Trading: Starting excitement, finding your groove, boredom.

trendie

Legendary member
How many of you are bored whilst trading?
Have you gotten over your initial excitement phase?
Have you evolved your style, and adjusted your expectation to something you are comfortable with? Found something that works?

I am bored. I think this is good. Tell me this is good!

Have you evolved your style, and adjusted your expectation to something you are comfortable with? Found something that works?

I know what you mean and generally agree with your sentiment. However, I don't think trading is ever "boring"in the true dictionary sense – it can become routine but nevertheless an interesting routine. There is always the unexpected (good & bad) to keep you on your toes and that provides variety and interest – I don't really want "excitement" in the sense of a daredevil thrill. The way I look at it is that once you know what you're doing (and it may take some time to get to that stage) then trading is really like having an ATM on your desk where you enter your trades and most times you get some money back. Every so often it swallows your card and actually takes some money off of you – but you don't really mind because you know that in the long run it's quite friendly and will see you alright, and provided you treat it with respect you get your card back. Very occasionally it has a meltdown (just like the real ones do) but providing you haven't been asking it for stupid amounts then it just balances out the occasions when you asked for little but purely by chance you got a lot.

You have to find & be comfortable with your trading style IMHO, otherwise you will spend lots of time scratching around flitting from system to system with very variable results (and if you haven't been through that phase then I don't think you have completed your training!). In the end you find that good old-fashioned 1st principles work just as well in trading as they do anywhere else – and I'm talking about the sort of stuff that dbPhoenix is good enough to explain. Couple that with some decent scanning methodology and for daily timeframe trading stocks you're well away – steady profits, no worry, no hassle leaving plenty of time to banter in the Foyer posting area. :)

"Routine". That is a much better word. Yes.
Looks like you have found your groove, too.

Banter: it might be just me, but I feel there is much less banter than there used to be.
(maybe, because I no longer come here to find great new ideas, just refinements of my own style.)

I think I started this thread to prevent myself replying on the "China Visa" thread that the problem with applying for a China Visa, is that half an hour later you want to apply for another one.
I think that was funny about 20 years ago, but today may be regarded as somewhat racist.

Anyway, have a great trading week. I am off to make some lunch pre-US opening.

"Routine". That is a much better word. Yes.
Looks like you have found your groove, too.

Banter: it might be just me, but I feel there is much less banter than there used to be.
(maybe, because I no longer come here to find great new ideas, just refinements of my own style.)

I think I started this thread to prevent myself replying on the "China Visa" thread that the problem with applying for a China Visa, is that half an hour later you want to apply for another one.
I think that was funny about 20 years ago, but today may be regarded as somewhat racist.

Anyway, have a great trading week. I am off to make some lunch pre-US opening.

Don't worry - it'll all be ok after Brexit (another 10 years?) ;)

Hey T

Boring , Routine , samo samo...........all semantics;)..........

as others are saying this is good.......we must treat trading as a job ..........well the actual execution anyway .....a trading system must have clear parameters that are followed to the letter..... alongside the rigid structures of MM , Risk management ......so it should be boring !!!

the way i liven things up is by constantly challenging the Status quo of my trading system , seeking to constantly improve or beat its performance with something better ..........I also try to work hard on the other areas like mindset , psychology etc , where there is plenty of room for improvement !

also i am guilty of being on lower timeframes for a lot of my trading .....so time goes pretty quickly as i tick along

add in loads of research and forum activity plus training / mentoring work .....and the day goes pretty quick ...........most days

N

a lot less banter than a few years back ............and in my opinion a lot less experienced traders around .........jees if you were to look at say 6-7 years back some of the names / threads / posts that were out here were legendary

these days its pretty thin for decent new ideas or threads ................I think the Mods should open up a classics archive and get some of the legendary threads back ....or consolidate the work of some of the greats here ......most of it is timeless !

N

a lot less banter than a few years back ............and in my opinion a lot less experienced traders around .........jees if you were to look at say 6-7 years back some of the names / threads / posts that were out here were legendary

these days its pretty thin for decent new ideas or threads ................I think the Mods should open up a classics archive and get some of the legendary threads back ....or consolidate the work of some of the greats here ......most of it is timeless !

N
That's a really good idea. I sometimes go back to those old threads and there's some very good value to be had. And you do wonder what has become of those legendary contributors?

That's a really good idea. I sometimes go back to those old threads and there's some very good value to be had. And you do wonder what has become of those legendary contributors?

yes i do actually 0007...........they were all bloody good traders so i doubt if many left due to adverse financial results from their trading so they quit the game...........probably more the following

Sick and tired of the Newbie members who were know it alls and never listened to them

Sick and tired of some of the more vocal members who gave them too much stick over the years

Felt that the time being invested in T2win was more useful spent elsewhere on other forums and websites

Their trading and business interests took up more and more of their time

Other Family issues took up more and more of their time

Sickness and health issues

Sadly the last reason there may be the case for quite a few ............I lost a mentor a few years back who was active on T2win and also another trader not so active but still respected a few months back .......

N

You're a bum. If you don't love what you do, you're lost. If you're not passionate about what you do, you are mediocre.

The 3 words, bum, lost & mediocre define you. Your posts confirm it. that's jut the way it is

may have already posted on here .....

Bored is good .....Bored is solid .....Boring is profitable

if you want excitement go to the racetrack
if you want guarantees buy a washing machine
If you want Kudos and acclaim - go on social media and talk bollox
If you want notoriety - see above
If you want love - see above
If you want money - see above

one you achieve boredom in your trading then you've cracked it .......its a job that pays the rent ......
I'm 1000% bored with my trading techniques because i have been doing them pretty much for nearly 20 years ......doesn't mean they dont work and I love all the peripheral stuff with trading .....discovering new ideas .....working with good traders and programmers and traders ....and looking at all the Sh*t and Cr*p dished out on social media about trading.....hilarious comedy for me !

Bored in my trading ? ....of course
Bored With Trading itself ? ....nope ....loads of fun stuff out there still to discover

N

You're a bum. If you don't love what you do, you're lost. If you're not passionate about what you do, you are mediocre.

The 3 words, bum, lost & mediocre define you. Your posts confirm it. that's jut the way it is

fib - you have to come out of that shell and be more straight in your talking ...;)

fib - you have to come out of that shell and be more straight in your talking ...;)

Like so?

Trendie takes a girl up to his room.
She says to trendie, "I offer you my honor"
Trendie replies, "I honor your offer"
Nothing happens.
In the middle of the nite, Fibo come in and plugs 'em both