This Joe Ross bloke

The General

All,

I have heard Joe Ross's name bandied abt quite a bit and am wondering (I have looked at his site) if (as far as any of you know), this bloke has ever made a dime actually trading ?

OK so he's written books, conducts seminars, is interviewed by whatever.

I don't mean to be harsh but @ GBP 1175 for a two day seminar ?

I guess I wanna know what differentiates him from the other peddlers/dream merchants ?

Cheers for any response.

The General.

General,
My understanding is that he has been a trader although there was some discussion over whether he/his family had traded in exactly the way he stated in his literature. I would say this issue as far as I am aware has not been resolved as a truth or otherwise.Personally I think it is irrelevant.

I have read some of his work (most of it actually). Page for page I thought he had something worth saying in the way he approached market analysis and the player. I keep having a flick back through his stuff time to time to refresh my memory.

Whether you want to part with £1175 for his seminar is pretty much a personal choice.

Cheers

When will these snake charm salesmen say 'come to my seminar, it's free, we'll do a hold-your-hand trade using your account, make you £1175 which you can then pay me for being so clever.'?

Chump

Joe Ross is currently promoting his book Trading is a Business. Is this one of the books you've read? Does he say anything worth while? It states in the literature that the material in this book reflects his course content.

DaveG

dglynn,
Joe Ross works have been updated. Mine are fairly old editions and I don't know if the most recent contain new material.

I will try to give you an appreci of my thoughts. I came across Ross quite sometime after I had already scoped out quite a bit of material on the web (reading & discussing). At that point I know from experience some confusion can start to set in.When I read the Ross works it helped me quite a lot to sort out the confusion and throw out a vast amout of 'junk' & misconceptions I had about trading.

I am not sure I would have understood all of what he had to say if I had not already done some previous reading. Reading him after I had already accumulated some info worked well for me.

It's pitched for relative newbies (not your first read) although it might have relevance to those who have been trying to 'win' for a while and can't figure how why they aren't winning. This might stir their thoughts,maybe not.

I would say that since reading him I have seen everything he had to say elsewhere on the web for free. However,his work all insde one cover has it's advantages.

In a nutshell here are the general areas he deals with.

1.You,your psychology,how your psychology may trick you.
2.Trading rules/MM/RM/Trade rules
3.Basics why you lose/why you win
4.Trading patterns/cycles
5.Traders Trick
6.Planning a trade & admin/record keeping
7.Types of orders
8.TA (he's big on price analysis)

That's about it. As I say his recent works may have updated.Yes, Trading is a Business is one of his works that I have read.

Cheers

£1175 buys alot of trading books, much better value. Whatever he's selling, it's not new, nothing is really new in trading.

Ziggy,
It's worth pointing out that we don't all learn in exactly the same way.It depends on how we are 'wired up'.

Books & discussion may get some people where they wish to be re trading. For others they may need to take courses of some description to get to the same place,o r even to build on what they got from books etc.

It's a personal thing to decide on.

Cheers

Chump
I don't disagree, hearing it from the mouth of a horse is very comforting, but no more accurate. The unfortunate thing about this business is that you learn from experience which costs money. There's no way around it.

the general:
I guess I wanna know what differentiates him from the other peddlers/dream merchants ?

The answer is in the question.

...but has anyone been to the seminar?

do they replicate wotz in da books or is there new stuff? If so WHAT?

Hello,

I attended the first Joe Ross seminars in the UK last year (together with other 8 attendees) and the overall feedback was excellent.
I found the seminar very useful and they covered additional material than in his books.
The workshop part helped a lot to understand:
- how to select YOUR market
- how to identify YOUR timeframe
and how to create YOUR trading plan

Maybe you want to check as well the review of the seminars by FTSE Beater (http://www.trade2win.co.uk/reviews/product.php?id=131).

Cheers
Mike

Hey guys !!!

I highly recommend Joe's seminars which I attended after having read several of his books. This was just so amazing stuff that I couldn't get enough to learn about his trading methods.

Later after the seminars I have trained with Joe Ross. Sat right next to him and watched him make incredible trades and lots of money. This guy is just incredible and I certainly understate that.

But he gets up early in the morning to trade before he begins his daily routine of helping others. His main interest seems to be to teach others how to trade successfully and to make money. He certainly has helped me becoming a happy and successful trader. :D

I know that there are lots of people around who claim that they can teach you how to trade successfully but it usually turns out to be a "*** take" (sorry for using the word but it's true).

The markets keep changing and you have to learn to adjust to the changings. Most traders don't do that. They don't change but the markets do so no wonder that they are not successfully. So I recommend Joe's seminars. It's worth every penny!

cheers, Manni

Hey Manni ! I see you a new member and you have just had another thread removed for advertising Joe Ross seminars, is your real name Joe or are you a mate of his? If not how much money are you making and from trading what exactly?

If you want to get a feel for Joe Ross, then why not sign up for his free trading seminar, e-mailled in about 30 monthly parts.
I've recieved three so far, totally free and interesting. Whilst I would not currently pay over £1000 to see him, that opinion might change by the time I get further into his trading manual.

Stephen

To Shoe about Joe Ross

Hi Schoe,

no, I am not a mate of Joe Ross.
You could say I am one of his students. I have met Joe Ross a few times when he is around Europe.

I used to be a rather miserable trader but since I have learned from him, I have become a successful trader. I don't want to praise myself but that's just the way it is.

That's why I really recommended his seminars. He also does private tutorings.

I also met 2 people once who still struggle although they have read a book or visisted the seminar but that is only because they are not disciplined at all. They don't stick to what he teaches.
Some traders think you have to sit all day in front of the computer in order to become a good and wealthy trader and they become desperate as they try to get every possible trade even if they had losses already.

But really, at first you have to get to know yourself and examine yourself before you start trading and you still have to do that when you trade.

Besides I want to enjoy life and buy things from the money I make, so I sometimes do 2 trades a day or just a few during a week and the rest of the time I enjoy life. I also do spreads.

I don't know if it has any value if I tell you how much money I make. It depends on your capital, the seize of your trading account and how much money you need for your living standard in order to call yourself a happy and successful trader.
Some people are happy with let's say $ 250,000 a year, others with more or even less.

Manni

Some people are happy with let's say $ 250,000 a year, others with more or even less.

That's about £140,000 a year. I would think 99% of T2W members would be happy with that. Most would probably scrape by on half of that but it would be a hard life :)

Easy money eh Manni. Spend a few $ on a course, be disciplined and then sit back and enjoy the good life.

Another one of the 'I was a loser until I read your book/took your course' crowd.

Anyway, you ever heard of Gary Smith because he's very well respected. This is what he's got to say about your buddy.

Also do a search on the Elitetrader board and you'll see the amazing coicidence that as soon as a thread comes along on Ross, 3-4 new posters all start singing from the same hymm sheet telling everyone how great he is.

2 boards, same style of gushing praise. Coincidence? Highly unlikely.

From GS.

I first became aware of Joe Ross in the early 1990s as a result of some contributions he made to the Club 3000 newsletter. I had a lot of respect for the guy. And why not? He believed in buying strength and selling weakness. He thought the vendors who purported to pick tops and bottoms were nothing but rip-off artists. He denigrated Gann, Elliot Wave, seasonals, and cycles. This was my kind of trader.

But as the years went by, a lot of negative stuff began surfacing about Joe Ross. His fax service was a disaster, his managed accounts suffered horrible losses, and much of what he said in some of his books didn't jive with the realities of trading real money.

No one was more disappointed (and disbelieving) than me when Bruce Babcock uncovered that Joe had fabricated his trading experiences in order to sell his products. But it wasn't until I read Joe's feature interview in the December 1995 issue of Stocks&Commodities magazine that I really began to have major questions about the guy's credibility.

It was in that interview where he mentioned how much money a trader would have made had they simply gone long a one lot S&P contract from the beginning of January or had they spread a one lot S&P against a one lot NYFE. The figures Joe quoted were way, way off and indicative of someone who didn't even know how much a point move in the S&P and NYFE equated to.
I was blown away. Thinking this must have been a misprint, I spoke with Thom Hartle, the editor of Stocks& Commodities and who was also the interviewer. In reviewing his tape, Thom said Joe was not misquoted.

I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that Bruce was correct in his assessment of Joe Ross. And what a shame. Joe Ross has written some good trading books. Maybe we should just leave it at that. But as Babcock stated in his investigation of Ross, "If Ross is making up his experience, he could do real damage to a careless, trusting student."

Duane Howe is anxious to get this matter of his problems with Joe Ross into the courts. But Joe Ross would never in a million years want his controversy with Babcock and Duane Howe to get that involved. There are other Duane Howes around. Other traders who entrusted their money with Joe Ross because they believed Joe when he said he never had a losing year as a
trader. There's also a former Joe Ross student, a well respected futures broker with a national trading firm. This person would testify that Joe admitted to her that he was indeed the infamous testimonial used by Ken Roberts.

And what about Joe Dinapoli? DiNapoli taught Ross his displaced moving average which Ross then went on to claim as his own. Joe studied under DiNapoli in the mid 80s. Joe Ross would not want to see DiNapoli testifying against him in a court case regarding Ross's trading background.

It's really too bad vendors have to resort to gimmicks to give them name recognition. Ross wrote some good books, he didn't need to fabricate his trading experiences to enhance his name.

As for Duane Howe, yes, he probably should drop his vendetta against Ross. Joe Ross is hardly the only vendor out there who has exaggerated or fabricated his trading experiences. You give your money to someone else to trade futures, even the so-called Market Wizards profiled by Jack Schwager, and you better expect to lose.

Gary Smith

scpope said:
If you want to get a feel for Joe Ross, then why not sign up for his free trading seminar, e-mailled in about 30 monthly parts.
I've recieved three so far, totally free and interesting. Whilst I would not currently pay over £1000 to see him, that opinion might change by the time I get further into his trading manual.

Stephen

Or you can save yourself 30 days and download the whole lot in one go from here: http://www.nqoos.com/joe_ross_.htm

H/

The General said:
All,

I have heard Joe Ross's name bandied abt quite a bit and am wondering (I have looked at his site) if (as far as any of you know), this bloke has ever made a dime actually trading ?

OK so he's written books, conducts seminars, is interviewed by whatever.

I don't mean to be harsh but @ GBP 1175 for a two day seminar ?

Cheers for any response.

The General.
Hi General

As Mheitkoe has said. Have a look at this link: My view hasn't changed :) Seminar review

<hr>
Hi All

I'm not sure about Joe Ross's private life, but from talking to him, my view is that he is a very genuine person who loves to help people.
With regards his trading methods, my trading account is up 66.39% on the start of the calendar year exclusively using his spreads trading method, so I'm happy to vouch for his methods working :cool:

Just my thoughts :)