Thought For The Day

Yes, I agree jpwone. I went to a nasty school full of pikies and thugs. I was picked on and bullied. It is also next to impossible to resist it. If you struggled or fought back, the much bigger bully, use to fighting would just use it as an excuse to be ultra violent and smash the living sh!t out of you.

I hear what your saying chump about bullies being victims etc... that they need victims but a victim doesnt 'need' a bully. However I think thats wrong! I'm sure the bully would be quite happy smashing the sh!t out of a telephone booth or vandalising a car... if no victims were available. And... a victim, the sort of person that gets victimised (as in bullied) is the sort of person that will create problems in his life even if problems dont exist. e.g. failing in relatinships, being depressed, and losing in the stock market! A victim needs to be bullied by something, and so will create something to bully him even when the orginal bully goes. The victim needs to be a victim and the bully needs to be a bully. They can still be bullies and victims with no one else around.

The best thing I discovered is: Change your mind and you change your world. Beliefs are what fuels our reality.

Don't get tied up in the storyline too literally...the conceptual issues hold although next time I select a story I might feel a need to append a caveat along the lines of ...don't try this at home...ultimately a victim is a victim because they choose that emotion..it isn't something anyone can impose on you..by this I separate out the physical event from the way you let it impact on you...you always have choices..I could have added the caveat..if you can see them..

Last edited:
Episode 2 - what is really happening here

Back by absolutely no public demand whatsoever I give you another one to think about..

On Tuesday of this week ,terms were finally agreed and a contract duly signed.

On Weds contact was made and a question posed "could the contract be cancelled ?".

An immediate reply was given that the contract could indeed be cancelled.

On Thursday a letter was drafted and despatched confirming cancellation of the contract.

Later on Thursday contact was made again posing the question "could the contract proceed".

An immediate reply was given that there were no terms on which the contract could now proceed and no explanation was proffered for that statement.

What is happening here ? A clue , there are at least two central issues here which are not unconnected and they will be covered at some point on another thread on the BB under "no indicators"

and we are ? and we are using this to ? which in turn enables us to retain ?

above I asked the question "and we are?"

and on the no indicator thread which I have to say is lagging behind a little at this stage we get the answer

" anticipating what is going to happen next"

come on guys I know this is only plain English and not particularly fascinating, but surely some enlightened ones out there can take a stab..

by the way please see the respective posting dates/times and you will note I have been predicting what happens next ;) ...these backwater threads rarely visited are ideal for a little reflective thought

a further question who thinks this process is only about trading ?

and "You cannot have all of it all of the time" on no indicators this passed without even one comment which in turn tells me just how many people have actually got a clue about what the process is that is under discussion. The discussion will come back to this inevitably.

Groan, when will people understand the process under discussion is not about mystical drug induced or otherwise induced reality / psychic phenomena / up your jacksie chasing searches for personality based on external transformation suggested by someone else. In fact it is the complete opposite..zero susceptibility...min sympathy..max empathy..max acceptance..max control..and on that note I will leave it with you to think about.

Last edited:
"I have been predicting what happens next "..but of course I wasn't ..I was doing something else which is called empathising..

I've heard this process described as being to do with our sub conscious .If by this it is meant to suggest it exists in the sub conscious I have to disagree. That is a mechanical description used by people who don't understand the process. It can be used to help other people explore things they might have put away in their sub conscious. It can be self -used to visualise.

I have heard it mentioned it is summoned like pressing a button , that it can be used like some 'split' personality. Perhaps it can ,but frankly I think that is unhealthy and to some degree self defeating .Again, in my experience it is always present. It is always conscious.

For anyone who is interested here is a link that gives you a little more information . I don't agree with everything on the link,but it is informative.

Just to be playful...this is very much about sensitivity.LOL..and I know this is not what I display most of the time ;) but things are not always what they seem

http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=empat...aterloo.ca/Articles/Pages/Empathy.html&adurl=

Last edited:
Even when we are not privvy to the new 'story' it is possible even from a minimum of new data to use empathy to try to understand the fuller story.. the bird story is very clear because it is mapped readily ..sometimes empathy fails to work if the set of data can not be simulated perhaps because it is too deficient to work from in relation to the target ,or simply because it cannot be simulated to the viewers experience.

'Holding the attitude' can be found in The Reminiscences of a Stock Operator where the "Old Man" in response to questioning consistently replies in the same way with the retort that "it's a bull market". I suspect Warren Buffet will be an adept at this. This may be encapsulated in the comments above summed up by the wording "max control". Very common to certain types of people and "curiously as little to do with money". Holding your position is another way to think of it. Not being shaken out is yet another way to think of it. Ignoring what empathetic reasoning tells you is fault data on the map is another way to think of it.

Empathy is an adaptive process..views formed are moulded and changed in relation to new data sets..a fixed view is not desirerable because it implies a closed mind and a closed mind does not acknowledge new data and is therefore non adaptive.

Last edited:
So as a process Empathy is interrogative, by this I mean question ,response, test simulation, repeat ad infinitum. In theory it is endless . In practice it can be constrained to a set goal. By that I mean that in theory there will always be more questions to ask to complete the mapping process,but in practice it will be subsumed to reveal a piece of the map at a time that forms the current target.

For example, some people suddenly know when to take a trade ,but don't know why. The why is that they have been empathising with their target picking up piece by small piece another part of the jigsaw puzzle until they have arrived at a point where ping they have assembled enough pieces to see the map in front of them 'clearly'. They have assimulated the target with their experience and this presses the confidence button that over rides their fear of the uncertain.

As you can probably see this also explains why it is hard to empathise with 'distant' targets.By that I mean targets which have not yet supplied sufficient data for simulation.

Lunch over back to work.

"your a very interesting person chump"

It's a bull market ;)

Glad to see the old man from stock operator is still alive and well. He's just 18yrs old and now called Wayne.
I've seen him interviewed 3 times recently and he's basically got just one response to make to any question "I'm just going out there to play my game"..get the picture ?

Tea break over back to work

"I mean question ,response, test simulation, repeat ad infinitum"...some people describe this process as considering all angles..in doing this they incrementally add pieces (realisations) to the jigsaw. This is empathy. What do you think Livermore was doing when he put part of his string out into the market "to test reaction" ?..yes that's right ,empathy , simulating and building the map.

Perhaps by now it is clear this is not a mystical journey into the beyond at all. It is an application of sensitivity ,observation and structured questioning why,when,what,how directed with focus at a target. Not rocket science and for the most part something that can be developed by most people. I say "for the most part ", because I think the issue of sensitivity is a limiting factor. If it is not there I am not sure it can be simply conjured up. So if you think you are a crass ,arrogant sob all you can try to do is get in touch with your feminine side. Just don't do it in public ;)

As I mentioned some way above with the question "how many of you think this is just about trading?"..well finally no indicators caught up and acknowledged that indeed this is a process to bring to all your life. In doing this you will have the opportunity to learn more about yourself than you dreamed possible (no exageration). You will find yourself stepping outside the norm of fixed beliefs and looking at your life with more honesty than you ever thought existed. If you can face what you find and not practice avoidance then you will arrive at the state of "acceptance" which I mentioned much further back up the thread. This is where you will start to live the concept of "holding your attitude" and from this you will next arrive at the state of "control"....I can just hear the connotations bubbling over with that word and most of them are incorrect, but when you get there you will understand that for yourself.

It's a journey with no end and the reward will probably not be what you started out expecting. I am not going to say anymore,because something already posted on no indicators is something I agree strongly with..summarised it is this.. .the more you allow someone to do that journey for you the more you will be impoverished by your willingness to take the shortcut.

Over the years I've built and sold businesses which when you pare away the superficial product/service being sold were actually centred on nothing more than making it easy for people to take a shortcut. I call such people facilitators. That is ,their unwillingness to make the effort facilitates me in meeting my goals. Consider this statement and the above in terms of what I posted back up the thread "min sympathy" and what has been posted elsewhere regarding overcoming your humanity. Next time you ask for advice before you summon your own effort you might want to think about that.

So what's the process "no susceptibility (to the shortcut) ,min sympathy,max empathy ,max acceptance ,max control"..now don't say I never tell you everything ;)

There's nothing more I want to do here and nothing more I need here so I'm gone .

"so I'm gone" .

I'm back ;) forgot to leave you with this..I don't rate most trading books very highly,but if you have shown any interest in the above posts then you might also find this particular book stimulating to read...

Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini "Inevitable Illusions :How Mistakes of Reason Rule Our Minds"
ISBN 0-471-15962-X

Fantastic ,made to order, look at the adverts that have appeared at the top of the thread "Stop The Bullying" and then look back up the thread at the Story of the Two Little Boys..you see empathetic reasoning that results in 1+1=3 "Inevitable Illusions"

Last edited:
Comes back to 'the trend is your friend concept'

flea said:
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

- John Maynard Keynes

I don't catch every day of every trend perfectly but I'm getting a pretty good dose.

But I had to creat a program to cut me and my emotions out of the game.

Couldn't agree more

flea said:
"The typical trader will do most anything to avoid creating definition and rules because he does not want to take responsibility for the results of his trading. If he knows exactly what he is going to do and under what conditions, then he would have something by which to measure his performance, thus making himself accountable to himself. This is exactly what most traders don't want to do, preferring instead to keep their relationship with the market somewhat mysterious.

"This creates a real psychological paradox for traders, because the only way to learn how to trade effectively is to make oneself accountable by creating structure: but, with accountability comes responsibility."

Mark Douglas, trader and author: The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes

In the online world I frequently run into people who proclaim that no investment system can possibly work, many of whom won't even look over the free spreadsheet that documents my program. Regarding your point about accountability, I've also noticed they usually refuse my offer to let them set a time table for how long a 'system' must work before they would belive it. Its the same problem, if they define a time, then they rsk being proved wrong.