Things that are older than barjon

new_trader

Legendary member
To celebrate barjon’s birthday (and make him feel better about being an old fart) I made a list of useful things most people use almost every day that, believe it or not, are older than barjon (born circa 1940)!

Happy Birthday barjon.:clap:(y)

Electricity
Thales of Miletos made a series of observations on static electricity around 600 BC

Radio
In 1878, David E. Hughes noticed that sparks could be heard in a telephone receiver when experimenting with his carbon microphone.

Television
The idea of using scanning to transmit images was put to actual practical use in 1881 in the pantelegraph, through the use of a pendulum-based scanning mechanism.

Glue
The earliest use of adhesives was discovered in Italy. At this site, two stone flakes partially covered with birch-bark-tar and a third uncovered stone from the Middle Pleistocene era (circa 200,000 years ago) were found.

Toilet
The third millennium B.C. was the "Age of Cleanliness." Toilets and sewers were invented in several parts of the world, and Mohenjo-Daro circa 2800 B.C.

Tampon
The oldest printed medical document, papyrus ebers, refers to the use of soft papyrus tampons by Egyptian women in the fifteenth century B.C. Roman women used wool tampons.

Source: Wikipedia

Is he from the Triassic or the Jurassic? That leathery skin of his make me think he related to synapsids. And I'm being good to him.

:LOL: Thank you, kind Sir.

I've still got my war time Mickey Mouse gasmask to hand so the increasingly suspect bodily function escapes don't bother me too much. Comes to us all, you know - be prepared :devilish:

Happy bday Jon
May your P&L today be all P! :cheers:

Last edited:
dont listen to them .........you are just warming up ......:party:

N

Last edited:
Happy Birthday to yah

:LOL: Thank you, kind Sir.

I've still got my war time Mickey Mouse gasmask to hand so the increasingly suspect bodily function escapes don't bother me too much. Comes to us all, you know - be prepared :devilish:

When you feel the pressure building and you know you can no longer retain the gasses building up pressure within; when you cannot stop the odd, short term, escape of gas; when you have a distracted smile upon your face -then it is best to seek a group of people engaged in noisy converstion, and noiselessly(if possible)expel excess gasses into the atmosphere and quietly walk away.
Happy birthday B :D;)

parp-parp:LOL:

Last edited:
When you feel the pressure building and you know you can no longer retain the gasses building up pressure within; when you cannot stop the odd, short term, escape of gas; when you have a distracted smile upon your face -then it is best to seek a group of people engaged in noisy converstion, and noiselessly(if possible)expel excess gasses into the atmosphere and quietly walk away.
Happy birthday B :D;)

parp-parp:LOL:

You don't fart in public, do you, Neil?

Wow. 73. It's very cool that all you old dudes are still involved in this game(y)

Happy b'day. Take it easy blowing out all those candles won't you?

Last edited:
Happy b'day. Take it easy blowing out all those candles won't you?
.. . and whatever you do Jon, don't attempt to blow them out with one of them there bottom burp type thingies that neil was waxing lyrical about!
:LOL: