Trading the markets with Alan Rich.

Naz said:
Trade for today, +356 points profit in the first half hour of trading, why? because it was a hot stock.

Aattached are my heads up before the open to watch it. My account entry and exit and the chart.

Alan
Care to explain?
(a) why was it a 'hot stock'
(b) Why the entry?
(c) Why the exit?
(d) The reason for the 'heads up' before the open?
LII

Care to explain?
(a) why was it a 'hot stock'
(b) Why the entry?
(c) Why the exit?
(d) The reason for the 'heads up' before the open?

I think you will find that this was from a Via trader alert and that Via Trader is for fairly advanced traders only. They do not cater for the average trader and that is why you do not get any reasons for anything.

I have twice registered with Via Trader and find it caters to those people who are ok with "hot" stocks, very often illiquid stocks and with very wide spreads.

I am an ex student of Mr Rich and, although I can turn a daily profit, I consider myself to be still very much a learner.

I was hoping that Via Trader would have had at least some symapthy towards the average trader.

Alas, I was wrong.

Come on Mr Rich, include some stocks for "all people " in your scanner.

You might find that approach will attract more subscriptions.

Chicken Curry said:
I think you will find that this was from a Via trader alert and that Via Trader is for fairly advanced traders only. They do not cater for the average trader and that is why you do not get any reasons for anything.

I have twice registered with Via Trader and find it caters to those people who are ok with "hot" stocks, very often illiquid stocks and with very wide spreads.

I am an ex student of Mr Rich and, although I can turn a daily profit, I consider myself to be still very much a learner.

I was hoping that Via Trader would have had at least some symapthy towards the average trader.

Alas, I was wrong.

Come on Mr Rich, include some stocks for "all people " in your scanner.

You might find that approach will attract more subscriptions.
CC - are you saying even after tuition from Alan you can't use any of the information from his commercial scanner service?

You can't identify from the screen shot provided why it was (a) hot, (b) where/why the entry and (c) where/why the exit?

What I am saying Mr Bramble is that Via Trader caters for fairly advanced traders and that I do not consider myself to be in that category yet.

But , I would say that a lot of the alerts would have you entering counter-trend which takes a lot of confidence which comes from being an advanced trader does it not ?

All I am saying is that it would be nice if ViaTrader had a second tier to cater for people like me.

I had tuition from Mr Rich a long time ago.

He has obviously moved on.

I wasn't having a shot at anyone, just interested as clearly is LevII.

I'm sure Alan is a capable trader and a good coach. But I personally can't work charts without volume (I even use a proxy for volume on my FX). His chart meant nothing to me and in retrospect, they're all good calls after the event. But knowing the whys and wherefores would be interesting. All seems a bit intellectually pointless without.

My point is, that even after tuition from Alan, you're in the same boat as others that haven't had tuition from Alan.

Perhaps the key point is the one you make about recency of training with him. Perhaps you need to keep taking refresher courses from Alan to get anything out of the commercial subscription service?

I guess as he moves on and changes his style of trading, you need another course to understand how to use his drip-feed tip sheet.

Alan, as you just work for the company you mentioned a few posts back rather than run it or own any part of it, how do they manage to modify the scanner mechanics ona day-to-day basis to reflect your change in style and focus? Do they have a programmer on the team full time?

TheBramble said:
I wasn't having a shot at anyone, just interested as clearly is LevII.

I'm sure Alan is a capable trader and a good coach. But I personally can't work charts without volume (I even use a proxy for volume on my FX). His chart meant nothing to me and in retrospect, they're all good calls after the event. But knowing the whys and wherefores would be interesting. All seems a bit intellectually pointless without.

My point is, that even after tuition from Alan, you're in the same boat as others that haven't had tuition from Alan.

Perhaps the key point is the one you make about recency of training with him. Perhaps you need to keep taking refresher courses from Alan to get anything out of the commercial subscription service?

I guess as he moves on and changes his style of trading, you need another course to understand how to use his drip-feed tip sheet.

Alan, as you just work for the company you mentioned a few posts back rather than run it or own any part of it, how do they manage to modify the scanner mechanics ona day-to-day basis to reflect your change in style and focus? Do they have a programmer on the team full time?

You're in the process of raising passive-aggressiveness to the level of an art form . . .

dbphoenix said:
You're in the process of raising passive-aggressiveness to the level of an art form . . .
It's a Tale about a tail - a tail that belonged to a little red squirrel, and his name was Nutkin.

