Trade to Win or Something Else?

des44 said:
?????
I was referring to your apparent rudeness, not to the different abilities and levels of success of traders. How you started off your post to Socrates was far from forum etiquette---in my humble opinion.

d-

Bertie sets the standard for etiquette. At about ground level. Temp's post was a model of restraint by comparison.

Originally Posted by Socrates
And I have not finished with you Jimbo, by any means.

...indeed-

ground level though is probably too kind, always assuming of course that there is not better to be found beneath this somewhat arbitrary level given the diversification of the earth's species.

temptrader said:
dess44,

I don't really want to reply to you but here goes:

1) it's not fair that certain people are better at trading than others

2) it's not fair that only a very small percentage of the population can ever make it - regardless of how hard they work for it

3) it's not fair that no matter if you had a great mentor overseeing you, you still won't be able to make it if you don't have it in you

4) it's not fair that there are hundreds upon hundreds of scam merchants out there who would brutally exploit the naiveity of people who think that this is an easy game and that there is easy money to be made

I respect what Skimbleshanks says, and am beginning to see where Socrates is coming from.
"not fair" - that's emotional.

Do you thing the market cares about what's fair or not fair as far as as you are concerned. ?

It may seem hash, but when you understand what is really meant by a market, then you will stop using phrases such as "fair" and "unfair" and take full responsibilty for your actions and their consequences.

Charlton

Charlton,

That was my point precisely, but you failed to read between the lines.

Nature has no concept of fair - ask any biologist. Nor has the market, it just is.

There are loads of people who takes TOTAL responsibility for their actions and their consequences, yet they still lose all the time, it may be a necessary condition for success but it is not SUFFICIENT. Socrates once said something along the lines of "we are talking about the naturally gifted. . . ".

his purpleness said:
It's ridiculous.

Trading is about competing, and at the highest level, competing fiercely and not about sharing or nannying at all.

None of this is a creche..or a kindergarten...or a babysitting group.

Having said that, newbies are newbies because they are newbies.

We all have to start somewhere.

And this site provides an interesting venue for open discussion, and a valuable resource for beginners and even the more advanced.

However, not all discussion is suitable for public dissemination.

This is because battle hardened traders acquire edges.....hard earned edges that need and have to be protected.

It is therefore fatuous to expect anything other than mainstream to be discussed on what is essentially a public board.

In that respect, the site fulfils a useful function, and a great resource for anyone starting out and for others who have already left their eggshells and are either fluttering their wings or flown the first few yards.

But as a consequence of natural self interest among the most capable, the most knowledgeable and the most experienced there are limits. Everybody else is free to opinionate about whatever they like, be it right or wrong.

That these limits serve to wind up some people is regrettable, but unavoidable.

And finally, the site is free for the use of members and visitors.

That the site derives revenue one way or the other is immaterial.

You know, Socco, the more the read you, the more I agree and understand you. That was a genuine compliment in case you missed it by the way, and I rarely ever give out compliments, even in ordinary working life.

des44 said:
?????
I was referring to your apparent rudeness, not to the different abilities and levels of success of traders. How you started off your post to Socrates was far from forum etiquette---in my humble opinion.

d-

If you haven't worked it out already, I was goading you, des44.

his purpleness said:
Happy, successful and satisfied people do not bother to engage in nit picking of this sort, nor do they engage in resentment against achievement, they just get on with what they've got as every day presents a wonderful array of opportunities to be seized by just pressing buttons, the right ones....consistently....repetiively...relentlessly....

yes, that's terribly true, but alas, there aren't many that are successful due to reasons stipulated above. The general population aren't meant to succeed, I am afraid that's nature's way.

You say that you admire Einstein, strange thing is I know a lot about him and will be shortly studying his works. He had an interesting life, but someone of his calibre comes once every century at most.

Last edited:
temptrader said:
You know, Socco, the more the read you, the more I agree and understand you. That was a genuine compliment in case you missed it by the way, and I rarely ever give out compliments, even in ordinary working life.

If you haven't worked it out already, I was goading you, des44.

yes, that's terribly true, but alas, there aren't many that are successful due to reasons stipulated above. The general population aren't meant to succeed, I am afraid that's nature's way.

You say that you admire Einstein, strange thing is I know a lot about him and will be shortly studying his works. He had an interesting life, but someone of his calibre comes once every century at most.

Try reading 3k posts plus as I have of purple prose and see what you think. - I think I need a sick bag

bizzarrdi said:
Try reading 3k posts plus as I have of purple prose and see what you think. - I think I need a sick bag
In six days that you have been a member of this website you have read 3000 posts ?

That makes it 500 posts read every 24 hours.

:LOL:

well, there is an awful lot of repetition in there, and bitching it must be said - they can be skipped pretty easily

bizzarrdi said:
well, there is an awful lot of repetition in there, and bitching it must be said - they can be skipped pretty easily
:LOL: You need to get out more, much more than you are currently getting out.:LOL:

There he goes again . .

SOCRATES: Don't you just love him? :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

SOCRATES said:
:LOL: You need to get out more, much more than you are currently getting out.:LOL:
You probably also need to join a gym, and get into shape and change your wardrobe, and get some fresh air, and perhaps even meet some naughty girls looking for fun...all these things...being a couch potato and sulking is not going to get you anywhere, either in trading or in life itself ...is it eh?:LOL:

Perhaps even join a Salsa dancing class....that would get you to move and have some fun while you are at it:LOL:

his purpleness said:
You probably also need to join a gym, and get into shape and change your wardrobe, and get some fresh air, and perhaps even meet some naughty girls looking for fun...all these things...being a couch potato and sulking is not going to get you anywhere, either in trading or in life itself ...is it eh?:LOL:

Perhaps even join a Salsa dancing class....that would get you to move and have some fun while you are at it:LOL:

Socrates, dear boy, are you not by any chance talking about yourself there?

