Trading platform that can reference multiple sources of data for one stock

MikeHersee

Hi, I used to have TradeStation some years back and experimented but didn't use it to actually trade. I'm returning my attention to trading.

What I seem to recall about TradeStation was that you could only use one source of data for any given stock. That is, you could do any number of analyses on the historical price of BP to make buying and selling decisions for BP, but you couldn't use a model that also referenced the historical price of Shell to calculate trading decisions for BP. Or, that will allow me to use historical data from the FTSE100 as well as historical data from a given stock to made buying decisions for a given stock. That's what I'm looking for. Are there any current platforms that allow you to do that?

Any help appreciated

Mike Hersee

Can you give more detail and maybe an example of how you would use mutiple source data to make a specific trade ? I know that Tradestation does allow a separate data feed but I am not sure if that feed can be for a different instrument.

Can you give more detail and maybe an example of how you would use mutiple source data to make a specific trade ? I know that Tradestation does allow a separate data feed but I am not sure if that feed can be for a different instrument.
Well, I specifically want to create a separate historical file of data that represents, for example, a socio-economic index (ie, societal mood) based on other data to use that as a bias factor in influencing the threshold of buy and sell indicators based on the stock itself, as well as being updated to make live trading decisions.

and thanks for the very prompt response :)

Edit: Just to give more clarity, what I mean is that - supposing I'm using daily stock data - I would create a separate file also of the exact days that the stock data is available for with my own special index, so that when whichever indicator looks back at five days earlier on the daily stock data, my custom formula might also reference five days earlier of my special data file for comparison, so that backtesting would work properly. ie, two files with identical date ranges, one with the daily stock data and one with special data. And preferably more than one special file. Or, the ability to execute a separate program call in the formula passing in the date being examined so that a value can be returned.

Last edited:
Well, I specifically want to create a separate historical file of data that represents, for example, a socio-economic index (ie, societal mood) based on other data to use that as a bias factor in influencing the threshold of buy and sell indicators based on the stock itself, as well as being updated to make live trading decisions.

and thanks for the very prompt response :)

Edit: Just to give more clarity, what I mean is that - supposing I'm using daily stock data - I would create a separate file also of the exact days that the stock data is available for with my own special index, so that when whichever indicator looks back at five days earlier on the daily stock data, my custom formula might also reference five days earlier of my special data file for comparison, so that backtesting would work properly. ie, two files with identical date ranges, one with the daily stock data and one with special data. And preferably more than one special file. Or, the ability to execute a separate program call in the formula passing in the date being examined so that a value can be returned.
what you're asking for is pretty straight forward. ideally however an array based platform so that for every open High low close, you also keep the data for your symbol
I use amibroker and the language allows you to reference data from anywhere else
by using the "foreign" function
I generally use foreign when I want to reference the trend of the index or sector as well the symbol im looking at
1619365940242.png

what you're asking for is pretty straight forward. ideally however an array based platform so that for every open High low close, you also keep the data for your symbol
I use amibroker and the language allows you to reference data from anywhere else
by using the "foreign" function
I generally use foreign when I want to reference the trend of the index or sector as well the symbol im looking at
View attachment 299333
Ah, thanks for that, just the sort of thing I needed.

You can compare symbols in 1Station cross market aware platform, you can develop (non-programming) indicators merging information of any kind across markets. The platform has three dedicated charts comparing information across charts in different ways. Below is one of them. 1Station
vix.gif

Last edited: