The FTSE 2006

Mornin chaps. Just pondering on ukhero's comment 'think I have missed the boat'. Under such circumstances do you not look at other oppourtunities?

For example I look daily/weekly across Gold, Oil, DOW, DAX, Nikkei, FTSE, CAC, NDX and SPX. I have my levels noted on all of them and when any present a suitable risk/reward then I go with them. I find following mutiple indices alot easier as general micro/macro economic news usually effects them all even if not specifically localised to that indice.

Currently the FTSE does not look like a ideal entry point and for me the NDX presents the most potential and then possibly the SPX. Note how aggressively the NDX moved yesterday on one positive bit of tech news from KLAC, I think earnings season will help the NDX to recover some ground and I am looking for 1600 maybe 1630.

I am not against trading anything and just wondered if most on this board purely focus on one instrument i.e the FTSE.

So for me summing up, FTSE sidelined, NDX currently long and SPX looking to enter. As always things can change pretty fast!

Downbytheriver7

When I say ‘I’ve missed the boat’ I’m solely referring to the FTSE.

Of course there’s other markets, for me its Xstrata and Rio Tinto today – and both are doing nicely.

Not expecting much movement with Oil today or over the next couple of days.

Gold is sitting top heavy and I’m expecting a retraction tomorrow.

UK

The FTSE, Thursday 13th July 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 5860, up 3pts [0.06%]
Range: 5889 - 5842.

Last 5 TD: down 0.59%.
OTM: 0.48%.

DOW
11013, down 121pts [1.09%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.24%.
OTM: -1.22%

S&P 500
1258.60, down 13.92pts [1.09%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.96%.
OTM: -0.90%.

News items of note:
Telegraph - 'Unemployment has risen to a four-and-a-half year high and average pay packets have increased faster than expected, according to official figures.

The Office for National Statistics said the number of people out of work and claiming benefits increased for the fifth month running in June, by 5,900 to 956,600 - 5.4pc - the highest since January 2002.

UK unemployment is lower than the 7.9pc average in the eurozone but higher than the US, where it is running at 4.6pc and 4pc in Japan.' The ED results surprised the market, self included.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesdays favoured the rise. Thursdays are unclear.

The PoM System: -1.25, interpretation: a weak dip.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
None.

Economic Data:
None UK
13:30 US Jobless claims [should be interesting].

Areas to watch: Oil is top heavy and due for a decline. Brent crude @ $74.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the US markets heavy southern shift today has yet to impact on the European markets; SB companies have the FTSE opening down 18-22pts; charts are unclear and the PoM favours the weak dip; no CR or ED, but the US ED is the one to watch.

Early gut feeling: late rise.

Will I bet? Well I did say that it would be an interesting day yesterday. Tomorrow, too many unknowns: Oil, Miners, US ED result. To be honest, I've no idea where the market will finish on the day and so it's the fence for me.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

ukhero said:
The FTSE, Thursday 13th July 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 5860, up 3pts [0.06%]

Last 5 TD: down 0.59%.
OTM: 0.48%.

DOW
11013, down 121pts [1.09%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.24%.
OTM: -1.22%

S&P 500
1258.60, down 13.92pts [1.09%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.96%.

News items of note:
Telegraph - 'Unemployment has risen to a four-and-a-half year high and average pay packets have increased faster than expected, according to official figures.

The Office for National Statistics said the number of people out of work and claiming benefits increased for the fifth month running in June, by 5,900 to 956,600 - 5.4pc - the highest since January 2002.

UK unemployment is lower than the 7.9pc average in the eurozone but higher than the US, where it is running at 4.6pc and 4pc in Japan.' The ED results surprised the market, self included.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesdays favoured the rise. Thursdays are unclear.

The PoM System: -1.25, interpretation: a weak dip.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
None.

Economic Data:
None UK
13:30 US Jobless claims [should be interesting].

Areas to watch: Oil is top heavy and due for a decline. Brent crude @ $74.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the US markets heavy southern shift today has yet to impact on the European markets; SB companies have the FTSE opening down 18-22pts; charts are unclear and the PoM favours the weak dip; no CR or ED, but the US ED is the one to watch.

Early gut feeling: late rise.

Will I bet? Well I did say that it would be an interesting day yesterday. Tomorrow, too many unknowns: Oil, Miners, US ED result. To be honest, I've no idea where the market will finish on the day and so it's the fence for me.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

nazdaq very weak think this is affecting all usa markets, it just kept its head above 2090 tonight . all i mo

dcarrigan said:
nazdaq very weak think this is affecting all usa markets, it just kept its head above 2090 tonight . all i mo

Yes NDX very weak, averaged down slightly so I am long around 1520, going to hold for a while. The a break of the June lows looks bad. FTSE due a sharp downward shock if the US does stablize today, and I might short as a hedge against my NDX long for now.

Good luck all and well done if you were short!

Last edited:
So quiet for such a big day! LOL. Potential temp/short term washout? NDX just moved up 30 points off its intraday low, ditto for the FTSE. Atleast Friday's going to be fun!

The FTSE, Friday 14th July 2006

Thursday's results:
Close: 5765, down 95pts [1.63%]

Last 5 TD: down 2.11%.
OTM: 1.15%.

DOW
10846, down 166pts [1.52%].

Last 5 TD: down 3.41%.
OTM: -2.73%

S&P 500
1242.29, down 16.31pts [1.30%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.51%.
OTM: 2.20%.

News items of note:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'U.S. stocks fell on Thursday as violence in the Middle East drove investors into safe-haven Treasuries and gold and helped to catapult the oil price to a record, reviving fears of higher inflation and slowing profit growth.' - Disagree. There's been troublesome times before in the middle East and the stock market hasn't reacted in this manner before. Unless, of course, we don't know something that others do!

NEW YORK (Reuters)
- PepsiCo Inc. on Thursday posted a better-than-expected 14 percent rise in profit, boosted by noncarbonated beverages including Gatorade sports drinks and Lipton Iced Tea and strong growth in international markets such as Russia and China.' Strange, normally this would have lifted a static market. So I guess we're not in a normal market!

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursdays was unclear. Fridays show a general up trend towards the days end. A rise.

The PoM System: 1.25, interpretation: a rise.

Companies reporting:
BAA [AGM].

Economic Data:
None UK
US: Retail sales, Michigan Sentiment and Business Inventories.

Areas to watch: Oil is still top heavy; any further disturbance in the Middle East.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: another day today when the markets over react to disturbances in the Middle East; SB companies have the FTSE pegged down 10-12pts on open; charts favour an early morning rise and the PoM agrees; no CR or ED but the US ED is the one to watch; any Middle East news will move the markets; market sentiment still favours the Bull.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? My data says a rise, and you should always go with your data. Going Long with a tender stop gap.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Monday 17th July 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5707, down 57pts [1.00%]
Range: 5765 - 5707.

Last 5 TD: down 3.11%.
OTM: -2.14%.

DOW
10739, down 107pts [0.99%].

Last 5 TD: down 3.20%.
OTM: -3.72%

S&P 500
1236.20, down 6.09pts [0.49%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.32%.
OTM: -2.69%.

News items of note:
European stocks fall as oil hits new record

FT.com -'European equity markets fell after escalating violence in the Middle East pushed crude oil to a record high and prompted sharp falls in Asia and the US. The FTSE Eurofirst 300 fell 1.1 per cent, to 1,278.84, while Frankfurt’s Xetra Dax dropped 1.9 per cent, to 5,422.22 and the CAC-40 in Paris lost 1.5 per cent, to 4,780.79.

In London, the FTSE 100 shed 1 per cent to 5,707.6.

Escalating violence in the Middle East between Israel and Lebanon combined with fresh fears over supply disruptions pushed crude to a new record.

Nymex August West Texas Intermediate hit a high of $78.40 a barrel.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Fridays anticipated a rise. Mondays are to distorted to read.

The PoM System: +3.75, interpretation: a rise. Note: the PoM system has no ability to factor the Middle East crisis.

