peak high
2 - 60% draw downs

Here is my original account fxbook: TurtleForex.net Original | Myfxbook

Last month I moved my $573.00 balance to an MT4 account, which is what I am now using: TurtleForex.net MT4 System | Myfxbook

I usually place 2-4 trades a day and post them as I close them out. I am sometimes in Nicks live chat, but not always. Anyhow, thought some may find this interesting. Can't wait to see where the next 12 months takes this challenge!

Happy Trading!

Joe

July 29

Missed an earlier GBP setup, but took a shot at a CHF short setup...price action is HORRIBLE this AM, so I decided to take the quick 14 pips.

I have some long NZD positions open...will update when I close em out.

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• July 29.JPG
    July 29.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 420
July 29 - II

Well, I had to work my tail off to milk about 8 more pips...the NZD long position just were not producing even with NZD slowly but steadily moving up on the SM. I pick off what I could then closed out NZDCHF and GBPNZD for small losses, only to watch them finally move in my directions 5 minutes later....don't ya just hate when that happens?...hehehe

All in all I am more than happy to go into the clubhouse with almost 22 pips. Maybe tomorrow we get a bit better price action!

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• July 29 - Totals.JPG
    July 29 - Totals.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 393
July 30

GBP moved down sharply this AM and saw an opportunity to get in on some ATR trades...Because price action is horrendous and GBP is close to giving me a short signal on the 4HR, I entered with caution, and was only looking for a total of 10-15 pips between the three positions I took against CAD, EUR and CHF...CAD had confluence with R1, so I felt good about that and got a quick 4.4 pips that I took off the table. Once I hit my profit target I took EURGBP and GBPCHF off the table as well for a total 11.2 pips. There is not much to be had out there folks, and I wont apologize for becoming a scalper these last few sessions...when the volatility and ranges increase we can maybe get more pips until then this will be my strategy:

There is a screenshot of the Dymanic ATR indicator...notice that GBPCAD was projected almost to the pip...I see that almost daily! EG and GCHF were within 2 pips and 4 pips respectively!...I love that indy!

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• July 30.JPG
    July 30.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 424
  • July 30 ATR.JPG
    July 30 ATR.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 365
July 30 - Part II

Took a basket of GBP shorts on a 4HR signal. Those dont come along as often, maybe twice per month on each currency and I usually let them run for a bit. But with conditions as they have been I took a quick 40 pips...not bad considering GBPJPY was a 23 pips loss...

With 51.8 pips on the day, I can sit back, relax and watch from the sidelines!

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• July 30-2.JPG
    July 30-2.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 403
Re: July 30 - Part II

Well I thought I was done for the day....lol!

I got a very rare signal when USD went on a rampage post Consumer Confidence...this signal called for me to short USD across the board...so I took positions on all 7 USD crosses that I monitor...I did not take this one the signal account as I felt it was a bit too risky, perhaps next time I will with reduced position size.

Ended up closing all 7 at once for close to 50 pips +98 on the day...all 7 trades were winners...wooo hooo...get to pad them stats!

Im done for the day for real this time....hehehe

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• July 30-4.JPG
    July 30-4.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 474
  • July 30 - 3.JPG
    July 30 - 3.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 681
Hey joe ........not bad at all

perhaps call some live ones on Flashes thread .........

N

Great minds think alike...:)

Hi Neil!

I was browsing thru some of your posts and came across your FX Correlator and it looks a lot like an indy a wrote a couple years ago that I use in my everyday trading..I call it the Strength Meter.

Just like you, it took me a bit to learn to interpret the indicator properly, even though I wrote it...lol...but after literally 1,000's of trades I understand how to read it...:)

I have a video that briefly explains (for me 15 minutes is brief...hehehe) how I use it to identify possible trades:

Strenght Meter Video

I DL'd your PDF on the correlator...gonna take a look in the AM. Hope to see you around!

Joe

Attachments

• Strength_Meter_Overview.JPG
    Strength_Meter_Overview.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 357
July 31

Well sometimes it's better to be lucky than to be good...at least for the subscribers of the Turtle Forex signal.

This morning I reluctantly took a JPY short (buy GBPJPY but the reason was to be short JPY not so much long GBP). I have a real hard time mentally as far as taking JPY short signals. Two reasons for this are:

1) I have made quite of few pips the last couple months on the long side of JPY...It's so ingrained in my head that JPY is a good currency to be long on that I fight the short signals.
2) JPY does tend to give false short signals. And sometime run up like crazy...that makes me a bit skittish.

That being said, I took the signal at 148.65. However the trade did not copy to my slave account..I contacted Nick and it was because I had changed my password on the master account...Me being the knucklehead that I am did not realize this effected things on Nicks end. Nick quickly took care of the issue (These guys are awesome...cant say enough about the service Nick and Will provide)...the good news was GJ unexpecdedly droped and subscriber got a much better fill than the master account. long story short....when I hit my target I got out....I was a bit shaken by 1) that GJ had moved against me...2) that I had made such a dumb mistake with the master.

Part of me wanted to hold out on the master...but "Stats" are not as important as pips for my clients...so I am happy with my decision to exit...if you look at the chart, you will see that I would have got my pips either way. A win for my customers is all that matters...

I always try to reflect on trades like this..I posted on Nicks site what was going thru my head here:

Trading Psychology

Maybe we get a chance later for more pips....but I may sit out until the dust settles after GDP and FOMC

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• July 31.JPG
    July 31.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 312
July 31 - Part II

Well I like when I can have the faith in my set up to play the same currency in both directions on the same day...even if I did not trade either side perfect.

Got a nice buy setup for JPY and took positions in AUDJPY, EURJPY and CHFJPY....took a quick few pips off the table with AJ, held EJ and CJ through FOMC...more or less got the expected response post FOMC, but today I was not 100% on my game...I closed out both EJ and CJ early...but managed to net 9 pips on the basket giving us 21 pips on the day....all in all not bad for a day where I definitely was not running on all 8 cylinders. I left a good 40-50 pip out there for sure.

Looks like we are going to end July up on both the Master and $100 Challenge accounts....Looking forward to a great August!

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• July 31-2.JPG
    July 31-2.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 292
Re: July 31 - Part II

Congrats to my subscribers...we are off to a great August!

Took a 4HR signal to buy USD in London this AM...went to bed early (I'm in Florida, USA) and woke up early so to get a feel for the market pre BoE/ECB...I am not a news trader and I really disregard fundys in my entry decisions, buy have full respect for them...Some may question my going into an event risk heavy USD and my answer is simple...because it gave a signal that is probably 85-90% reliable. How much do I trust this signal?

1) I hate trading USD, have a short bias towards it fundamentally and got a signal to buy
2) We had event risk news on the horizon

My feelings were that between getting a very reliable signal and the fact that we have NFP tomorrow, that only a surprise would have a major effect on used...and most likely if there was a surprise it would be to USD benefit

This signal potentially will yield a lot of pips over the next 24 hours...I was happy to take 86 into the clubhouse and be able to relax and prepare for tomorrow.

Happy Trading!

Joe

Turtle Forex

Attachments

• Aug 1.JPG
    Aug 1.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 308
  • Aug 1-2.JPG
    Aug 1-2.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 275
August 1 - Part II

There was a nice scalp set up for AUDJPY this afternoon so I took it for 8 pips...

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• Aug 1-3.JPG
    Aug 1-3.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 304
August 2

GPB set up beautifully on the SM for an across-the-board short play. The only issue was that I missed the "optimal" entry by about 30 minutes...was still in bed. However GBP was still at a good enough level that I felt 25-50 pips on a basket was very likely so I entered 5 positions, at a reduced size. GBP did what I expected and I closed out the basket for 33.8 pips...not bad for 17 minutes of work...

With NFP on the horizon, that will be all for me today....I'll spend the rest of the morning chatting and cheering for AMP, TA and the rest of the LFT team!

Have a great weekend!

Joe

Turtle Forex

Attachments

• Aug 2.JPG
    Aug 2.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Aug 2-2.JPG
    Aug 2-2.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 265
August 2 Part II - Christmas pips

Well again I thought I was done...but there was an opportunity for quick pips after a disappointing NFP print. Long story short I felt USD took an unfair beating so I waited for it to settle and went long USD on 5 pairs...got 30.8 quiick pips...as you can see I could have got MUCH more...but I was not expecting to trade and this was more a trade based on my "gut" and experience so I was happy for the 30 "Christmas pips" and have no regrets on leaving pips on the table for this trade.

Have a great weekend!

Joe

Turtle Forex

Attachments

• August 2-3.JPG
    August 2-3.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 262
  • August 2-4JPG.JPG
    August 2-4JPG.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 299
Re: Great minds think alike...:)

Hi Neil!

I was browsing thru some of your posts and came across your FX Correlator and it looks a lot like an indy a wrote a couple years ago that I use in my everyday trading..I call it the Strength Meter.

Just like you, it took me a bit to learn to interpret the indicator properly, even though I wrote it...lol...but after literally 1,000's of trades I understand how to read it...:)

I have a video that briefly explains (for me 15 minutes is brief...hehehe) how I use it to identify possible trades:

Strenght Meter Video

I DL'd your PDF on the correlator...gonna take a look in the AM. Hope to see you around!

