Turkish Lira Carry Trade

DannyBly

I'm looking at the sizeable 12% interest rate differential on the USD/TRY currency pair.

I'm thinking this might be a good time to look to position myself short in the USD/TRY to participate in Turkey's economic development over the next year or so -

Danny,

I reckon the volatility of the TRY will be your worst enemy here, and possibly wipe out any yield advantage. Plus you've got the uncertainty of whether or not they enter the EU. Nobody wants them.

Grant.

lol!

GJ, whats your take on a EUR/LVL carry trade? LVL is pegged in practice to EUR at 0.7 so in theory, the exchange rate risk is somewhat reduced, and LVL interest rates are rising rather fast

Arbitrageur/GJ,

If a currency is pegged as above but the domestic interest rate is rising, wouldn't this create some kind of structural stress?

Surely if a currency is pegged, wouldn't there be at least an implicit linkage between rates?

Presumably, intervention to maintain the peg would be relatively expensive if the domestic rate is higher (I'm assuming Latvia, for example, would need to borrow if there are insufficient funds).

Grant.

GJ,

Just took a quick glance at the background of the Thai crisis. My thoughts immediately turned to China.

Grant.

GJ,

I wasn't making a comparison. It was the way problems unravelled and snowballed (as with the current CDO, etc crisis in the US).

I reckon China's Achilles Heel is it's property market - building projects half completed and abandoned, financed by massive debt, and still expanding. And isn't the government encouraging banks to finance businesses on a more relaxed basis?

Their massive wage inflation is already affecting exports. The clothing price constituent (significant Chinese exports)of the US CPI - hitherto, one of the most consistent disinfaltionary constituents - has turned inflationary, not seen since 1988. Of course, the weak dollar doesn't help, either

So when will the governnment start getting twitchy? They'll probably just cover it up until someone does the job for them, ie foreign investors will bail-out.

Sure these guys know their business, but it only works until it stops

Grant, Chief economist, Goldman Sachs.