thus and TWT...

both up...

There we go..nice to see them both bouncing up at the same time...twt up +12.25 (9.6%) 139.5... thus +8 (11.6%) to 77

both charts looking bullish...both bouncing up after retracement so no retracing at these levels I'd say...they look like safe bets for tomorrow...

(no financial advice intended)

rizgar

up after retracement...

After quite a pull back both started rebouncing...

Thus was up today +4.5 (6.6%) to 72.5 while Oftel set deadlines for British Telecommunications PLC to conclude
negotiations with Thus PLC and Energis PLC on connection to BT's network for the provision of high-speed information services and in relation to DSL interconnection products.

TWT also gained +14 (10.9%) to 142.75...

Both still worth watching...

Riz

TWT and the BBC have some sort of deal coming off, i can't remember where i heard, i'll try and find it. It was something to do with the BBCs digital service.
I bought back in but because of Gordons 30 day rule unless i sell before april 6 i will be paying tax although i have a real loss, so it better move quick...150 to 160 will do.
Steve

hehehe.....

I'd not thought about that side, Steve...so we need to hurry up :)

What's this BBC issue then?

Riz

Got my facts a little muddled Riz...here is the actual text.

RNS Number:8879Z
Telewest Communications PLC
5 March 2001

Telewest sits-up to screen commerce content champion

Telewest Communications, the leading broadband communications group, is
going into partnership with sit-up Ltd, in a deal that creates a new force
in TV home shopping. The two groups are to combine their home shopping
channels - Screenshop and bid-up.tv - and will look to launch new channels
and aggregate further screen commerce content.

Telewest is to inject #14.8 million cash into sit-up, which was founded last
year by ONdigital pioneers Ashley Faull and John Egan. In return, sit-up
will buy Screenshop from Flextech, the content arm of Telewest, for #10
million. Telewest will have a 38 per cent stake in the enlarged sit-up
business.

The two existing channels offer t-commerce across a range of platforms,
which will now include long-term carriage for bid-up.tv on Telewest's Active
Digital platform. There are clear opportunities for the two channels to
enjoy enhanced combined revenue streams as well as sharing purchasing and
distribution costs.

sit-up's strong management team have created a t-commerce model that has
proven successful after less than six months on air. bid-up.tv is a live
shopping channel that provides 112 entertaining auctions every day, selling
everything from jewellery to wine to memorabilia such as Muhammed Ali's
boxing shorts. Viewers can call or web-surfers can visit http://www.bid-up.tv to
bid and participate with ease in the excitement of a live auction.

The channel complements Screenshop, which is a 24-hour infomercial channel
selling a wide range of beauty, home and fitness products. The cross
promotional opportunities are significant, not just between the two shopping
channels but also from Flextech's wider portfolio of pay-tv services and
websites.

Mark Luiz, chief executive of Flextech, the content division of Telewest,
commented:

'Flextech has been a pioneer of and long-term believer in the power of
interactive TV and screen commerce. This deal is a further example of our
strategy to create value through forging partnerships with other well-
managed, entrepreneurial businesses. It also harnesses our combination of
contentskills and the strength of the Telewest platform.'

John Egan, joint managing director of sit-up, added:

'We are thrilled by this deal with Telewest, which has a creative and
vibrant culture, and a great digital cable platform. Sharing our expertise
and respective strengths in screen commerce is the best way to ensure a
strong and profitable future. Our team is looking forward to working with
Screenshop, leading the development of interactive video content in the UK.'

