The Invisable Hand That LImits Your Trading

Wise choice Split. (y)

NOMEN EST OMEN

With a name like mine in a world like yours, you find out who is interested in learning how to build a more effective mindset for trading or whether they are easily distracted by incidental information.

What's interesting is that I am named after a friend of my fathers who died flying sorties from UK over Germany during WW11. It depends on the observer of the name, not the name.

Rande Howell

Thanks for clearing that one up then...

The problem with taking yourself too seriously is that others don’t, in direct proportion to your need for being taken seriously.

Look at Uncle Milt – a famously dry sense of humour and one of the most revered social psychologists of all time.

If it is Milton Erickson you speak of, he (though in my eyes a really important contributor to the knowledge base in psychology and has certainly impacted my work) is but a dot in the educational curriculum of psychology.

The question for me is this: Why are people joining this conversation so far off the intented target? This is about the psychology of trading, and my intent to engage traders who have come to realize that it is their current organization of psychology that stands in their way to higher performance in their trading. AND ARE SEEKING SOLUTIONS rather than continued distraction from the problem. It is not intended as a location of an sideshow. Tabloids for that.

Rande Howell

What's interesting is that I am named after a friend of my fathers who died flying sorties from UK over Germany during WW11. It depends on the observer of the name, not the name.
This is the 2nd time you've mentioned this in this thread alone. Why are you so obsessed with this?

Is it your fear of being shot down by others that causes you to harden your armour and accidentally present yourself as an emotionally detached potential psychopath?

Not everything is to do with trading, contrary to the current overload of subject matter currently being posted on this site. Psychology per se has nothing to do with trading. Show someone how to trade well, build walls well, do anything well – and their psychology is just fine thank you. Find anyone who isn’t yet in the happy state or found their vocation and their psychology will mirror that unhappy state of affairs. Psychology is the result of what’s happening – not the cause.

Psychology takes itself very seriously and has got away with the joke for over a hundred years. But increasingly psychology and psychologists are taking their rightful place alongside anyone who uses HR, PA, government administrator, accountant, lawyer, priest or consultant in their job description.

Too much navel gazing going on here.
Ignore how you feel and be logical and sensible and don't let your emotions control your trading.
Self-discipline, self-control or get out of the kitchen before you burn yourself to a cinder.

"But increasingly psychology and psychologists are taking their rightful place alongside anyone who uses HR, PA, government administrator, accountant, lawyer, priest or consultant in their job description. "

Don't agree, they should take their rightful place amongst the despised dregs of humanity such as estate agents (realtors) and, even worse, dentists.

Too much navel gazing going on here.
Ignore how you feel and be logical and sensible and don't let your emotions control your trading.
Self-discipline, self-control or get out of the kitchen before you burn yourself to a cinder.

Bloody good post, Mr Charts.

Don't agree, they should take their rightful place amongst the despised dregs of humanity such as estate agents (realtors) and, even worse, dentists.
That was the other bunch of useless sh!tes I was trying to think of - estate agents.

As for dentists, it always pays to be polite to them.

That was the other bunch of useless sh!tes I was trying to think of - estate agents.

As for dentists, it always pays to be polite to them.

You ought to see my dentist. Serrrrrrrrmoekin'! And such a nice bedside manner too. I'm eating 10 bags of pic n mix a day and not brushing my teeth in the hope I'll get some cavities. :)

With a name like mine in a world like yours, you find out who is interested in learning how to build a more effective mindset for trading or whether they are easily distracted by incidental information.

Rande Howell

Hi Rande

There is a bit of misunderstanding. Nomen est omen is nothing to do with you. It's to do with a member called Silly Cow. (if you check the Splitlink's post again - it was his response to Silly Cow's post). Also no offence meant to Silly Cow - I appreciate her modesty.

BTW I've heard a program of yours explaining psychological side of trading some time ago - quite scientific/professional.

PS It's Stupid Cow not Silly Cow. Appologies to Stupid Cow

Hi Rande

There is a bit of misunderstanding. Nomen est omen is nothing to do with you. It's to do with a member called Silly Cow. (if you check the Splitlink's post again - it was his response to Silly Cow's post). Also no offence meant to Silly Cow - I appreciate her modesty.

BTW I've heard a program of yours explaining psychological side of trading some time ago - quite scientific/professional.

Jesus due, you need to get your sh1t together. You're printing more clarifications, retractions and apologies than The Guardian.

Jesus due, you need to get your sh1t together. You're printing more clarifications, retractions and apologies than The Guardian.

The explanation may be helpful if there are any other reasons behind misunderstanding other than poor concentration. It seems there is no shortage of psychoanalysts here - something for them to keep them busy.

Hi Rande

How silly of me. Indeed apologies to Stupid Cow.

The bottom line is that the beliefs that we bring to trading are rarely the beliefs that can produce success in trading. Until uncertainty has been decoupled from fear and worry, a trader is not going to be able to produce a probability based mindset that is needed in trading. Add to this, that the vast majority of traders lose money and transfer their capital to traders who have been able to build or inherit a disciplined and impartial mindset.

My intent is further progress in this conversation for people seeking to become better traders. It simply makes no sense to me that people would log onto a trader psychology forum and then squander the time and emotional capital of their energy by not bringing a mindset geared for learning. Rather it just becomes entertainment.

I know for a fact that a number of people have read the article that this forum is based because they have participated in my free webinars, contacted me afterwards, and gone on to become clients or get my book. So I know their are serious students of trading psychology who are seeking help who read this forum. For those who simply are looking for entertainment, my hope is that you seek it elsewhere. Developing trader psychology is serious business to a person who is missing some essential skill sets that separate them from the success they know is possible in trading.

Psychology is not about reading minds, it is about building a psychology of self that sets us free from the prison from our self limiting beliefs and build empowering beliefs that allow a new level of performance.

Rande Howell