Joe

hey Joe

I've been fooling with FOREX SM's since the early 2000's.......they are fully integrated into my trading strategies and I could never look to trade any other way

I tweaked mine from some Free stuff published by Ferru_FX , TRO and a few others + the grandfather of Strengthmeters at the Metatrader home site where they talk about cluster trading and offer some simple strengthmeters for free usage and development

for me Strengthmeters are the window to the market as you watch the chosen currencies move from strength to weakness and back again ad infinitum

I notice some TV channels as well on your site .......thats interesting...are you streaming data during trading times ?

N

Re: Great minds think alike...:)

hey Joe

I've been fooling with FOREX SM's since the early 2000's.......they are fully integrated into my trading strategies and I could never look to trade any other way

I tweaked mine from some Free stuff published by Ferru_FX , TRO and a few others + the grandfather of Strengthmeters at the Metatrader home site where they talk about cluster trading and offer some simple strengthmeters for free usage and development

for me Strengthmeters are the window to the market as you watch the chosen currencies move from strength to weakness and back again ad infinitum

I notice some TV channels as well on your site .......thats interesting...are you streaming data during trading times ?

N

Hi Neil!

Yes, these are an incredible tool. After you learn how to read them properly (It took almost 2 year and over 1,000 trades before I really "got it") they are indispensable..A Strength Meter, with some fibs and pivots, and a little experience are all you really need to get and out of high percentage trades.

My site will have a free "Live Streaming Strength Meter" along with a live screencast of my trading sessions...just working out some audio issues, I hope to officially launch the site in a week or two, but will be adding to what you see as well.

Ended up taking a couple NZD positions that put the $100 Challenge account over 500%! Post to follow.

Have a great weekend!

Joe

Turtle Forex $100 Challenge Account Hits 500%!

Well folks I know I felt I was done for the day....twice...but when certain high-percentage set-ups present themselves I dont consider taking a shot over trading.

A beautiful NZD long set-up materialized so I decided to take a shot at EURNZD and GBPNZD....two very volitile pairs that I happen to love trading...if you trade these crazy guys for a couple day, trading EURUSD will feel like trading in slow motion...hehehe

Long story short...22.6 pips in 5 minutes...the set upp did not lie, both of these pairs have gone another 25+ pips in my direction since exit.

But what is really cool is that these trades put the TurtleForex $100 Challenge at 500%! Just 3 weeks ago we were at about 400%. Keep in mind folks these gains are being made trading just one micro-lot, which shows you dont need to over leverage yourself to make great gains. It only requires discipline, patience and good money/trade management.

Have a great weekend (again...hehehehe)

Joe

Attachments

• August 2-5.JPG
    August 2-5.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 235
August 5

Today was a bit of a battle, need to place some recovery trades, but all things considered, it was a good day!

Todays theme was long NZD and CHF and short GBP...they really gave me a wrestling match, but no single position went more the 40 pips against us and it just required some patience and some well timed recovery trades...I tried to look for pairs to "trade around" the other positions, but I just did not see anything so I added to existing positions

Overall got about 100 pips, so not a bad day! It was another day of leaving quite a bit on the table but with the way things reacted initially I felt the thing to do was to protect profit...plus who can complain about 100 pips?

Happy Trading!

Joe

August 5 - Part II

Got another one of those rare signals to short NZD across the board. I am getting more confident with my trading and was able to short NZD after being long earlier without reservation. I am very pleased with how I handled this trade and if you have followed my posts you know I am very critical of my performance.

It was a big day overall, about 175 pips total and a great start to the week!

Happy Trading!

Joe

Turtle Forex

Attachments

• a5pips.JPG
    a5pips.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 214
  • nzd75-2.JPG
    nzd75-2.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 220
  • nzd75-1.JPG
    nzd75-1.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 199
August 6

Markets were not offering much in early trading and I missed a USD buy signal...Just when I was thinking the day would see me on the sidelines, EUR took off and then offered a nice opportunity to short. I played this one a bit different and in hindsight could have been a bit more selective in my entries instead of shorting EUR "across the board". Had a little trouble closing out ECHF which caused me to accidentally close EU, overall it cost us about 9 pips, but with 47.1 pips overall on the "EUR Short" trade, let's not complain...

Happy Trading!

Joe

Attachments

• August6-1.JPG
    August6-1.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 181
  • August6-2.JPG
    August6-2.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Aug6-3.JPG
    Aug6-3.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 235