Trading's Effect On Emotions

As time goes on do you just learn to shrug it off? I was talking to a friend earlier who said that you should only feel bad / kick your own ass mentally if you are not in profit by close of play on friday, which is very true i suppose.

Whats your views on this? How do you deal with the emotions?

Yes, you have to accept what the market does and stick to your rules, whatever they may be. If you're down on the week/month, you're down. That's the way it is.

As to dealing with it, several methods can help:
1) meditate
2) take up some kind of sport/fitness training
3) don't make trading a big part of your life so even if it isn't going well, and other aspects of your life are, you won't feel so **** about it
4) learn to control your thoughts (easy... when you've practised for years :D )

I am, of course, assuming you actually know how to trade. If you don't, you're dead in the water, anyway, so continue practising.

Sorry, I would have posted my comments earlier but I kicked the computer off the desk after my web page wouldn't load and accidentally karate chopped my desk.

Anyway, I always remain calm. Nothing gets me too emotional. I'm like a rock. Ice water in my veins..

%$#^$* web page is doing it again! Mother****, *********ing thing.

Peter

Come on now, stop freaking out guys O_O

Lol i'm in such a giddy mood now, will be out later for an epic night out... its so busy here in spain now :cheesy:

You talk about 'good' days and 'bad' days so it looks to me as if your trading is still a hit-and-miss affair and the element of uncertainty is playing havoc with your emotions and impairing your judgement. I think your friend is wrong in saying “you should only feel bad / kick your own ass mentally if you are not in profit by close of play on Friday”. You should only feel bad if you didn’t trade by your rules, and by rules I don’t mean ‘setups’. I sometimes go a whole week without a trade. The trade either jumps out at you or it doesn't.

DB, this is a great post. Don't try to place arbitrary frameworks round your trading, like the end of a day / week or whatever. It is a continuous process and it's only over when the money you make is taken out out of play permanently.