For further information, please contact:

For Telewest:

John Murray 020 7299 5888
Director of policy and communications

Sarah Tovey 020 7404 5959 / [email protected]
Brunswick

For sit-up:
Ashley Faull 020 8600 9717 / [email protected]
Joint managing director, sit-up

Photographyis available on request

Notes to Editors

Telewest :)

Telewest Communications, the broadband communications and media group,
currently provides multi-channel television, telephone and internet services
to 1.7 million UK households, and voice and data telecommunications services
to over 60,000 business customers. Its content division, Flextech, is the
biggest provider of basic channels to the UK pay-tv market and is the BBC's
partner in UKTV, which has a portfolio of pay-tv channels based on the
corporation's programming, including UK Gold. :)

Screenshop is Flextech Television's UK-based home shopping service selling
products 24 hours a day, 365 days a year on Sky Digital channel 645 and
online at http://www. screenshop.co.uk.

sit-up Ltd

sit-up Ltd is the UK's first interactive video content provider, set up to
create and exploit 'sit-up' entertainment opportunities in the convergence
of digital TV and Internet. Launched in 1999 by Ashley Faull and John Egan
(two founding board members of ONdigital), sit-up is wholly focused on the
exciting opportunities surrounding the provision of interactive video
content for the next generation of broadcasting.

bid-up.tv is the first sit-up channel and the world's first interactive
auction channel. Viewers and surfers can participate in live instant
auctions every day from 10am to midnight on Sky Digital channel 647, in
Telewest Active Digital's walled garden, on BTopenworld and at http://www.bid-
up.tv.

END

Steve

Thanks Steve..got some more this morning...this baby is being really good to me... :)

Riz

TWT gained 9 (6.6%) to 146 as NTL (NLI) posted pleasing quarterly earnings of £65m...

Riz

more positive news...

Doom and gloom in the market which is locked to the Fed's rate cuts decison on Tueasday...no doubt that it's not a good time to tip any shares...still that doesn't mean we won't be watching certain shares if we're going to remain in the market...only any positive comments should be taken together with the very sensitive general sentiment that can push the shares sharply either way next week...

TWT results are due to be announced next week...

It is expected to confirm that it has hit its target of signing up 500,000 subscribers to its digital service...

TWT is also expected to announce a £2.2bn debt restructuring to reassure investors about its financial position and give it scope for continued expansion...

And finally Morgan Stanley Dean Witter reiterated his BUY advice on TWT at 126.5p, advising clients there "is good money to be made in cable stocks".

So it's still worth to keep watching TWT...

Riz

I'm definitely watching this on Monday. Would have bought Friday but commonsense ( weak knees ) prevailed. Possible US rates cut and any other good news could cause a short term bounce.
Cut this from the telegraph :-

Sunday 18 March 2001

Telewest pulls off £2bn refinancing
By Neil Bennett

TELEWEST, the cable operator, is poised to announce a £2.2bn debt restructuring that is expected to reassure investors about its financial position and give it scope for continued expansion.
The group is believed to have completed a refinancing round, using a syndicate of blue chip banks. The refinancing has rolled together the debts of Telewest and Flextech, which merged last year, and provided a further £300m for future expansion.

The deal will be seen as a coup for Adam Singer, Telewest's chief executive, and particularly for Charles
Burdick, the finance director. City observers expressed surprise that Telewest was able to pull off such a large refinancing when the telecoms shares have been falling so sharply and market sentiment has turned against the industry.

Bankers say the refinancing has been led by an array of blue chip North American banks, including CIBC, the Bank of New York, Chase, and Toronto Dominion. The rate is said to be 2 percentage points over Libor, which is thought to be extremely competitive in current market conditions and falling liquidity.

Telewest may announce the refinancing at its results next week, when it is also expected to confirm that

it has hit its target of signing up 500,000 subscribers to its digital service.

21 February 2001: UPC rethinks Telewest deal
20 February 2001: Thieves disrupt Telewest's online services
11 December 2000: Telewest drops out of the fast net race
28 January 2000: Telewest confirms deal with Flextech

Steve

A case of severe MM manipulation, or is TWT really TeleGoneWest. I think i'll stick to solid stock like THUS. Hehe
Steve

Both of them bemused me today...i don't think any type of analysis can indicate which way these will go.
I'd give my left arm to be a fly on the MMs wall.
Steve

Cable telecoms company Telewest Communications (TWT - news) pumped up from its successful £2.25bn debt refinancing syndicated loan agreement said today it had hit its digital sales target of 500,000. Earnings before interest, tax and amortisation climbed 11% to £247m, but pretax losses widened 32% to £701m, in what the company described as a tough year. But negative telecoms sentiment sent its shares down 13.75 to 104.25...typical example of by on the rumours sell on the news...the rumours of twt's hitting digital sales target and securing cash pushed the price higher the news itself pushed it lower however...

Kleinwort Wasserstein reiterated its "buy" recommendation at 118 and its price target of 238...

Riz

Last edited:
From Observer:

Telewest upturn

Cable operator Telewest was one of the real roller-coaster stories of the mad market last week. After tumbling 12 per cent on Thursday, the shares regained all their losses on Friday as investors finally warmed to the company's full-year results after all.

Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) rose 11 per cent to £247m. Telewest also reached its digital sales target of 500,000 subscribers and seems to have allayed fears about the cost of its digital roll-out plans.

Broker Robertson Steph-ens, for one, is a fan. It recommends the shares as a buy and has set a price target of 200p against 117.5p now.

Last edited:
From Scotland on Sunday:

Cable TV in real need of unravelling

Jon Rees

YOU need the faith of a missionary to believe in cable television in Britain. It has been the coming thing for over a decade, yet relatively few viewers have fallen for its charms.

Adam Singer, Telewest chief executive, the UK’s second biggest cable company, called cable technology the "new electricity" when he unveiled full-year results last week. But the industry has major problems and is dogged by monumental debts. Telewest owes £3.6bn, while its losses rose to more than £700m in 2000, up from £530m last year. The good news, of sorts, is that it has just secured a £2.25bn loan.

Cable has boiled itself down from about 20 companies to two - Telewest and NTL. The industry was hamstrung in its infancy by government policy, which offered only small franchises to each company to foster competition. The consolidation has been so demanding that the industry has had little energy left to tackle vital marketing and customer service problems.

Yet cable’s most sensible merger is the one that has not taken place. If Telewest and NTL could get together they could provide serious competition to BSkyB for television and BT for telephony. But high debt, plus the complexity of their shareholder base, has prevented this from happening.

The cable industry has long cultivated the aura of being the leading-edge technology that could provide more than its rivals and Singer’s "new electricity" is just the latest spin on this undelivered promise. He was referring to cable’s ability to deliver, via its broadband capacity, constant internet access, greater interactivity, video-on-demand and multi-channel TV.

"To be a great business we must be about more than delivering telephone and video," he says. "The pay-TV market is an irrelevancy to the adoption of broadband. Satellite is a one-trick pony. We’re the all-singing, all-dancing circus."

So far, it is a circus with few customers. Telewest has signed up 16,500 subscribers to its hi-speed internet service and says it is treading carefully to iron out any technical problems.

However, compared to its television rivals, cable remains an also-ran. It was late rolling out its digital television service and is far behind satellite in terms of digital television subscribers. Cable has only 1.1 million digital subscribers, Sky Digital has 4.7 million.

Even when cable companies do sign up subscribers they lose too many of them. Last year over a quarter who signed up to Telewest ditched the service. In comparison, BSkyB’s ‘churn’ rate is less than 10%.

"The cable companies will be strong competitors because of their technical potential and their cheap phone offers but only when they get their customer-service act together," says one BSkyB executive.

Telewest had a terrible summer last year when its supply of set-top boxes dried up, forcing a "pause in Telewest’s marketing" and its share price was clobbered. "I accept our marketing skills have not been great," says Singer. "But we’ve had to dig up 130,000kms of road to lay cable and fight each other for share at the same time."

Barclay Knapp, NTL’s chief executive, also accepts that some of NTL’s customers have had a thin time of it.

Telewest put a brave face on its figures, but claimed it had passed through "that difficult initial stage" of moving from analogue to digital. It hit its target of 500,000 digital sales and saw strong growth in residential telephony and business services.

Singer and Knapp now believe that cable is at last on course.