Trading Computer Setup: Advice

mrdmorrison

I want to build a computer to trade, video edit, photo edit and other general intensive usages. Although I do not play any games and have always have brought a mac in the past I am deciding to build a windows machine this time. Below is my setup. My goal is to get the 'best bang for my buck', I have skinped on the i7 and GPU to save costs. What are your thoughts and recommendations to my setup.

Case - Coolermaster HAF912 PLUS Advanced Case - Black
Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad Core Processor
Cooler - Akasa Venom CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD3 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard **B3 REVISION**
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz C9 Memory Kit
Graphics Card - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5
Power Supply - Corsair TX 850w Power Supply
Hard Drive - Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s HDD
Monitors - 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H 23

Any advice or comments welcomed :p

I want to build a computer to trade, video edit, photo edit and other general intensive usages. Although I do not play any games and have always have brought a mac in the past I am deciding to build a windows machine this time. Below is my setup. My goal is to get the 'best bang for my buck', I have skinped on the i7 and GPU to save costs. What are your thoughts and recommendations to my setup.

Case - Coolermaster HAF912 PLUS Advanced Case - Black
Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad Core Processor
Cooler - Akasa Venom CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD3 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard **B3 REVISION**
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz C9 Memory Kit
Graphics Card - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5
Power Supply - Corsair TX 850w Power Supply
Hard Drive - Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s HDD
Monitors - 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H 23

Any advice or comments welcomed :p

The Sandybridge CPU motherboards use either P67 or H67 chipsets. If you're not a gamer and you're not wanting to "overclock" then you may find the H67 chipset is adequate for your needs - probably save you about £50 on mobo costs. Also, the H67 mobos allow use of integrated graphics capability which may also be adeqate for your needs - if not, just buy the graphics card if/when you need it. There's some discussion on P67/H67 here http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/895731-chipset-p67-h67-2.html PS. I do low level video editing & photo processing on an ancient (ie 4 yrs old) Intel P4 which copes adequately - so H67 will probably go like greased weasel$hit in comparison: if you have particularly intensive graphics needs then a good idea speak to someone with similar experience.

Presumably you're planning on a Windows 7 64-bit system since you have opted for 8gb ram - if you're using 32-bit, then no point in installing more than 4gb.

The Cooler - Akasa Venom CPU Cooler is a gamers/overclockers piece of kit. You can save its approx £35 cost by just using the Intel cooler included in the retail (not oem) kit which should be adequate for normal use.

You may not need such a powerful PSU (850 watts) - the main thing with PSUs is to get a reliable quality make as current fluctuations can play havoc with a system. ASUS (excellent mobos) website has a power needs calculator here http://support.asus.com/powersupplycalculator/pscalculator.aspx?slnaguage=en=us

Mobo - Gigabyte & Asus both excellent. Before you commit, I suggest you download the makers' manuals and read the small print to ensure it does what you want. Eg. I'm currently planning a system similar to yours with Asus mobo: one subtype of the P8H67 series allows simultaneous video output from mobo and graphics card while another doesn't. This can really screw your plans if you are into serious multi-monitors - something I've found really useful with almost everthing else as well as trading.

Ram - I always use Crucial (not cos it's any better though it is excellent quality and easy to order from their website) because they have a good memory advisor tool here http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx Some of the other manufrs websites are not so helpful.

Selection of hard drive and set up really depends on what your requirements are and could involve RAID etc - you'll need to Google up on that. But for normal purposes I find a single HD is adeqate with suitable backup eg you will need a decent size if your main HD is1TB. I use a portable external drive. Beware HD performance figures - one main difference is data seek times & data transfer times - these are different and your requirements will govern which needs to be optimum. Having said that, just Google HD reviews and get what suits you. If you've loads of dosh you might consider a solid state disc (SSD) - can be very quick eg for bootup. But it's early days and there are some reported shortcomings - as with most new technology it's worth waiting for the dust to settle.

Software - if you go 64-bit you may need to consider any legacy software's compatibility. Most reasonably recent stuff seems to be ok according to most comment. But it's worth checking if you have anything essential to your needs.

Let us know how the build goes!

The Sandybridge CPU motherboards use either P67 or H67 chipsets. If you're not a gamer and you're not wanting to "overclock" then you may find the H67 chipset is adequate for your needs - probably save you about £50 on mobo costs. Also, the H67 mobos allow use of integrated graphics capability which may also be adeqate for your needs - if not, just buy the graphics card if/when you need it. There's some discussion on P67/H67 here http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/895731-chipset-p67-h67-2.html PS. I do low level video editing & photo processing on an ancient (ie 4 yrs old) Intel P4 which copes adequately - so H67 will probably go like greased weasel$hit in comparison: if you have particularly intensive graphics needs then a good idea speak to someone with similar experience.

Presumably you're planning on a Windows 7 64-bit system since you have opted for 8gb ram - if you're using 32-bit, then no point in installing more than 4gb.

The Cooler - Akasa Venom CPU Cooler is a gamers/overclockers piece of kit. You can save its approx £35 cost by just using the Intel cooler included in the retail (not oem) kit which should be adequate for normal use.

You may not need such a powerful PSU (850 watts) - the main thing with PSUs is to get a reliable quality make as current fluctuations can play havoc with a system. ASUS (excellent mobos) website has a power needs calculator here http://support.asus.com/powersupplycalculator/pscalculator.aspx?slnaguage=en=us

Mobo - Gigabyte & Asus both excellent. Before you commit, I suggest you download the makers' manuals and read the small print to ensure it does what you want. Eg. I'm currently planning a system similar to yours with Asus mobo: one subtype of the P8H67 series allows simultaneous video output from mobo and graphics card while another doesn't. This can really screw your plans if you are into serious multi-monitors - something I've found really useful with almost everthing else as well as trading.

Ram - I always use Crucial (not cos it's any better though it is excellent quality and easy to order from their website) because they have a good memory advisor tool here http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx Some of the other manufrs websites are not so helpful.

Selection of hard drive and set up really depends on what your requirements are and could involve RAID etc - you'll need to Google up on that. But for normal purposes I find a single HD is adeqate with suitable backup eg you will need a decent size if your main HD is1TB. I use a portable external drive. Beware HD performance figures - one main difference is data seek times & data transfer times - these are different and your requirements will govern which needs to be optimum. Having said that, just Google HD reviews and get what suits you. If you've loads of dosh you might consider a solid state disc (SSD) - can be very quick eg for bootup. But it's early days and there are some reported shortcomings - as with most new technology it's worth waiting for the dust to settle.

Software - if you go 64-bit you may need to consider any legacy software's compatibility. Most reasonably recent stuff seems to be ok according to most comment. But it's worth checking if you have anything essential to your needs.

Let us know how the build goes!

Thanks for the information, that is very informative. You are right im going to be using Windows 7 64-bit. I cant wait for the upgrade from my g5 duel 2ghz mac that ive had for about 6years, it was the 'beaz knees' when I brought it and now its defiantly time for an upgrade. I specked a mac out and it came to over 3k and I thought its not worth paying the 'mac tax' as im trying to be frugal and get the best 'bang for buck' so I have more capital to invest. That being said im not a gamer but as I studied graphic design and use allot of media editing aps such as cs5 I dont want a dog either.

Im not planning on over-clocking as I dont want to risk burning the processor out as I intend to get maximum use from the system longterm. I agree with your theory that solid state technology is not quiet there yet and therefor overpriced so im staying clear of that for now. Despite recommendations from users on tech forums to go with the upgrade... I guess I can always trust an investor to go with economical advice hehe

I agree the powerunit is an overkill but there is only about £10 difference between a 750 and 850 so my thoughts are that It would give me the option to keep my power supply when I build my next computer (hopefully in another 5 years to get maximum value)

When you say your planning on multiple monitors how many are you getting? im getting two dell ultra sharp 23" monitors for 240 each, although i phoned dell and they can do me a discount of 21" ultra sharps for 199£ so im still undecided.

I have a few questions about your post:
(1) are you saying I can do without a cooler because im not overclocking and the stuff fitted with the CPU will be adequate?
(2) when you say 'legacy software's compatibility' in regards to the 64-bit, does that mean that potentially old apps that I like may not work with my OS, such as some freeware
(3) I know very little about motherboards as this is my first build so even highlighting there is a difference between P67 or H67 has helped me.

On a gamers forum it has been pointed out that my graphics card is low end (by there standards) but im thinkig "is the graphics card even that important for stock trading or video editing???"

Im also wondering if im loosing value by skimping on the i7, it is an additional £100 and about 9% of the system cost, so I thought it worthwhile to bank that saving for my next system.

I feel like ive crammed allot of questions into my reply, but any help is gratefully appreciated. I might even try to squeeze one more in for luck: im new to the forums and im wondering If I can put my blog link in my signature?

anyways thanks for the help with the 'bang for buck; computer build... ill post pics up once I have it live

Thanks for the information, that is very informative. You are right im going to be using Windows 7 64-bit. I cant wait for the upgrade from my g5 duel 2ghz mac that ive had for about 6years, it was the 'beaz knees' when I brought it and now its defiantly time for an upgrade. I specked a mac out and it came to over 3k and I thought its not worth paying the 'mac tax' as im trying to be frugal and get the best 'bang for buck' so I have more capital to invest. That being said im not a gamer but as I studied graphic design and use allot of media editing aps such as cs5 I dont want a dog either.

Im not planning on over-clocking as I dont want to risk burning the processor out as I intend to get maximum use from the system longterm. I agree with your theory that solid state technology is not quiet there yet and therefor overpriced so im staying clear of that for now. Despite recommendations from users on tech forums to go with the upgrade... I guess I can always trust an investor to go with economical advice hehe

I agree the powerunit is an overkill but there is only about £10 difference between a 750 and 850 so my thoughts are that It would give me the option to keep my power supply when I build my next computer (hopefully in another 5 years to get maximum value)

When you say your planning on multiple monitors how many are you getting? im getting two dell ultra sharp 23" monitors for 240 each, although i phoned dell and they can do me a discount of 21" ultra sharps for 199£ so im still undecided.
I'm planning to use 4 - i currently do that but from 2 PCs. You should have no problem with your 2 Dells. To check compatibility with your system you need to know the resolution of the monitors & ensure your graphics setup can cope (see the spec of your mobo/graphics card).

I have a few questions about your post:
(1) are you saying I can do without a cooler because im not overclocking and the stuff fitted with the CPU will be adequate?
The Intel "cooler" ie attached electric fan is adequate for normal use - your mobo should adjust its use & speed (same as on your car). Overclocking pushes the CPU beyond Intel's guaranteed performance and generates a lot of heat, which is why gamers need more cooling. (The cpu will give up if it overheats). My preferred option is to use the cpu as designed - but my main requirement is stability and reliability whereas gamers want out & out performance. Note that some retail PC vendors obtain astounding results using "overclocking" but they rarely use the bog-standard cooling system.

(2) when you say 'legacy software's compatibility' in regards to the 64-bit, does that mean that potentially old apps that I like may not work with my OS, such as some freeware.
Possibly - you won't know for sure until you try, unless you can Google someone lese's experience.

(3) I know very little about motherboards as this is my first build so even highlighting there is a difference between P67 or H67 has helped me.

On a gamers forum it has been pointed out that my graphics card is low end (by there standards) but im thinkig "is the graphics card even that important for stock trading or video editing???"
My ASUS Pentium P4 mobo with integrated graphics worked fine with all low-end video/office apps/trading apps. I only added a graphics card (£25 - cheapo) when my new 22" & 23" monitors had resolution beyond the integarted capabilities. It's dead easy to add a garphics card later if you need one. Do remember that some people have a graphics card only because their system posseses no on-board capability.

Im also wondering if im loosing value by skimping on the i7, it is an additional £100 and about 9% of the system cost, so I thought it worthwhile to bank that saving for my next system.
Unless performance is critical (which it isn't for most trading) do as they say in NY: "fahgedaboudit". Your biggest slowup will almost certainly be your internet connection. Remember that whatever you buy this year will likely be outdated trash next year. (Yet I can still surf the web ok on my old Win 98 PC from the last century!)

I feel like ive crammed allot of questions into my reply, but any help is gratefully appreciated. I might even try to squeeze one more in for luck: im new to the forums and im wondering If I can put my blog link in my signature? I don't think that's a problem unless you're a scammer, spammer or a closet vendor. I like reading interesting blogs.

anyways thanks for the help with the 'bang for buck; computer build... ill post pics up once I have it live

See comments in blue above. Out of interest, I'm only upgrading my old P4 computer because I need improved capability for voice recognition software - I have no problems in respect of trading using this PC.

See comments in blue above. Out of interest, I'm only upgrading my old P4 computer because I need improved capability for voice recognition software - I have no problems in respect of trading using this PC.

haha your indeed like me then you like to run a computer to the ground!! Ive had experience installing components as ive had to patch up my mac many times, but it still keeps on giving.

Nope im no scammer, spammer or a closet vendor so ill post my blog in the sig and ive a mod sends me a private message ill point my finger at you and run! :p

This thread has been helpful in saving me some valuable £££, im convinced now I dont need the i7, im going to scrap the watercooler. Not use onboard graphics because im convinced a card will be better but ima only get the basic card I first stated as im hoping that will do me justice with my video editing. Ill grab myself some manuals for the Motherboards.

Stick my wrist stap on and hope for the best :cheesy:

EDIT ------
I just checked the rules:

3. Signature Rules

3.1 Signatures should not be excessively long.
3.2 It is not permitted to use the signatures to advertise. Signatures may not include any link, identifiable URL or email address. Identifying your company name or type of business is not permitted UNLESS the principal reason for using the site is the representation of the company to address members' questions and support issues. Members may include details of their website and profession in their personal profiles.

Oh well - -never mind

Last edited:
Sandybridge is a good chip, I upgraded my PC1 to this a while ago, stuck XP on and relegated the Athlon X2 6000 to run a cracked win7 on PC2, this gives me a three screen display achievable by synergy, a Nvidia Card in the main PC and the second PC display. It's upgradable in that #1 a card could replace the Nvida with more than 2 outputs in PC1 or #2 another card like this or better could go in PC2. I've got a panoramic style 3 monitor setup which is handy for trading. I can have sharescope in one or the other maybe excel and my trade screens. I also recommend splits in the browsers. Also, little known fact Sharescope will run fine off a shared drive as long as the drive can be read and written to. It's not like XP it doesn't demand you buy it per PC, hence my cracked win 7 protest machine. You can also run it on two PC's at once. Two shares, two screens etc. If you're into the meta stuff, just install per machine.

The SandyBridge I5 core which I have here is very fast, though you'd be amazed at how many applications don't actually use the four cores because the software has been lagging the hardware like a bad ADX reading for many years now. Excel however is getting better and better at doing this. If you want to go for all out blinding speed tweak the ram and/or think about a RAM disk, a nifty bit of kit which allows read write from the RAM itself thus addressing a major bottleneck in speed i.e. read/write, raid or not, new SATA 3 or not, is slower than DMA - especially to those high end Crucial thingies that are starting to come out now. Depending on your OS you might have invisible ram, that can be resurrected and used.

I agree SandyBridge higher is a gaming thing only though the clockable ones are more value for money than the unclockable ones. Wouldn't touch AMD now with a bargepole, they're simply not competitive at high end any more 7 cores or not.

Andy

I want to build a computer to trade, video edit, photo edit and other general intensive usages. P

Photos may hide too many viruses. Try to separate trading from any other activity, including email, web browsing and editing of all kinds.

I would agree with intradaybill. Any medium even low powered system will run a even high end charting package and having a seperate data feed means if you have a small problem it can be isolated quickly. Essential if you are an intraday trader.
My own setup is with a dual core intel 4gb running 2 charting packages output through potentially 4 monitors (VGA). I use this for trading and trading / accounting only. I am networked so I use another system for web viewing, video woork and of course porn.

I would agree with intradaybill. Any medium even low powered system will run a even high end charting package and having a seperate data feed means if you have a small problem it can be isolated quickly. Essential if you are an intraday trader.
My own setup is with a dual core intel 4gb running 2 charting packages output through potentially 4 monitors (VGA). I use this for trading and trading / accounting only. I am networked so I use another system for web viewing, video woork and of course porn.

+1

Photos may hide too many viruses. Try to separate trading from any other activity, including email, web browsing and editing of all kinds.

I would too agree with intradaybill and Bint_Crusher.
I also use two PCs: one for my personal use and other for the trading. This gives me the hassle free work..