The pitfall of a succesful remote trader

tradetheprofile

The pitfall of a successful remote trader

Hi everyone. I hope you are all making good money from the markets.

I am a successful remote trader (Bund futures) with one of the growing number of arcades out there. I started on this journey about 9/10 months ago and I want to share an element of my experience that I believe most people won't have considered before handing over their cash (many thousands of £££s). By the way, I am a great supporter of the paid trader training business model so please don't look to me to slag them off. There are some good firms out there and, yes, there are some more notorious ones, but if you dig deep enough you'll know which to avoid.

Anyway, to get back to the issue, my predicament is not exactly a bad one; more of a frustration. What do you do if you want to leave the firm you're with to find a position elsewhere?

I want to leave for a number of reasons; the main one being that I don't get on with a few of the mentors. In spite of my paying for the privilege, the power still lies with these guys, and if you don't stay in their good books they can decrease your clip size, and/or put you back on the simulator as and when they choose (almost). Okay, this is a pretty typical example of office politics, but in this case I've paid good money to be there. Being penalised for having a better "feel" for the markets than some of my mentors shouldn't be a reason for reprimand. So, I want to leave. However, that is easier said than done.

Contractually, I only need to give a short period of notice. Getting away from them isn't a problem. The challenge is to find another firm that will take me on! Without a track record and considerable experience in this field I can only turn to similar arcades. Of course, they all want to take money off me first. They say that I will need to "re-train" for other markets, or to pay for desk costs etc., but that is simply an excuse to get my money. So, I tell them thanks, but no thanks. Then I am offered a place but I have to put up my own money (considerably more thousands of £££) and benefit purely from the reduced commissions (and a better share of profits it has to be said) but I don’t really want (or have the capital) to do that either.

No, what I want is to join a firm, be given a funded account, show them what I can do and move forward. Everything else would be to take a step back, and I really don't see any reason to do that. I understand that I am still a risk to them, and that perhaps I shouldn’t expect to trade 5/10 lots straight away, but I’m not even being given the option to prove myself on 1 lot.

It would appear that I have little option other than to continue where I am until such time that I have sufficient experience and P&L (normally 18 months) before I can consider a move. Providing my mentors don't continually hold me back, I should have a healthy book by the end of that time. Anyway, I just thought it was worth bringing this matter to the attention of any aspiring traders. Before you part with thousands of £££s, think about the consequences of success, just as much as the consequences of failure.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
Judging from the number of enquiries about this on T2W, I'd say there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of people who are queueing up eager to have the "problems" that you have.
Give thanks to God that you're where you are, knuckle down and crack on.

Or let someone else take a dump on the crapper

I am a successful remote trader

then .....

Without a track record and considerable experience in this field

If I were you, I'd count your lucky stars that you've even got into an arcade.

Knuckle down, listen to your mentors and stop thinking you know better.

If you really were that successful, you wouldn't need to turn to other arcades. You'd have enough funds from your "success" to fund your own account.

You need them. They don't need you.

Fair enough. Valid comments there, although, I think that the hundreds/thousands of people who want to be in my position probably have/had the same opportunity as me (pay to train and if you're good enough, get hired). So, it's not as though I am in a "privileged" position.

And I don't agree that I need them more than they, me. Any working relationship should be built upon mutual respect. I just think that some of these arcades haven't really worked out how to manage their more successful retail "recruits". Perhaps that will come with time. From what I can see, there are more and more of the same business model springing up each week!

Honestly just wait till you have the PnL then just move somewhere more respectable, seems easy...

Agreed. I didn't start this thread as a complaint. More, as an advisory and to see what others think. Looks like I hit upon the big guns at T2W straight out, and I'm grateful for the feedback. Truly :smart:

Any suggestions as to where "somewhere more respectable" could be? Maybe I should write to them too. Lol.

. . . Any working relationship should be built upon mutual respect. I just think that some of these arcades haven't really worked out how to manage their more successful retail "recruits" . . .

Valid point and one, tbh that I've seen many a time at IB's ( ie graddys not being mentored / taught to trade properly), but, nontheless, you gotta play the hand you've been dealt.

Hello,

someone can give me an idea of performance a trading arcade is looking for to hire a trader ?

Thx

anything from Guys & Dolls is usually a winner, plus that Elaine Paige weepie from Cats.....good luck with your performance

Hello,

someone can give me an idea of performance a trading arcade is looking for to hire a trader ?

Thx

I would like to know this as well, one firm I contacted said they wanted to see at least $25,000 in gross profits over the last six months. Is this typical?

thats gross profits. If you cant do $25k, you will barely cover your costs - desk and software fee's are about $2k a month.

Trading

Most trading arcades, if not all, have three entry routes

1. Inexperienced Traders via the paid-trainee route
2. Experienced traders backing themselves
3. Experienced traders backed 100% or part backed by the firm

You're looking for option 3 which is easily achieveable, but some sort of track record would be needed. The longer/better the track record the better the deal you may receive.

I know of trading arcades that have part backed (firm and traders capital being traded) traders who have purely come from a spread betting background !!

All you need to do is sit down and negotiate with almost any of the many prop/trading arcades around

Who are you currently with and how did you get in? what were the costs? I am looking for somewhere

Re: The pitfall of a successful remote trader

hi there,

i saw u were trading bund futures.

i was wondering if i could use ur expertise.

i am trading bunds and am scalping for 5 ticks or so.

i just wanted to know what size i could get in and out quickly without hitting market.

i am currently doing 1s and 2s

ie. via queing.

i dont want to queue with 20 lots and just get partially filled all the time.

is 20 easy to queue and get filled with?

if so what would be the max size i could queue and get fully filled with the majority of the time?

if not, what size is easy to do this with?

i really appreciate your help.

merry xmas

omid