trade volume analysis

fundjunkie

56 0
Hi,
When looking at volume statistics for a day's trading is it possible to find out the ratio of buyers to sellers - admittedly the price is indicative of this? Also, is it possible to see who bought the shares,i.e many buyers or a few big hits.

Thanx,
D

TBS

385 0
The problem you have with trying to name the buyers is that they can do a very good job of covering their tracks by trading through more than one broker, splitting the orders, trading as a swap etc....

However, if someone buys a sizeable chunk of a UK stock - or already owns a chunk and is adding to it (I think the notification level is 3% and every 1% thereafter), they may well reach RNS 'proportions' where a declaration has to be made as to who the buyer is.

If you want to be able to check RNS announcements for indiviudaul UK stocks try:

http://www.uk-wire.com

If you are talking about US stocks, then someone else will have to advise.

rog1111

Established member
673 10
fundjunkie said:
Hi,
When looking at volume statistics for a day's trading is it possible to find out the ratio of buyers to sellers - admittedly the price is indicative of this? Also, is it possible to see who bought the shares,i.e many buyers or a few big hits.
Thanx,
D

fundjunkie

You could collect the volume at the bid and ask respectively using your broker's API & Excel. Anything in the middle you'll have to apply some guesswork. I don't know if there are any sites offering this astrikos.com used to....

Roger

rog1111

Established member
673 10
Just for interest and FWIW, I had a look at the Nasdaq eminis (nq m4, using eSignal & Excel) today Friday 2nd April, for the last 2 hours or so of trading. For the first hour that I watched, up moves were accompanied by more trade volume at the ask than at the bid, and vice versa for down moves. However, during the last hour it struggled up 8 or so points on a net volume at the BID of approx 2500 contracts. Conventional logic might (stress might !) suggest that this shouldn't happen.

Just an observation - I'll have a better look next week.

rog1111

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock