Thoughts on BBRY?

PP_024

Hi,
I am starting out as a trader and I would like your opinion on BBRY(BlackBerry). I made good gains on Friday prior to learning about the CEO dumping all his shares. I also understand how Android is becoming a real threat(or it already is) to the BB platform and network.
Thanks for the replies.

ive had BB's since the early days as I worked for a US company at the time (Amex) .....I still have one as a personal phone (out of comfort probably) but long ago was moved to I-phone technology with my current global blue chip company

so enough said above re corporate trends.....and in truth the BB now is slow and clumsy for my personal side so I 'm getting out of my personal BB contract as soon as I can

shame .......hope the new platform works but they have to sustain it against frightening opposition

N

RIMM depended totally on corporate sales based upon the inititally sound basis of a solid, traditional design, bespoke encryption and professional functionality. And they didn't budge from that stance while iOS and Android increasingly eclipsed them as users expectations of what a smartphone could be, and more importantly should be increased exponentially.

Any company either so blind to technological advances or so arrogant with respect to their current market position deserves to fall by the wayside.

BB10 is radically new for Blackberry, but not for their user base. The bottleneck of routing data via in-house servers showed last year on at least two occassions that what was initially a security benefit had become an opertational risk.

Nokia is failing for quite different reasons, but failing it is. As will handsets based on Windows.

There is room for new technology in the smartphone market, but not in terms of beating the current two major players. The technology needs to come in the form of wearable technology, cloud based solutions and biometric accessories.

It is unlikely Blackberry or Nokia will be able to address this huge market for the simple reason their corporate ethos will not allow them to recognise the obvious. To dump what thery've got and has been their one trick pony for so long and start producing what the customers want.

RIMM depended totally on corporate sales based upon the inititally sound basis of a solid, traditional design, bespoke encryption and professional functionality. And they didn't budge from that stance while iOS and Android increasingly eclipsed them as users expectations of what a smartphone could be, and more importantly should be increased exponentially.

Any company either so blind to technological advances or so arrogant with respect to their current market position deserves to fall by the wayside.

BB10 is radically new for Blackberry, but not for their user base. The bottleneck of routing data via in-house servers showed last year on at least two occassions that what was initially a security benefit had become an opertational risk.

Nokia is failing for quite different reasons, but failing it is. As will handsets based on Windows.

There is room for new technology in the smartphone market, but not in terms of beating the current two major players. The technology needs to come in the form of wearable technology, cloud based solutions and biometric accessories.

It is unlikely Blackberry or Nokia will be able to address this huge market for the simple reason their corporate ethos will not allow them to recognise the obvious. To dump what thery've got and has been their one trick pony for so long and start producing what the customers want.

^^I agree. I read somewhere that orders for their new phone fell short of expectations. Right now, I can only say the future is bleak for RIM unless they are bought out by a bigger company who can help finance their operations and keep their customers. In what ways do you find BB customers at a disadvantage Predicabo?

Last edited:
Blackberry liked by IT but the role of IT is changing so perhaps of less relevance than it used to be.

Relevant tech trends -> consumerisation of IT and BYOD

So the real question is do consumers want Blackberries?

I think not but there will be enough business for RIM, like Nokia, to keep going and keep the debate alive for a while yet.