The Good Old Days !

Guesty

Just for a minute, when you’ve got a quiet moment, forget everything stressful and read this...............

Go back in time... Before the Internet or the Apple Mac. Before semi-automatics, joy riders and crack.... Before SEGA or Super Nintendo... Way back........

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park, The corner shop, Hopscotch, Butterscotch, Skipping. Handstands, Had, Kiss-Chase, Football with an old can, Fingerbobs, Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the Menace, Roly Poly, Hula Hoops, jumping the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe bubble gum. An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune - Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball.

Wait......Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials, The Double Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Zeebedee Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'? - or staying up for Doctor Who. When 'around the corner' seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.

Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings. Stickyfingers, Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro. Climbing trees, Building igloos out of snow banks, Walking to school no matter what the weather.
Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles. Being tired from playing.... remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

I'm not finished just yet.....

Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops. Remember when... There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop Green Flash plimsolls - and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E. You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends, or even more !! You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve. When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 10p was decent pocket money. When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there. It was magic when dad got home from work and sat you on his knee. When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents. When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him/her or use them to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving kid at home. Really, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc - parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! - and Some of us are still afraid of them!!

Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that!

Remember when.... Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog **** " and a "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly". The worst thing you could catch from the opposite *** was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one. It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't an Olympic event. Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult. Nobody was prettier than Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better. Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin. Ice cream was considered a basic food group. Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true. Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED. (and your probably the wrong side of 35)

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown up" life, go on... I DOUBLE-DOG-DARE YOU!

(Received via email)

I guess that I will finally have to accept I'm not 25 anymore....

JonnyT

I remember when when you found cast offs in the street you made something out of it - not destroyed it.
I remember going to the park and parents not being worried about whether you'd come home.
I remember my Father being ill and no money coming into the house (thank God for relatives and friends).
I remember my Dad cooking me a meal (a never heard of occasion) when I returned from a short stint of working away.
I remember New Years Eve and a five mile walk interrupted by visits to strangers' houses, doors open to everyone, Christmas cake and cheese and sherry regardless of age.
Some good, some bad, but mostly more secure and happier in spite of the bad times.
I remember thinking of Dad - what would he think of things now - he died 39 years ago - he would find the world now unrecognisable.
Age not admitted :!:

I remember when food, coal, clothing were rationed and shortages aplenty!!! Who said give me the good old days????

I remember too when footballers wore strong leather boots with hard toe caps, and a real leather ball with a lace up. Ouch!!!

Methinks life is a bowl of cherries to what it used to be

...personally it's the way an Airfix Spitfire has gone from 2 bob to more like 8 quid that brings my own mortality sharply into focus - I take the kids out for a small toy and I'm twenty quid down. Looking back on Panda cars - how on EARTH were coppers meant to catch crooks driving Morris 1000's?
And what about that Napoleon, invading Montegro like that ... err, sorry, getting a bit silly again...

Jeez, I remeber all that. And my Grand dad wringing a chicken's neck so we had a Christmas dinner , sob sob. I walked to school in all weathers too from age 7 til 11, a mile and a half and no-one worried.....

There's no doubt about it the Empire went down hill with the abolition of the gas lamp's in the street. If I am not mistaken this coincided with a downturn in the Coppicks Indicator.

:D

:confused: :confused:

I think this thread is the first one I haven't got a clue what you peeps are talking about - Have I missed something :?:

I was talking to a friend at work, he's 21, and we couldn't work out what people did before sky TV and the internet, so we asked someone with more life experience........and it turns out PEOPLE ACTUALLY WENT OUT FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

The pair of us went from a state of thinking "those poor people", to thinking "poor us" :(

However, I'm reminded of something Jasper Carrott once said.

Every generation thinks the one before it was better. In the 90's people thought the 70's were great. 80's people thought the 60's was better. Even people in the 60's thought the 40's were better :confused:
The important thing is to live for the era we're in :)

Just my thoughts, on a subject I haven't got a clue about!!

Brings it all back guesty and I'm still the right side of 35. (but not by much).

Was feeling nostalgic this week anyway as I've spent the last week building a tree house for my kids. I always wanted one when I was a kid (but we didn't have a tree!!).

Does any one remember white dog pooh? (and more importantly, why don't you see it nowadays?)

Darrenf,

Hmmm, white dog pooh huh......not too sure who's more sad, you for asking about it or me knowing the answer.... it is only white if you feed your dog bones, apparently sh*t loads of calcium in the bones turn pooh white. It used to be a regular occurrence years ago to feed your dog marrow bones, it was cheap and kept him/her quiet. Dogs are more like part of the family nowadays and get fed similar food to us humans and/or owners buy tinned dog food. The scare of CJD , buying 'meat on the bone' didn't help either.

Well, you did ask....

In fact, a 'skin full' of Murphy's Irish stout will have the opposite affect on us humans...!!!!

Hope this helps in some strange way..... :LOL: