The Metal Review for the Week

jackfutu18

Pitguru brings you the metal review for the week of June 7th - 2010:

Precious metals were relatively weak last week. After running up to $1,230, the gold market it has stalled here and come to trade at $1,210 to head into this week even as the equity markets came crashing down Friday. It seems gold was trading off the strength of the USD as this market rallied considerably, putting a stall on the metal rally. Gold, silver, platinum, and palladium all having a tough time moving higher and I suggest taking some profit off the table this week as the momentum has shifted to neutral in these markets. With a rallying USD this week, metals will have a tough time moving higher.

Copper has seen some very significant liquidation as the Chinese market has rolled over into bear territory pushing the price of the base metal lower to $2.80. Equity markets are not cooperating here with another European nation in Hungary now in serious trouble of default. This has led to a selloff in copper as this market looks for the next support at $2.70-$2.65.

The Metals Review for The Week of July 26th, 2010

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of July 26th, 2010​
PitGuru Daniel Cronin said:
Precious metals have been showing some weakening signs as the Gold price tried to break through the big support of $1,180 last week. The market saw a dead-cat bounce above $1,200 where it was met by sellers to bring the price to level off at $1,190. For right now the fundamental factors of the Gold market are not working as the Euro gains against the USD but the Gold price not following suit higher. The metal, which touched a record $1,265.30 on June 21, has weakened 3.9 percent in July for the first decline in four months. There is still pressure being put on the downside so watch that $1,180-$1,175 number very carefully.

Copper had a great week last week as word came out of decreasing inventories on the LME that forced funds to buy this market all the way up to $3.22 before giving back some gains. This market raced to this number after breaking the huge resistance at $3.06 and $3.10 as there were many buy stops being elected above these prices. I expect for this market to take a little bit of a breather and trade down to $3.12 before regaining its form again. Equities have been overbought as well up at these levels so I will be looking for somewhat of a selloff.

These are some notes that traders in metals market need to know to decide their trading. Now just have a look at the chart for help!

metals.png

**chart courtesy Gecko Software’s Track n’ Trade Pro

The Metals Review for The Week of August 2nd, 2010

Back to metal markets, did you have a great trading week? I hope you did. Now, just check out the review for this week to see what PitGuru Daniel Cronin notes for us!

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of August 2nd, 2010​

Precious metals got liquidated last week, especially in the gold market as prices broke the support of $1,180 on the downside to trade at $1,157 in the Aug contract, but recently bounced to $1,180 to close out the week on value buying. Silver for immediate delivery increased 0.8 percent to $18.065 an ounce, platinum advanced 1 percent to $1,587.95 an ounce, while palladium was little changed at $497.25 an ounce. (1) It does seem that silver is taking charge of this market rallying back up to $18 after the sell off as this looks to be the leader right now. This market got some of the longs spooked out a bit but I still believe gold will try and head higher this week as the Euro makes another monthly high against the USD trading above $1.3080. There is some serious resistance at $1.3110 in the Euro and if this market gets above that I think the prices of the precious metals will rise.

Copper has been on absolute fire and is still making a charge to the upside as Sep now trades at $3.35, breaking the significant resistance of $3.28. This market got a boost with home sales last week and has continued to shine, in line with the equity markets. Copper has risen +40 cents in the last two weeks, and although I think there should be some profit taking in this market, it just seems like the bulls want to push it higher. $3.42 is the next resistance I see here, and I believe this could be obtained this week.

metals.png

***chart courtesy Gecko Software’s Track n’ Trade Pro
Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

The Metals Review for The Week of August 9th, 2010

Back to Metal market after seven days long with changes which will be good or not good for you guys. I hope you have a nice trading week. Now, just be back and take note necessary information that PitGuru Daniel Cronin brings to you.

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of August 9th, 2010​

Precious metals gaining some recognition after rallying, albeit in very minimal increments for the past two weeks now after getting liquidated to $1,157 in gold. Gold has traded up to $1,208 and looks to be testing the resistance of the $1,215-$1,2020 area. What’s helping the precious metals right now is the weaker USD. The dollar traded near the weakest level in three months against the euro after a U.S. report showed companies hired fewer workers than forecast, signaling the labor-market recovery will be slow to take hold. The dollar traded at $1.3284 per euro from $1.3280, after touching $1.3334 on Aug. 6, the weakest level since May 3. I think this looks like it will continue the trend and all of the shorts who were short the USD are now getting out and squeezing this market a bit. I like the silver play and I am looking for this market to go to $19. I think gold will have a tough time breaking through the $1,215 level. I am looking for sellers to hold this market below here.

Copper still going strong even after a bit of a speed bump Friday with the non farm payrolls. The market looked like it would be headed to $3.30, liquidating a bit as the S&P was down more than 15 points but suddenly had a nice comeback in the afternoon to keep the base metal afloat. $3.40 is a very big number but right now the market trades only a few pennies shy of that at $3.38. Stockpiles however are shrinking on the LME and this is what’s causing a lot of the buying recently other than just the rallying equities. I am looking for copper to test the $3.40 mark early in the week.

Metals.png

Chart courtesy Gecko Software’s Track n’ Trade Pro

The Metals Review For The Week of August 16th, 2010

Another week starts and we need to be back to view our market - Metals. I will not take much of your time any more, now just note down what our expert - PitGuru Daniel Cronin - would like us to pay attention to!

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of August 16th, 2010​

Precious metals did some nice rallying the last few weeks as the gold market has traded above $1,200 and is testing the $1,220 mark on the COMEX. Even as the Euro/USD has come down from a high of $1.3370 to $1.2750 the metals have still stayed above water as silver is also at $18.30 as well. I think the market will see some big resistance at this $1,220-$1,225 area so I am looking to sell rallies into this as I do not believe gold is ready yet to make another charge up to the yearly high of $1,265. The equity markets have come off, but not fast enough to charge this market back up to the top.

Copper has had a nice liquidation, some 15 cents to $3.25 and I think the market will see a consolidation period as longs start to build up position again. The market has really had a nice run and needed this healthy pullback so I would watch $3.20 as there is a lot of support at this level. $3.41 is still the top of this market but I believe $3.33 can be seen on the high end as this market will trend in between $3.20 and $3.35 this week.
For more reviews on financials, softs, grains, energies, just check out free weekly futures market reviews! Make sure you have a full understanding of the markets for your biz!
Metals.png

*Chart courtesy Gecko Software’s Track n’ Trade Pro

The Metals Review for The Week of August 23rd, 2010

Hello all! I'm glad to see you guys again. You may wonder what will our expert - PitGuru Daniel Cronin - tell you to note in the metals market this week. Soon, I'll report all. Now just check out:

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of August 23rd, 2010​

Precious metals rallied again last week to $1,240 in gold as investors dove into safe haven markets as the equity markets headed lower on bad economic data. The Sunday night session saw a bit of profit taking as gold was down to $1,229. Silver for December delivery fell 0.3 percent to $17.995 an ounce. Platinum for October delivery was 0.2 percent lower at $1,511.70 an ounce and Palladium for September delivery added 0.5 percent to $478.50 an ounce. Silver has now lagged behind gold significantly as this market cannot get above $19 and slowed mightily when trying to pass $18.50. I believe the market will see this profit taking occur until the GDP numbers this week. Then all bets are off as I think the market will react heavily to these numbers. For now, this market will hang at $1,220 in gold.

I believe copper will take profit as well and look to trade around $3.25 to $3.30 ahead of GDP numbers as this market got to the resistance at $3.39 last week and quickly got sold back to $3.30 as the S&P liquidated to 1170. Copper has been very strong to date but I think it will stall here until further notice as the market awaits the significant GDP number.
As normal, you can check out other weekly futures reviews to make sure you will be able to keep up with the whole futures markets for trading week.

Metals.png

***Chart courtesy Gecko Software’s Track n’ Trade Pro

The Metals Review for The Week of August 30th, 2010

We meet again. As other week, we will be back with the metals market with the review for this week. Let's see what information PitGuru Daniel Cronin shares with us!
The Metals Pit Review
For the week of August 30th, 2010​

Precious metals faded toward the end of the week as GDP reports were better than expected giving this market reason for investors to sell and take profits. Gold could not get above $1,245 and silver could not breakthrough $19.25. This week is expected to be choppy with the non-farm payrolls playing a huge factor into the trade. I do think the market will see gold cool off to $1,225 before going above $1,245. This market needs a breather after it crawled up from $1,159 to $1,245 so a bit of profit taking is not out of the question.

Copper had a huge rally on the Sunday night session as December broke above $3.40 to trade at $3.46. Bernanke’s comments last week fueled investors into this market. I saw a lot of selling on the rally however and I would recommend doing the same as I can see copper going back down to $3.35 before heading higher ahead of the non-farm payroll action Friday.

As usual, don't miss other futures market reviews that I cannot share all with you guys here to support for your trading week!

Metals+futures.png

Last edited:
The Metals Pit Review for The Week of Septemer 13rd, 2010

What has been going on in the metals market? Not hard for finding out the answer, our expert - PitGuru Daniel Cronin - will tell us how it is going.
"Looks like the precious metals are probing the downside here as Gold tried as it could but did not get over the huge resistance of $1,265. Now with a rallying equity and oil markets the price of Gold looks to head down to $1,230 on the COMEX. Silver could not get a solid close above $20.00 and thus reversed course into the low $19's for now. I believe you will see some added pressure in the Gold market and could see it liquidate even further than $1,230.
Copper was beat down last week on the weak data coming out of China and I think this market will see a bounce to the upside to start off the week as it came down some 15 cents from the high it just made at $3.55. I believe in selling into a rally like this as this market will likely not get above $3.55 this week."
As normal, other futures reviews are recommended us to check out for the whole views of how other markets are going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Metals Review for The Week September 20th, 2010

Back to the Metals market to see how copper and other precious metals markets have been going!

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of September 20th, 2010​

By PitGuru Daniel Cronin

Precious metals once again on the rise this week as Gold barreled through the $1,265 resistance and is now headed towards $1,300. Silver also having a great ride up as it goes beyond the $21 mark. If long here I suggest you ring the register a bit but still keep some of your position on. I like the $1,300 mark to be caught sometime in the next week or so.

Copper has been having a great run up to the $3.50 level but needs to break resistance at $3.55 to move any higher here. With the S&P lingering around 1130 any burst above this level could send Copper above this resistance. Remember to keep in mind that $3.68, this year’s high is only 10-15 cents away right now.

As ever, for the full views of futures trading floor, it will be better to view other futures market reviews to make sure that you don't miss any information affecting on the market you are trading.

Metals+Futures.jpg

Gold - Fear Itself

According to The Bullion Report for the week of September 22, 2010, at both points in history, 1980 and 2010, it would appear that gold becomes a reflection of our greatest fears. So why it must be "Fear Itself"?

Fear Itself

In 1980 the price of gold soared to new highs after nearly doubling in the year prior. Thirty years later, gold prices are pushing the envelope and moving to fresh highs again. What is one of the things that this moment in price history has in common with today? Fear.The investing climate in 1980 was one that was rife with fear-inducing fundamentals. Oil prices were high, inflation was high and the geopolitical situation was explosive. Inflation had already breached 9 percent in 1975 and by 1979 was above 11 percent. In 1980, it soared to 13.5 percent. Internationally, Iran had been bubbling with revolution for years, and the situation was far from resolved. More impactful, though, was that the Soviet war in Afghanistan was about to hit high velocity after the close of 1979. On the home front, the economy in the United States was far from comfortable. Unemployment was high, and the average consumer was struggling with higher prices for goods and energy.

9-22-10+gold+weekly+1980.jpg

9-22-10+gold+weekly+2009_10.jpg

Past performance is not indicative of future results.
*chart courtesy Gecko Software’s Track n’ Trade Pro

What followed was a historic price spike in gold prices, the likes of which were not seen again for another twenty years. The combination of a poor and uncertain economic outlook coupled with the rising tide of geopolitical tensions was enough to bring a flood of buyers. The rationale was that gold provided a traditional store of wealth and value. The US dollar was already on shaky ground. It was believed that any further depreciation could drop its value and bring gold higher. Gold was not only a potential inflation hedge, it had become a crisis hedge.

Fast-forward nearly thirty years and the same kinds of catalysts for investor fear have taken root. On the global front, the war on terror continues with hot centers in Afghanistan and Iraq. Tensions in the Middle East, one of the epicenters for oil production, provide more than enough concerns that energy could be threatened. More importantly, that side of the world takes headlines regularly as Iran becomes the focus of issues concerning the potential for nuclear ambitions.

Economically, the United States has not rebounded from the fallout of the financial crises. The housing market collapse had a ripple effect that is still being felt in the employment, credit, and investment sectors. The housing industry did a 180 and the loss of income and jobs following the big boom in construction made more than a few average consumers go bust. The government response to this calamity was recovery and stimulus, the likes of which brought more than a few comparisons to the efforts to cull the effects of the Great Depression.

Fear in both instances has provided a powerful incentive to look to other stores of value beyond the equity markets and the US dollar. Commodities appear as the alternative avenue against paper IOUs. Gold has a dual life as both recognized potential currency and commodity. Unlike some of the other commodities available as an alternative to the equity markets, gold is not perishable and the supply and demand fundamentals are not as fragile. The real downside risk following a fear-induced rally comes from investor needs.

Once the news is out and the investor can find calm, there is a chance for a round of selling. However, finding the top and being motivated to sell while gold chugs towards historic highs can be a difficult maneuver. Recently, gold price came under selling pressure as investors looked to bring liquidity by selling their quality assets, including gold. This sell-off was not as deep as that seen in the 1990s when investors dropped the precious metal as rumors swirled that central banks would be selling their gold holdings. Now that the central banks have agreed to another five year cap on sales, it is unlikely that pressure would come from that quarter. Instead of a fear of gold flooding the market investors will be looking to a stable growth outlook for the economy, both at home and abroad.

The financial uncertainty still looms large over the smaller economic well-being of the average consumer as well as the powerhouse economies of nations. For now, there seems to be little to suggest that either of them is in a full recovery mode. Many nations, like Greece and Spain, have seen their economic outlook downgraded. Recent comments from the Federal Reserve suggest that the United States will have a long uphill battle with recovery and they will keep rates at historic lows to try to spur the same. Inflation fears have been on the back burner, but the amount of money and debt that were built up to try to stimulate the economy could bring that issue to the forefront sooner rather than later. Fresh fears could be just around the corner.

Re: Gold - Fear Itself

That could be the way forward, but I reckon I would be in the hole for a good 3 months if I were to buy the next pullback.(n)

Better opportunities elsewhere for now.

The Metals Review for The Week of September 27th, 2010

It's another new week again, now just check out how Gold, Silver and Copper markets look like under the PitGuru Daniel Cronin's analysis!

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of September 27th, 2010​

Gold has eclipsed the $1,300 mark for the first time ever as Gold bugs are still pouring in to this market with the rallying of the Euro/USD which is now above $1.30. Silver has also broken the $21.60 mark looking to go to $22 here on the COMEX. I must say though that I was surprised at the fact that when breaking $1,300, Gold did not have an immediate trigger rallying higher but staying right at the $1,300 mark. This could be the fact that longs are taking advantage of the price increase and selling in this area. I think the Gold market may take a breather up here for the best week or so as it digests being above $1,300 with traders selling on the rally to cash in.

Copper has also broken another handle as this market trades above $3.60. It's no surprise with the S&P rallying above 1130 that Copper would break this mark but it is now only 6 cents away from this year’s high of $3.68. This too seems like market where traders will take profit ahead of a big technical number and I think you can expect Copper to stay under $3.65 this week.

To daily keep up with the market, check out the futures prices for more support!

Metals+futures.jpg

Inflation & Gold

When looking at the title, you may wonder what is the relationship between inflation and Gold. Don't let you wait for long, we are be going to discover The Bullion Report to see what's going on.

Inflation & Gold

When it comes to the gold markets, it is not uncommon for investors to hear the word inflation from time to time. Gold is generally talked about as a potential hedge for inflation. On the other hand, there are economists who argue that it is a poor hedge for inflation. Others still point to inflation as a potential catalyst for higher gold prices and argument for new price heights. So what is the backbone of this argument and how does inflation work into the gold markets?

Inflation-gold.jpg

In plain terms, inflation is the word to describe the rise of prices of goods and services in a particular economy. Usually, this price gain happens over a stretch of time. It can also be described as the erosion of the value of money. In the United States, inflation is characterized by the fact that it takes more dollars to buy certain goods and services than it did when compared to a another time period. The classic story from older generations about the cost of bread or a nickel buying a chocolate bar is a reflection of inflation. A dollar just doesn’t buy what it used to.

These changes in the purchasing power of a dollar are reflected in a price index like the Consumer Price Index (CPI) from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This index measures the “average change over time in the prices paid by urban consumers for a market basket of consumer goods and services.” These urban consumers are roughly 87 percent of the population. The goods included cover everything from food, apparel, and housing to transportation, medical care, and education. Obviously, this covers the majority of products and services that the average individual needs to concern themselves with.

Many economists suggest that inflation should happen at a slow and steady rate. Positives for a low rate of inflation include the Keynesian idea that it might soften the blow of recession where the labor market is concerned. However, the root issue that has recently been grappled with is that there is potential for it to accelerate because of the general response to the recent credit, housing, and banking crisis. This would be more in tune with the monetarist view. All of the rapid printing of money and the large stimulus packages from governments has likely increased the money supply. A catalyst for inflation is the devaluation of money and there is no better way to see a currency’s value plummet than to add debt or increase supply. What many investors are looking for is a moment of hyperinflation. In their estimation, gold performed well enough against the high prices seen in the 1970s, if recent events push prices higher it may perform just as well.

The effect on gold because of the fear of instability has been substantial. Recent movements have pushed gold prices to record highs, topping $1,300 per troy ounce. This has been partly due to the desire for a haven or store of value during particularly harrowing financial times, as well as the demand for a hedge. The common argument against ownership purely on the basis of hedging against inflation suggests that the downtrends in prices during the 1980s and 1990s would have been rough on gold bugs. However, the other side of the price argument suggests that there is plenty of upside potential for gold prices specifically because they have not really reached new highs when viewed through an inflation microscope.

According to recent news headlines, the fact that the price of gold has only gained about 19 percent this year while “consumer prices have almost tripled in the past three decades” is proof that it isn’t keeping pace with inflation. (1) It is argued that the $873 peak price of gold in 1980 would be over $2,300 an ounce today, based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ inflation calculator. That calculator is based on the average CPI for the given year. This calculation would mean that gold has another $1,000 per troy ounce to go before it approaches the inflation-adjusted high.

That kind of logic coupled with the idea of an increasing money supply due to the economic crisis could be the catalyst for continued bullish views on gold. It is not just the United States that has increased debt in an effort to stave off a credit disaster. The European banks and other western powers have been scrambling just as hard to try to salvage the situation and that means a global increase in money supply. Inflation and the threat of paper money being devalued to the point of hyperinflation are very real to some analysts. It is a concern that has been back-burnered by governments trying to prop up recovery.

The Metals Review for The week of October 4th, 2010

New week starts, let check out what is new in the market and plan your business!

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of October 4th, 2010​

By PitGuru Daniel Cronin
Gold and Silver still showing no signs of turning back around as both of these markets continue to push higher to new levels for 2010. I would like to recommend having a bit of a short position on just for the simple fact of the huge rally the past two months but these markets just don't seem like they want to turn around yet. Gold at $1,320 and Silver at $22 is a very real thing in the market right now. I do believe eventually these markets will have some profit taking occur and it just might have to wait until after the jobs report comes out this Friday. Look for Gold to have some resistance at $1,325 and Silver at $22.25 heading into this week.

Copper breaking the $3.60 mark last week and heading to $3.70 as investors buy up the base metal as the markets continue to rally here. I think it will see $3.72 as the next resistance here and if good news does not come out Friday on the jobs report than the market may see Copper come back and test $3.60. Jobs report will be key.
To find more support, keep up with the futures prices to see how the markets change and be active in your trading!

metals-futures.jpg

Gold & Reserves

Back to our weekly caring topic - Gold. Today, we will have a discussion on Gold & Reserves with the information shared by The Bullion Report. I hope that you can find out what should you do in this changeable time in Gold prices.

Gold & Reserves

Among the most intriguing information in the physical gold sphere is the ebb and flow of assets from central banks. Reserves of gold have shifted on more than one occasion in the preceding centuries. Sometimes even the mere rumor of a sale or purchase by one country or another can have dramatic impacts on the gold markets and prices. The recent climate of financial and economic issues on a global scale could provide some reform that sparks rumors of that nature. Understanding the ins and outs of this part of gold demand could be an important part of gold fundamentals for the weeks and months to come.

10-6-10%20gold%20weekly.jpg

What are gold reserves all about?

In a nutshell, reserves are those assets held by central banks or other monetary authorities. They are assets used to back liabilities of the central bank. They could theoretically be fiat currencies or precious metals like gold. Gold reserves can be held as a store of value. A precious metal reserve can function as a means for the bank to diversify holdings rather than be at risk for the volatility of a single asset. Gold is less likely to be undermined by the monetary policies of the nation.

A lot of the early building of gold stocks took place during the period of the gold standard. Circulating money from the banks was tied to the store of gold since notes were convertible to the precious metal at a specified rate. However, few banks likely held enough gold to cover all of the currency they issued. The early part of the 20th century saw a large build in these reserves and they peaked in the 1960s at around 38,000 tons. The gold standard fell by the wayside, but the demand for gold as a reserve asset did not. The average bank holds around 10 percent of its reserves in the precious metal, and some hold as much as 75 percent.

These gold holdings are important on the global scene because there have been pivotal moments in gold price history that were directly affected by information about gold reserves. Following the large price jump in gold in 1980, there was a period of selling and pressure on prices. The result was a series of fresh lows for gold prices in the 1990s. More than one analyst attributes this period of cheaper gold to the central banks and their attitude towards gold reserves.

During this time, the idea was that gold was a dead end in terms of yield. After all, gold holdings do not produce interest payments. The returns from lending gold might have appeared less than stellar compared to other assets. Rumors swirled that official stocks would be pared back and the official total dropped about 10 percent by 1999. From a supply view of the gold market, this brought in selling pressure that ravaged prices.

The price destabilization contributed in part to the 1999 Central Bank Gold Agreement (CBGA) from European banks which stated that their reserves would retain gold as an important component. Basically, the agreement dictated how much gold could be sold collectively over the following five-year period. In each of the years 2004 and 2009, banks agreed to renew the CBGA. The 2009 agreement has a ceiling of the sale of no more than 400 tons of gold annually. The banks who signed the agreements include Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Italy, Switzerland, and a host of others across Europe. These agreements are important signals to gold markets since they could preclude any surprise bulk sales of the metal that could bring pricing chaos.

How much gold do they hold now?

Many banks don’t allow for a physical audit of stored gold, but the International Monetary Fund (IMF) delivers statistics on the asset reporting from various nations. The World Gold Council regularly releases rankings for this data and as of September showed that holdings from these nations and other official organizations topped 30,000 metric tons. The following chart shows the holdings for some of the top ranking groups.

10-6-10%20gold%20holdings.jpg

Data courtesy of the World Gold Council

It is important to note that although the European Central Bank (ECB) holdings are just over 500 tons, the Maastricht treaty allows reserves from national central banks in the European Union to be at the ECB’s disposal.

The overall holdings of central banks and the official sector are far lower than they were at their peak in the middle of the last century. Where once this side of demand counted for around 50 percent of physical above ground supplies, it now accounts for about 20 percent.

Last edited:
Re: Gold & Reserves

Sorry, what do you mean when you say the gold of Euro countries is at the ECB's disposal? The ECB could for example sell German gold if it wanted to?

I notice also that the UK is not on your graph. Gordon Brown, you SUCK. Still short from $280, where's your stop d*ckhead?

The Metals Review for The Week of October 11th, 2010

On the way of its changes, metal markets will cause us difficulties or sometimes bring us advantages in our trading. Difficulties or advantages are usually up to how well we make decisions. And this is up to how well we can keep up with the market. Back to the metal market today, PitGuru Daniel Cronin will support you do that job. So, just have a look at the review to keep up with the metals market changes.

The Metals Pit Review
For the week of October 11th, 2010​

The movement in the precious metals has just been phenomenal and I am truly shocked that the market hasn't seen any real profit taking occur as Gold reached a high of $1,363 with Silver up above $22.30 as these markets just continue to move higher. The Euro/USD is helping out a lot with the USD getting weaker to above $1.39 as the Bank of Japan came out last week lowering its key interest rate to nearly 0, spurring all markets to rally. I believe that the market will see Gold retest the highs and even try to reach $1,375 this week, but still feel that there should be some healthy pullback or liquidation after literally going straight up for the past month.

Copper has been having a great year here simply moving higher every day now as this market just hit a new 2010 high of $3.82 in the overnight session. Traders love this base metal, buying it up on any pullback they can. Look for $3.85 to be tested this week before liquidation back down to $3.70 as this continues to rally with the equity markets.

Besides the weekly analysis by expert, you can also keep up with the daily changes of prices in metals and other futures markets for on-time decisions.

China & Gold

Be back with the 'The Bullion Report' and Gold market this week, today we will have a short view of "Gold and China" - One of the big crowed country in the world. So now, see what we have!

Gold & China

Boasting a population of well over one billion people and wielding the second largest trading power in the world, China’s participation in gold markets is worth closer scrutiny. Their rules and approach to the physical metals markets, as well as investment markets, can turn whole tides of sentiment just because of the country’s sheer size. In the last decade, the burgeoning middle class in China, as well as India, was viewed as a catalyst for the higher price movements for other commodities, so let’s take a look at how this view may roll into the precious metals sphere.

Gold-China.jpg

To suggest China is among one of the largest and most powerful industrialized nations would be an understatement. Sheer size and population aside, it is also home to nearly 50 of the Fortune Global 500 companies for 2010, has four of the world’s most valuable companies, and boasts one of the world’s largest exchanges. It is not unreasonable, therefore, that eyes turn towards Asia whenever there is consideration for the demand side of any commodity or financial instrument.

China’s history with gold has been about as colorful as any other nation’s. Ancient rulers knew the value of a little of the shiny metal for ornament or currency (although there has been some debate about the possibility that ancient texts are actually referring to copper, and that China may have been gold poor.) As of the second quarter of 2010, the World Gold Council (WGC) was reporting that the People’s Bank of China is proposing development of the gold market within China. The WGC sees “huge potential” for gold ownership there.

The government in China has loosened restrictions on gold ownership following a history of stringent policies regarding precious metal holdings for private citizens. On an official front, the nation does not release tallies of gold imports, but the estimated gold reserves in China are not bountiful compared to other spots in the world. According to the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, China’s gold output was 6 percent higher year on year, totaling 127.34 tons in for January through May. This could mean that a push towards adding to gold holdings – private and national – could mean higher imports. The internal gold lobby in China has pressed Beijing to increase the gold portion of national asset reserves.

Gold currently represents about 1.6 percent of the People’s Bank of China’s total holdings. There has been no official statement from the bank regarding the notion of adding to these reserves but the WGC suggests that if their holdings were boosted to just over 2 percent gold, it would provide another 400 tons of gold demand.

On the private front, gold demand has grown around 13 percent on average per year. Around 50 percent of this demand has fallen to jewelry purchases, and another 30 percent was for investment. The WGC is forecasting that overall demand for gold will jump from $14 billion in 2009 to $29 billion by the year 2020. As of the second quarter of 2010, gold demand in China has already gained 26 percent year on year. It reached over 111 tons, putting China firmly behind India in terms of the highest rate of gold consumption.

These images from ChinaGoldSummit.com help illustrate some of the growth in precious metals investment interest:
gold-trade.jpg

silver-trade.jpg

Besides government holdings and citizen investment in jewelry, there has also been talk of the potential for China to launch ETFs or gold funds. Reuters recently reported that “at least two companies have filed with authorities in China to come out with gold funds.” If these funds are backed by significant stores, or if they flourish and grow exponentially, they could point to bigger interest in precious metal investment in the Asian nation. Other ETFs already helped push the gains for the overall investment segment of demand, providing a 118 percent gain year on year. The total investment demand for gold was 534.4 tons and ETFs represented 291.3 tons of that number.