Think or Swim / Think on Demand

Paulie_5

Has anyone used thinkorswim's 'Think onDemand' ?

It has been briefly mentioned by pmccandless (although he doesn't use it himself) - As I understand, it's a new tool devised by thinkorswim where you can 'replay' the market from any time and trade it exactly as if it were in realtime.

This would be ideal for people like myself who would like to practise their trading strategies on the day's session, but in the evenings.

I've done a google search and tried to find out a bit more from their website and I can't seem to get much info.

You have to fund an account with thinkorswim to use it, which I am more than happy to do. But I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion first.

But most importantly does it replay level II data ? If it replays the orderbook (and you were able to 'replay' and practise trade on a DOM ladder), I would be mightily impressed and probably sign up straight away !

Many thanks

Paulie

Intuhresting. I was wondering what that yellow button in the top right hand corner was.
I won't have time to play with it until the weekend, but I definitely intend to try that. Seriously cool.
As a first report, it right now is not letting me get past 4/10, so it obviously doesn't let you replay right up until the present. Probably has to do with loading and validating all of the data.
Thanks for asking about this. I guess I should pay more attention to the release notes...

If anyone's interested, I managed to dig this up from another forum :

This first link is a quick 5 minute explanation:

Think on Demand

and this explains in much more detail (over an hour long) :

Think on Demand

It looks like a really good tool. It sounds like thinkorswim are still developing it, but it could end up being a very useful tool when it's completed.

Let us know how you get on with it Benton.

Paulie

Based on the lack of responses, I guess thinkorswimmers are too busy trading to bother with posting in forums ! ;)

To answer your questions, YES, thinkorswim OnDemand does replay Level II data. It also replays futures, forex, and the prices of instruments in your onscreen watchlist. Please see the attached screenshot to have a look for yourself.

The screenshot is a playback of the January 28, 1010 market open. On the bottom right chart, you can see the Level II data. This is updating in "real time" as OnDemand replays the market from the date you selected. On the left side, you can see the prices in an S&P 500 watchlist.

in the top left corner, you can see the OnDemand status and control box. The controls are like a VCR/DVD player. You can play in 1x real time or 3x time. Using the "jump to" button, you can jump to any time or date available in the historical data.

You probably already know that thinkorswim has been acquired by TD Ameritrade. Best wishes!

Attachments

• TOS-OnDemand-screenshot.jpg
    TOS-OnDemand-screenshot.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6,186
TOS/Thinkorswim onDemand is a piece of garbage utility part of thinkorswim. Off and on throws exception error. Nowadays new error started popping up and goes in a continous loop "filter dates are sets to the future". Follow the English of the error message and you will know who wrote it. The software is poorly written with shallow knowledge of JAVA programming and consists of many many bugs . The Whole TOS platform is a resource hog with lack of performance and OnDemand is no exception. TOS locks up the whole system memory. I would suggest, go and give a try ninjatrader or sierra chart replay utility. You will enjoy and never open the onDemand again. Both ninja/sierra runs smoothly without any hiccup and I can guarantee, you will have a great trading practice offline. I have an active funded account with TD , however I hate to open ondemand, rather practice my trading ideas on sierra chart replay. Sometimes on Ninja. you can replay practice with historical data free on both platforms though. At the end I like to tell you, setting up charts in ninjatrader and Sierra is not as easy as TOS. But once you get down, you will enjoy the speed and flexibilty. YOU WILL NEVER GET ANY RESPONSE BACK FROM thinkorswim support, however ninja or sierra are very prompt in responding.