Traders, Please Save The Radio 4 Theme!

Beach Runner

Hi everyone,

Radio 4 is intending to scrap its morning theme tune that goes out at 5.30 AM each morning.

If there are any traders out there who trade the London markets, and find this music of great comfort to listen to at the start of the day - and don't want it given the chop - could you please sign the petition to keep it at:

www.savetheradio4theme.co.uk

You can also listen to the music on a page at this site. And since the announcement (which I think was only yesterday) they have had over 3000 signitures.

Radio 4 also has a Message Board on the subject which is getting lots of comments:

www.bbc.co.uk

Please sign. Mornings just won't be the same without it...

And here is some BBC info on the subject:

"...played daily for 33 years at 0530, the five-minute medley of English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish tunes will be replaced by a news bulletin.

One listener, writing on the station's internet messageboard, claimed to have burst into tears upon hearing the news.

Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer had predicted a protest but believed its replacement would suit the audience.

The theme includes Danny Boy, What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?, Scotland the Brave, Rule Britannia, Men of Harlech, Greensleeves, Londonderry Air and Early One Morning...."

Beach Runner said:
Hi everyone,

Radio 4 is intending to scrap its morning theme tune that goes out at 5.30 AM each morning.

If there are any traders out there who trade the London markets, and find this music of great comfort to listen to at the start of the day - and don't want it given the chop - could you please sign the petition to keep it at:

You can also listen to the music on a page at this site. And since the announcement (which I think was only yesterday) they have had over 3000 signitures.

Radio 4 also has a Message Board on the subject which is getting lots of comments:

www.bbc.co.uk

Please sign. Mornings just won't be the same without it...

And here is some BBC info on the subject:

"...played daily for 33 years at 0530, the five-minute medley of English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish tunes will be replaced by a news bulletin.

One listener, writing on the station's internet messageboard, claimed to have burst into tears upon hearing the news.

Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer had predicted a protest but believed its replacement would suit the audience.

The theme includes Danny Boy, What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?, Scotland the Brave, Rule Britannia, Men of Harlech, Greensleeves, Londonderry Air and Early One Morning...."

Great News! That Bobby Shaftoe stuff drove me batty to such an extent that I listen to the World Service at 0530.

Sorry, Mate, it takes all types.....

Split

Perhaps someone should start a www.getridoftheradio4theme.co.uk website :)

As I never surface at that ungodly hour, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Doesn't listening to the same music every day drive you crazy? They would have to play a bit of Moterhead every morning to get me going.

Bigbusiness said:
Perhaps someone should start a www.getridoftheradio4theme.co.uk website :)

As I never surface at that ungodly hour, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Doesn't listening to the same music every day drive you crazy? They would have to play a bit of Moterhead every morning to get me going.

Lucky you! I used to tune into BBC4 news at 0500 (0600 CET) which is really World Service news at that hour and then, at the end, have to suffer the above mentioned medley of cheerful UK classics. Brrrrr!

SAVE THE RADIO 4 THEME UPDATE:

As the lone voice of enthusiasm on this thread (and I've only just realised there were replies to my original posting - thanks, guys, at least you were interested enough to write) here is an update.

The petition has now been signed by 17000 people. If you wish to sign it, go to:

And here's some current info (from the campaign newsletter):

UK Theme Release Information - 27th March 2006
Released on MONDAY, 27th MARCH as part of the `Save The Radio 4 Theme' campaign.

PROCEEDS GO TO THE LIGHT MUSIC SOCIETY & LIBRARY

The campaign's specially commissioned CD single of the 'Radio 4 UK Theme' plus 'Sailing By' was recorded on Friday 17th February by a Grammy Award-winning production team at Henry Wood Hall, London – performed by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia under Gavin Sutherland.

THE SIX-POINT CAMPAIGN PLAN
...YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SAVE THE THEME!

1. The single is released on MONDAY 27th MARCH (both online and in the shops)
2. All 17,000 petition signatories, amongst others, buy it (£1.99 in the shops/online - 78p per track to download)
3. The single hits the music charts (these days half that number would do it, and this time of year 17,000 would go top ten, if not higher)
4. Fresh publicity is thus generated, recruiting more supporters to the campaign.
5. Maximum pressure is exerted on Radio 4 controller Mark Damazer by raising the campaign's media profile to new heights - they thought we'd go away. Ha!

...If Mark Damazer does axe the UK Theme after all our best efforts, then perhaps he and his successors will at least think twice next time they have a great British cultural icon in their sights... and at least your opinion will have been heard loud and clear!

Beach Runner said:
SAVE THE RADIO 4 THEME UPDATE:

As the lone voice of enthusiasm on this thread (and I've only just realised there were replies to my original posting - thanks, guys, at least you were interested enough to write) here is an update.

17,000! I won't sign it but such enthusiasm deserves success. I'll wish you luck and tune into the World Service.

Split