Hi all

Had go on the Via Trader scanner over the last couple of days and thought I would make a comment or two.

Chicken Curry said:

I wouldn't say that Via Trader is only for advanced traders, I am as green as they come but still managed to make $1,000 over 2 days trading 400 share lots using the scanner and Alan's setups.

Granted I have had a session with Alan and this made the trade decsion easier but I also understood why he put the stocks that he had in the scanner, in fact I had selected almost the same stocks.prior to the scanner being updated.

Given that I paid for this information and technique I don't understand why he should want to give it away for nothing? Nor why people should expect him to.

[QUOTE=Chicken Curry have twice registered with Via Trader and find it caters to those people who are ok with "hot" stocks, very often illiquid stocks and with very wide spreads.

So don't trade those stocks, there is a range of stocks in there for a reason, Over the course of the last 2 days I have traded stocks from $5 to $70, anymore than this then I don't even consider it unless it is a NYSE stock with good steady liquidty, tight spread and not overly volatile.

I will admit that I think the calls are more biased towards morning rather than evening plays.

[QUOTE=Chicken CurryI I am an ex student of Mr Rich and, although I can turn a daily profit, I consider myself to be still very much a learner.
I was hoping that Via Trader would have had at least some sympathy towards the average trader.

I think it does. In fact I think it is a very useful tool for somebody new to daytrading.

Bramble, Level II and Chicken Curry, do yourself a favour, buy the DVD or book a one day session with Alan and go for it.

Good Luck

Andrew C

p.s Chicken Curry not isolating your post to have a go, just thought you had good questions/observations.

Cheers

Last edited:
Why was TIE a hot stock? because it had moved 50% in three weeks. What i'm looking for are stocks that have potential for momentum up or down.

The reason for the heads up? because the pattern in the daily charts was a climatic sell signal. I mentioned this on the site the night before. If you looked at the daily chart you can see its a classic t/a reversal. The volume confirms it.

Why the entry? because the entry on a shooting star type of candle is under the low of the day before.

So why did i take the entry? because it did indeed fall under the low of the day before.

Why the exit because i'm a day trader making my living out of taking intra day runs and that initial spurt down had come to an end, i closed in my trailing stop and took my profit.

This is all very basic trading skills and chart observations that any beginners t/a course might teach. Pages 90,91,92,93 in Murphy's Technical analysis of the financial markets on reversal days details exactly what my observations were.

Do i put stocks in the scanner for all the people? members will know that i do. Every day i have AAPL SNDK and the three major indices. I also put a selection of stocks at all price ranges.

I attach a chart showing TIE and hopefully showing all the reasons i mentioned. So that beginners to trading the markets might learn a common reversal pattern.

Alan

Attachments

• tie9.gif
    tie9.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
I know its comfortable to trade things that move slowly and i know looking for strong moves can feel a bit nervous. However forgetting the web site i'm involved in all honesty whether swing trading or day trading that can be a very lucrative way to trade.

Take someone that wants to get fit and go to the gym in the evenings. They know it will do them good in the long run but after the initial euphoria many peoples minds will make excuses to them selves why they should'nt go but do something more comfortable like watching the television. Our minds tend to like the easy option rather than the one we know can be beneficial. So its a fact that gyms have lots of paid up members that never or rarely use their services.

However if you can force your mind to keep going to the gym in the end our mind can become a gym junky and is actively encouraging us to go and the end result is you become fit.

It can be the same about hot stocks. Our mind might say oh i think i'll just take it easy and look for something sensible that the crowd do. The result is that its comfortable but the wiggling and jiggling can cause over trading which benefits our broker rather than ourselves.

On the other hand by actively looking for something that has the potential to move rather than something that feels comfortable can mean we trade less but get bigger runs so hopefully our account gets larger.

There will always be people that want to sit infront of the TV and make rumblings about those gym freaks but in the end the gym freaks will end up fit.

Hot stock or momentum trading is not everyones cup of tea but it can be very enjoyable for those of us that do it. For the others well at least we've had the oppertunity of showing it.

Alan

blackcab said:
It's a Tale about a tail - a tail that belonged to a little red squirrel, and his name was Nutkin.
We have a duty to protect other little squirrels...And not all owls are as wise as they'd have you believe. Brown or otherwise.

Hang on Naz, your 'hot stocks' are precisely 'what the crowd do'. And there's nothing wrong with that if you get in and out quick.

But what I've seen of your scanner (sorry, the company you work for) scanner data feed is what you can get free from Yahoo and the like. If that ain't "The Crowd" I don't know what is.

I'm not knocking you. It's up to you how you earn your living, but how many 'calls' did your scanner make yesterday and how many developed into entry setups and how many into actual trades? The individual trader still has to exercise their skill in selecting what's being pumped out and how to, and if to, enter and when to exit. This is fine. As it should be. But the added-value and the scope in terms of trading edge of your specific scanner is debatable.

You cherry pick. And it needs to be clear you do this.

Naz said:
First of all we must remember that Chicken Curry and Bramble have both been banned from this site before and can be said to get enjoyment by the way they decide to comment on things.

Lets hope they've both moved on.

Why was TIE a hot stock? because it had moved 50% in three weeks. What i'm looking for are stocks that have potential for momentum up or down.

The reason for the heads up? because the pattern in the daily charts was a climatic sell signal. I mentioned this on the site the night before. If you looked at the daily chart you can see its a classic t/a reversal. The volume confirms it.

Why the entry? because the entry on a shooting star type of candle is under the low of the day before.

So why did i take the entry? because it did indeed fall under the low of the day before.

Why the exit because i'm a day trader making my living out of taking intra day runs and that initial spurt down had come to an end, i closed in my trailing stop and took my profit.

This is all very basic trading skills and chart observations that any beginners t/a course might teach. Pages 90,91,92,93 in Murphy's Technical analysis of the financial markets on reversal days details exactly what my observations were.

Do i put stocks in the scanner for all the people? members will know that i do. Every day i have AAPL SNDK and the three major indices. I also put a selection of stocks at all price ranges.

I attach a chart showing TIE and hopefully showing all the reasons i mentioned. So that beginners to trading the markets might learn a common reversal pattern.

Alan
Thank you.

Following numerous hot stocks, the indicies and a few old favourites in their twists and turns during the day can be difficult for any trader to physically cover them all at the same time any scanner makes a traders work load less by doing the tedious watching for him/her. A trader then does decide which one to Cherry pick for themselves.

I had hoped that more people would be mentioning hot stocks that they trade on this thread, so we could all view them and maybe cherry pick an entry that we fancy. Remember the thread is on swing trading as well.

Alan

If anyone is trading something hot, maybe its in a sector that most of us dont know is moving well. Day or swing trading, UK or US markets. No matter which. I dont need to know your entry, but it could be interesting to pick up on and keep an eye on it for a suitable trade in the future, thats what the thread is about.

Have a nice weekend .

Alan

The fundamental reason for single stock trading is variety, your options can be kept open rather than just trading an index only where a person can become restricted with thier options in consolidation periods etc. This may be the downfall of many a private investor/trader (they feel forced to trade tricky situations). That said when looking at multiple stock you've got to be able to ask yourself a question...do i know what i am looking for? This is where Alan may be able to help.

Mildly abusive post directed at Bramble deleted by mod

I beg to differ...

Along with many others I am also impressed with Alan and Mr. Charts' trade results but like TheBramble have some reservations.

While I appreciate stock selection is one element of successful trading, to trumpet ViaTrader as anything more than that is similar to some of the equipment I see advertised on the Golf Channel.
A PGA tour champ smacks a ball 300 yrds down the middle then says,
"Yes, for $99.99 with the new Easy-Wonder-club, you too can play like the pros...'
Then cut to overweight hack golfer executing same effortless shot (turns to camera and smiles with deep satisfaction).

Furthermore, I too feel my hackles rise when the veneer of an ostensibly public forum begins to tarnish with the dry rot of thinly disguised commercial interests.

For these reasons I would consider Crystalballs more of an idiot than TheBramble.

That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. But as an adult, if you don't agree with a certain thread why don't you just make one post with with your thoughts and feelings then just leave it alone. Why post on a thread you don't agree with......you are wasting your time and other peoples. Do you enjoy the markets?

crystalballs said:
That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. But as an adult, if you don't agree with a certain thread why don't you just make one post with with your thoughts and feelings then just leave it alone. Why post on a thread you don't agree with......you are wasting your time and other peoples. Do you enjoy the markets?

Is this addressed to me or Bramble?

If it is to me then then I have said my piece and will leave well alone.

Also I enjoy trading the markets much more than insults and I suggest you do the same and think twice before you call respected traders idiots...