I admit it, I'm young, but I have to tell you I'm in great shape, I'm also one of those few members of the population who can eat what he likes and still not get fat :cool:

temptrader said:
Socrates, dear boy, are you not by any chance talking about yourself there?

I admit it, I'm young, but I have to tell you I'm in great shape, I'm also one of those few members of the population who can eat what he likes and still not get fat :cool:
No I am not. This sound advice offered to fatboy, not you.

temptrader said:
Charlton,

That was my point precisely, but you failed to read between the lines.

Nature has no concept of fair - ask any biologist. Nor has the market, it just is.

There are loads of people who takes TOTAL responsibility for their actions and their consequences, yet they still lose all the time, it may be a necessary condition for success but it is not SUFFICIENT. Socrates once said something along the lines of "we are talking about the naturally gifted. . . ".

Perhaps traders or people who come to the market need to work really hard at developing (reprogramming) a collection of suitable attributes to include always responsibility,even for inaction.

Being responsible is no bad thing, even if you are tagged irresponsible its up to each to be aware and check maybe, the aspect in question is best considering the circumstance ,acceptance pops up, with options.

The will to be able to choose the opposite despite gasps from outsiders is a strength? (i'd say yes as people generally seek reasurrance from those with same opinions to feel secure? well maybe not strength but a more suitable view based on we are all individuals then why not go with our own individual view? ). Its o.k because you accept responsibilty for your decisions.

Thinking on it, we come to the markets perhaps with a typical neurosis sustained in our lives to date or indeed a collection of, typically having a label of a psychosis, its our task maybe to open up to ourselves ,and adopt or install , or programme a neurosis or a collection of to develop a psychosis of behavior/ specifically tailored to the market place, and we perhaps need (or maybe its bloody handy) to perceive and understand that which is in itself , that nature of or the function of the entity, us and It.

errr anyone?

his purpleness said:
No I am not. This sound advice offered to fatboy, not you.

if that is the case, then pray tell how you managed to work out that bizzarrdi is:

1) fat? when we have no photo of him?
2) hetrosexual? when he has not in anyway stated his sexual preferences, be it male, female, young adults and/or children, members of the royal family, inanimate objects etc . . .
3) lacking fashion sense? I don't know what his wardrobe looks like, do you?
4) does not engage in Salsa dancing already?

as you can see this is all rather pressumptous of you?

Oh, and in case you missed it:

There he goes again . .

SOCRATES: Don't you just love him?:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

was referring to YOU, and not bizzarrdi

Last edited:
temptrader said:
if that is the case, then pray tell how you managed to work out that bizzarrdi is:

1) fat? when we have no photo of him?
2) hetrosexual? when he has not in anyway stated his sexual preferences, be it male, female, young adults and/or children, members of the royal family, inanimate objects etc . . .
3) lacking fashion sense? I don't know what his wardrobe looks like, do you?
4) does not engage in Salsa dancing already?

as you can see this is all rather pressumptous of you?

Oh, and in case you missed it:

was referring to YOU, and not bizzarrdi
Well, it is obvious isn't it ?. It may be denied categorically, but it is as obvious as obvious can be, that's all.

I will tell you a little anecdote.

Years ago, in the middle of a seminar in which I was a speaker, there was a member of the audience who kept interrupting with silly questions. I answered all of them until I got fed up with it.

I then posed a question in the form of a puzzle to the class (not related to trading by the way) in which they had to work out the answer for themselves.

The time allotted to carry out this task was three minutes.

When the three minutes were up, each one was invited to submit his answer.

Coincidentally all the answers given were incorrect.......except that I left the persistent questioner for the last....he was very proud and very pleased to give a perfect answer.

Except....that he had cheated.

He had cheated because after 30 seconds had elapsed he got up...and walked over to have a look out of the window, whilst everyone else was grafting at solving the problem.

He...knew the answer in advance...

How did I know this and was able to prove it ?

Simple :~ As he already knew the answer in advance, he did not have the patience to sit it out and pretend. He gave himself away by acting the way he did.

That stopped him from interrupting with nonsense from then on.

All of these things are obvious.

The markets are the same, obvious. Everything in them is obvious. Anyone who is not able to recognise the significance of the obvious should not be trading or even thinking of trading.

That is why I have arrived at the conclusion that traders are born, and not made.

SOCRATES said:

That is why I have arrived at the conclusion that traders are born, and not made.

Newton, Maxwell, Einstein . . . were born that way and not made that way. In this century we have Witten. However having talent is of no use if you don't get to use it. A E Houseman went through a crappy job at the patent office like Einstein before he took up his professorship in his thirties.

However I think trading is worse, because you got to go through the pain, tedium, financial hardship etc . . unless you're very to get your foot in the door careerwise. I remember the mathematician Micheal Atiyah once saying in an interview that A levels were when he had to work the hardest, it was relatively easy after that.

SOCRATES said:
Well, it is obvious isn't it ?.

A hypothesis which unfortunately renders T2W redundant.

Il faut cultiver notre jardin.

:cheesy:

rols said:
A hypothesis which unfortunately renders T2W redundant.

Il faut cultiver notre jardin.

:cheesy:
Oui...je sais...quand meme c'est dificil de ne pas foutre une clacque de temps en temps.:cheesy: