Trading around options in Forex

arabianights

Legendary member
Is this done in a similar way in Forex? E.G. Apparently there's a cable barrier at 1.6025, so presumably there's someone defending the level and someone trying to get to it... so are you guys buying cable up to there then selling it when it gets above it, or what?

Ceteris paribus, of course.

Bit more complex than that, but in very very general terms.....

Thing is, they usually get taken out in the end. Pretty rare for a large one to be defended successfully, but it's not as simple as that - would have to go into the gamma and vega characteristics of a complex options portfolio to talk about what the various participants are doing and why - all gets a bit long winded.

Most useful thing to concentrate on in terms of OTC fx options and their effect on the underlying (i.e. spot ) market is the gamma profile of the market makers. If at certain levels they're predominantly long gamma, expect spot to be 'sticky'. If the reverse, expect it to be 'whippy'. This changes depending on all sorts of things, not least where we are in spot.

It's definitely more an art than a science. And before anyone asks - there isn't a single website, isn't a single 'formula', isn't a 5 minute scalping strategy for guaranteed money off this stuff (Not you Arabian obviously, just anticipating the PMs etc). It's just background knowledge.

GJ

:cry:

So in English whay you're saying is that there'san option at 160.25 and depending on how certain counterparties are positioned it could easily chop around this level for a while.

Eg if looking to go long wait until a clean break above 160.25?

Not so clued up on options, only every traded stocks (cash) and FX.

Just curious really not looking for tradin advice, been a long time since i did my Reg Rep exam so my knowledge of options i very limited.

Cheers guys

Last edited: