The Logic of the Eastleigh By-Election

Predicabo

Last conservative MP (Stephen Milligan) dies in unusual circumstances being found auto-asphyxiated while wearing stockings and suspenders. We’ve all been there.

Their out-going MP Chris Huhne (LD) is likely shortly to be imprisoned for a different kind of perversion in apparently coercing a 3rd party take his speeding offence for him.

Diane James (UKIP) hasn’t done or said anything stupid.

Mike Thornton (LD) hasn’t done or said anything.

John O’Farrell (LAB) is Labour and this is after all, Eastleigh.

Maria Hutchings (CON) a Tory certainly entitled to wear stockings and suspenders, feels her children are too bright for state schooling. A winner every time that one.

Not a betting man, but I suggest for those that are, there is significant mileage in a punt on Diane James of UKIP.

Last conservative MP (Stephen Milligan) dies in unusual circumstances being found auto-asphyxiated while wearing stockings and suspenders. We’ve all been there.
- Speak for yourself mate!

Their out-going MP Chris Huhne (LD) is likely shortly to be imprisoned for a different kind of perversion in apparently coercing a 3rd party take his speeding offence for him.
Yes, - couldn't happen to a nicer chap.

Diane James (UKIP) hasn’t done or said anything stupid.
- On TV street interview didn't slag off the other candidates and actually spoke some sense.

Mike Thornton (LD) hasn’t done or said anything.
- That's the way not to make any mistakes OR achieve anything.

John O’Farrell (LAB) is Labour and this is after all, Eastleigh.
- Also got a big (and unfunny) mouth and publicly said he would have liked Thatcher to have died in Brighton bombing - A sort of World Statesman really.

Maria Hutchings (CON) a Tory certainly entitled to wear stockings and suspenders, feels her children are too bright for state schooling. A winner every time that one.
- Would the average Joe send his kids to a state school if he could afford not to? [The Labour party hierarchy don't].

Not a betting man, but I suggest for those that are, there is significant mileage in a punt on Diane James of UKIP.
- Agree. Results should be interesting.

My thoughts in blue.

Photo excellently captures the art of not doing or saying anything. Obviously the perfect combination of qualities for a politician. When he was on the podium after being announced the winner alongside the leader of his party, I had to marvel at his ability to make even Nick Clegg look charismatic.

As an outsider, curious as to who is governing the UK, I am interested in the Nigel Farage phenomenon.

I think that he is a fantastic orator and enjoyed his Brussels speech enormously. His performance can be seen on You Tube.

Apart from that, is he just a great entertainer? His party has no seat in Parliament and he did not choose to stand in Eastleigh. If he had done, I believe that UKIP could have won, and he would have had two years in the House, in which to annoy the members and entertain and influence the public with his talent.

As it is, I don't see what the party has going for it, outside of him, and I am not sure what he would do with the country, once outside of Europe.

However, there is a very real danger that disgruntled voters will leave the main parties, not enough to win an election, but sufficient to stop anyone else from winning, either. This happened, on a smaller scale, in Cataluña, last November. The main party CiU, called a snap election, expecting a massive "independent" vote. Instead of which, it lost 9 seats to other, more Catalan minded parties. Now CiU has to govern with the left.

Did he not stand because he was frightened of losing? Would he make an "empty can" prime minister?.

As an outsider, curious as to who is governing the UK, I am interested in the Nigel Farage phenomenon.

I think that he is a fantastic orator and enjoyed his Brussels speech enormously. His performance can be seen on You Tube.

Apart from that, is he just a great entertainer? His party has no seat in Parliament and he did not choose to stand in Eastleigh. If he had done, I believe that UKIP could have won, and he would have had two years in the House, in which to annoy the members and entertain and influence the public with his talent.

As it is, I don't see what the party has going for it, outside of him, and I am not sure what he would do with the country, once outside of Europe.

However, there is a very real danger that disgruntled voters will leave the main parties, not enough to win an election, but sufficient to stop anyone else from winning, either. This happened, on a smaller scale, in Cataluña, last November. The main party CiU, called a snap election, expecting a massive "independent" vote. Instead of which, it lost 9 seats to other, more Catalan minded parties. Now CiU has to govern with the left.

Did he not stand because he was frightened of losing? Would he make an "empty can" prime minister?.

You should watch his youtube channel Split. He has been a major thorn in the side of club Europe. Some of his performances are legendary!

Nigel Farage - YouTube

Farage is hugely entertaining and I agree with much of what he says, but his speciality is destruction and personal animosity and ridicule. Much of that is justified but he is basically a rabble rouser with the finesse of a rhinocerous.
I don't think this has opened the way to his having MPs but his influence is nudging politics towards his attitudes is clear.