trading the range

marvel

Hello,
curious if there are any suggestions
a) how to statistically define a range (in order to identify as soon as possible)
b) any better tools than ADX to recognize as such

Marvel,
I treat stock market analysis as if it was no different to traditional statistical analysis. To analyse past data in order to predict the future with a certain level of probability, I put my faith in LINEAR REGRESSION and STANDARD DEVIATION.
There are several "outputs. The LR line gives you the slope of the prevailing trend. Placing 1 SD above and below the LR line defines where 90% of the data points are. 2SD=95%, 3SD =99%.
So if you have an up trend and the latest data point falls below the lower SD line, which is only a 5% occurence. (100% - 90%)/2., you have a tradable position. Either the trend is over, or the price must come back into the SD channel.
If you can find a stock/index where the LR line is close to horizontal then the 2 SD lines give you the perfect trading ranges to deal off.
It's horses for courses, not everyone will like this!

By the way, jealous that you live in Toronto. I love that City!
regards, G McA

tx. So far I have found the simple slope (over x days, being around zero) to be the best concurrent indicator. Would like to try working more with breakouts though.

Have you ever done any analysis of ZF (US five year government bond future)? I really liked trading it over Christmas when it had a nicely defined range. Would your methods give any clues that it was about to breakout?
Thanks