Trading my Account while in Finance Industry

KospiKing

As I am studying for the CFA, I'm trying to get a feel for what individual trading (if any) I'll be able to do depending on what job I get in industry.

If I join a bank as an equity or fixed-income analyst, am I eligible to do *any* private trading of my own? If I trade after a certain window, am I good to go?

If I join a publication and publish my opinions there, what individual trading can I do at home?

If I am the portfolio manager at a bank (but not running my own hedge fund) what individual trading can I do at home?

I saw a thread here earlier from the Finra-registered fellow that spooked me a bit. So wondering, is everyone in Finance just working for salary+bonus and not doing any private trading?

As I am studying for the CFA, I'm trying to get a feel for what individual trading (if any) I'll be able to do depending on what job I get in industry.

If I join a bank as an equity or fixed-income analyst, am I eligible to do *any* private trading of my own? If I trade after a certain window, am I good to go?

If I join a publication and publish my opinions there, what individual trading can I do at home?

If I am the portfolio manager at a bank (but not running my own hedge fund) what individual trading can I do at home?

I saw a thread here earlier from the Finra-registered fellow that spooked me a bit. So wondering, is everyone in Finance just working for salary+bonus and not doing any private trading?

I'm sure you can trade your own account, question is would you have time to and wouldn't it also be increasing your risk since your take home pay is dependent upon your fund performance?

If you join a bank as an equity or fixed-income analyst, or portfolio manager at a bank (but not running your own hedge fund), then a Personal Account PA is forbidden at almost all banks. If found out, it is a sack-able offence. Suspicion of conflict of interest, insider trading and breaching of Chinese wall.

If you join a publication and publish your opinions there, then the firm will have its own rules.

Well trading is a difficult one. You are very specific about jobs. Generally everyone can purchase and sell shares, etc. However, there are rules for different jobs and different types of institutions. Also remember you have to notify your employer before you trade to get their approval. No approval, no trading. Usually you have to get two or three approvals from within. Front office, back office, risk management. You will not get approval if one of your trades conflicts with something going on internally. I.e. they are about to sell a big chunk of the company you request to deal and so on.

You can of course buy and sell investment trusts, funds, etc. since you have no control on the managers you choose. Hope this helps.

You can invest with your own account, but there are strict rules to prevent trading. For instance, where I work you are required to hold all positions for a month unless you experience a 15% loss on the security. To satisfy the trading itch I just papertrade. I use publicly available market data through think or swim, and track my paper trades with an excel spreadsheet.

I work technology for one of the US banks.