Companies reporting:
Burren Energy
Wolseley

Economic Data:
None UK

Areas to watch: Middle East; Oil and Gold.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: 'walking along the Cornice in Beirut, some time back, I asked a group of American Marines which country was the most volatile in the Middle East [ME]. Four metal hats tilted towards Israel.' - Having had first hand experience with the Hezbollah, I can say with conviction that the present situation in the ME won't be dissipating over night. Expect the worse and you won't be far wrong. So how will the markets react? As we have seen, a lot of heavy selling across the pond with Europe following close behind; Oil hitting a record high and expected to rise higher, add to that the coming hurricane season and what we have is a very nervous market.

The US markets have dropped dramatically over the last week, so will they fall further? I believe so unless news changes for the better, which is very unlikely. Major buyers will be asking if there are bargains to be had, and there's plenty, so watch the markets open for major toe dippers before committing to a Long. It must be said, America has the advantage of spy satellites, and I'm sure there's plenty intheknow as to what’s happening in the ME as to be able to make an advantageous buying decision. Unfortunately, here in the suburbs of Middle England the only satellite we have comes with a 12 month contract and displays re-runs of the Simpsons.

In all, markets will be moved by any ME news for the coming week.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? Lost 12pts Friday before my stop gap steped in. Will be watching the markets closely for signs of a bounce befor commiting.

If you are betting:
make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Tuesday 18th July 2006

Monday's results:
Close: 5701, down 6pts [0.12%]
Range: 5721 - 5654.

Last 5 TD: down 3.36%.
OTM: -2.26%.

DOW
10747, up 8pts [0.07%].

Last 5 TD: down 3.24%.
OTM: -3.64%

S&P 500
1234.49, down 1.71pts [0.14%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.61%.
OTM: -2.83%.

News items of note:
Yahoo news - WASHINGTON - Crude oil prices fell Monday amid attempts to halt fighting between Israel and militants in Lebanon.

Even if an immediate cease-fire is not reached, analysts said the fact that the violence has not spread in the region should help contain, if not sharply reduce, oil prices.

"At some point the market is going to become immune to every little attack," said BNP Paribas Commodity Futures broker Tom Bentz.

Also pushing prices lower were somewhat conciliatory remarks by Iran over the weekend relating to its nuclear standoff with the West. Iran said Sunday that Western incentives to halt its nuclear program were an "acceptable basis" for talks, and it is ready for detailed negotiations.

Light sweet crude for August delivery slid $1.73 to $75.30 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. That contract expires on Thursday. September oil futures, which traded above $78 a barrel on Monday, will become the front-month contract on Friday.

The front-month futures contract reached an intraday record of $78.40 a barrel this past Friday before settling at an all-time closing high of $77.03.

September Brent crude futures on London's ICE Futures exchange fell 84 cents to $76.74 a barrel, after hitting a new high at $78.18 earlier Monday, then dropping as low as $75.73.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Mondays were to distorted to read. Tuesdays show no clear direction but do slightly favour the rise over the fall.

The PoM System: +3.0, interpretation: a rise. Note: the PoM system has no ability to factor in the Middle East crisis.

Companies reporting:
BA

Economic Data:
UK CPI

Areas to watch: Middle East; Oil and Gold.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: all three markets have had a choppy day bouncing on what I believe to be the bottom, however, they are still nervous towards the ME crisis so watch the news for any additional escalation, but as each day passes the drama becomes somewhat watered and therefore less likely to dramatically move the markets; Charts are unclear but the PoM favours the rise; CR and ED is tame. The retraction in Oil price today further signifies that the markets have already dropped enough in regards to the present situation. On a small note, I'm surprised that the SB companies have the FTSE marked down by 10 - 15pts.

Will I bet? I fancy a Northern dabble. Will be watching the markets open from 7am onwards for additional clues.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Wednesday 19th July 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5681, down 19pts [0.34%]
Range: 5712 - 5658.

Last 5 TD: down 3.02%.
OTM: -2.60%.

DOW
10799, up 51pts [0.48%].

Last 5 TD: down 3.04%.
OTM: -3.16%

S&P 500

1236.86, up 2.37pts [0.19%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.73%.
OTM: -2.63%.

News items of note:
Yahoo Finance - Gilts in the UK took a hit on Tuesday after data showed a sharp rise in inflation and sparked fears that the Bank of England may gear up to raise interest rates soon.

The Office for National Statistics said consumer prices rose 0.3 per cent on the month in June.

This took the annual rate up to a nine-month high of 2.5 per cent.

By mid-day in London, the yield on the two-year gilt rose 3.8 basis points to 4.739 per cent and the yield on the 10-year gilt added 2.1bp to 4.639 per cent.

Jonathan Loynes, chief European economist at Capital Economics said that the consumer price inflation figures ”were undeniably disappointing.” But he pointed out that that two thirds of the rise in headline inflation was due to to food and energy prices, which “softened the blow considerably.”

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesdays showed no clear direction but did slightly favour the rise over the fall. Wednesdays, no clue as to direction.

The PoM System: +2.5, interpretation: a rise. Note: the PoM system has no ability to factor in the Middle East crisis.

Companies reporting:
GUS [Should be mixed]
Rio Tinto [One of my favourites. Tomorrow is looking a tad shaky]
Note: several major US companies reporting tomorrow. The results of which will impact on the UK.

Economic Data:
09:30 BOE minutes [should be interesting].

Areas to watch: Middle East [not expecting any change until Tuesday]; Oil, Gold, and the Banking sector.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the European markets continue to favour the Bear market whereas the US counterparts appear neutral in manner; any major ME news will be the ultimate market mover; charts are unclear, but as it stands the PoM system still favours the rise; UK CD is moderate, but there will be a large influence from the US Bank sector results; the BOE minutes could rattle the market; in all, an unpredictable day.

Early gut feeling: I still fancy the rise.

Will I bet? Yesterday the FTSE failed to inspire; as it stands, tomorrow looks a tad more promising, but there's a lot of unknown factors that could easily switch the markets direction. Experience tells me to leave it alone and look to other areas that are more predictable. Oil and Gold for a short, HSBC and Barclays for a Long.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Thursday 20th July 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5778, up 96pts [1.69%] Well over par for a single days climb, but not enough by its self to signal a short tomorrow.
Range: 5712 - 5658.

Last 5 TD: down 1.39%.

DOW
11011, up 212pts [1.96%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.02%.
OTM: -1.20%

S&P 500

1259.81, up 22.95pts [1.86%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.12%.
OTM: -0.78%.

News items of note:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rallied on Wednesday, realizing their biggest one-day percentage gain in three weeks, as the Federal Reserve chairman's comments on inflation suggested the central bank may be close to ending two years of interest-rate increases.

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke told the U.S. Senate Banking Committee he saw core inflation moderating in the coming quarters.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesdays had no clue as to direction. Thursdays are too distorted.

The PoM System: +0.75, interpretation: favours the weak rise. Note: the PoM system has no ability to factor in the Middle East crisis.

Companies reporting:
Boots.
Capita.

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Retail Sales Jun
19;00 US FOMC Minutes.

Areas to watch: Middle East; Oil, Gold.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: between 3 and 4pm the FTSE rose 66pts, the highest hourly rise this year; both US markets are now top heavy in the short term and therefore data favours a retraction, although I still believe there's still some steam left; charts have no indication but the PoM favours a weak rise rather then a dip; as it stands, news in general is positive, which the market thrives on, but this can quickly change if there's any further escalation in the ME; CR and ED should be positive. Oil is still declining in price. This is a positive move for the markets, but don't expect it to last. I'm Anticipating oil rising again early next week.

Will I bet? What a wonderful day; my Banking longs did well as did my shorts for Gold and Oil, likewise a FTSE Binary. Tomorrow I still favour a FTSE 'up on the day' Binary. As it stands, expecting the FTSE to open up strong, drop, and then finish on a weak up. Lets see.

If you are betting:
make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Friday 21st July 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 5770, down 7pts [0.12%]
Range: 5785 - 5756.

Last 5 TD: up 0.12%.
OTM: -1.03%.

DOW
10928, down 83pts [0.76%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.78%.
OTM: -1.95%

S&P 500
1249.13, down 10.68pts [0.85%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.57%.
OTM: -1.63%.

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursdays were too distorted. Fridays shows a wiliness to rise.

The PoM System: -1.75, interpretation: favours the weak dip. Note: the PoM system has no ability to factor in the Middle East crisis.

Companies reporting:
Cable & Wireless.

Economic Data:
09:30 UK GDP

Areas to watch: Middle East; as anticipated, Oil and Gold are still shuffling South, but I feel that we have almost hit the bottom for both commodities so tomorrow or Monday will either see little movement or a decent reverse.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: US markets shuffled South with a laconic momentum due to Bears slightly out numbering the Bulls; It's the weekend ahead and the big investors will most likely hold back due to the looming ME crisis, so a heavy Northern move is not anticipated; charts favour the rise whereas the PoM favours a weak dip; CR and ED is tame. SB companies have the FTSE opening down between 15-20pts.

Will I bet? Waited all day for the market to dip, and when it did the Binary odds were to dire to contemplate for a UOTD. Just as well.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Monday 24th July 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5719, down 51pts [0.89%]
Range: 5770 - 5700.

Last 5 TD: up 0.23%.
OTM: -1.91%.

DOW
10868, down 59pts [0.55%].

Last 5 TD: up 1.22%.
OTM: -2.50%

S&P 500
1240.29, down 8.84pts [0.71%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.35%.
OTM: -2.33%.

News items of note:

None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Fridays showed a wiliness to rise, but didn't. Mondays favour a stagnation, which I doubt.

The PoM System: @evens.

Companies reporting:
Reckitt Benckiser [expecting decent results]
Vodafone

In all, a very busy week ahead for the FTSE and US markets with over 25 top class companies reporting. Expect plenty of volatility.

Economic Data:
None.

Areas to watch: Middle East; Israel have called up reservists, massed troops on the border of Lebanon and have quoted as saying that Iran are hand in hand with the Hizbullah. Expect the coming week to be somewhat interesting. How the market will react depends on whether the conflict escalates and its effect on the bordering countries. Oil and Gold are set for a rise. The retailing sector looks a tad promising as its also due for a rise.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the markets will shuffle with early morning market sentiment; any major ME news will be the main market mover; no clues form charts or the PoM; CR results may move the market North.

Will I bet? Yup. A brave Long for the week.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Tuesday 25th July 2006

Monday's results:

Close: 5833, up 114pts [2.00%]
Range: Data N/A

Last 5 TD: up 2.34%.
OTM: +0.08%.

DOW
11051, up 182pts [1.68%].

Last 5 TD: up 2.83%.
OTM: -0.82%

S&P 500
1260.91, up 20.62pts [1.66%].

Last 5 TD: up 2.15%.
OTM: -0.67%.

News items of note:
Worth a read: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060724/ap_on_bi_ge/counterfeit_cannabis_3

If this company ever registers for the DOW you can be pretty damned sure that the market will hit an all time high!

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Mondays favoured a stagnation, which I doubted. Tuesdays a rise.

The PoM System: +0.50, interpretation: a weak rise.

Companies reporting:
BHP
BP
JM
Lonmin
Severn trent
Vodafone
Yell

Economic Data:
None.

Areas to watch: Middle East; Oil and Gold are set to reverse either tomorrow or Wednesday.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE had a party today and the US markets joined in, early morning should see an element of profit taking; charts still fancy the rise and like wise the PoM; CR should be positive on the whole and no ED.

Will I bet? Still Long for the week.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Wednesday 26th July 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5851, up 17pts [0.30%]
Range: 5872 - 5825

Last 5 TD: up 2.98%.
OTM: +0.38%.

DOW
11103, up 52pts [0.48%].

Last 5 TD: up 2.82%.
OTM: -0.34%

S&P 500
1268.88, up 7.97pts [0.63%].

Last 5 TD: up 2.59%.
OTM: -0.04%.

All three markets have now breached the five day overly high point; this alone is not enough to go Short, but data strongly recommends that you consider it.

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesdays stated a rise. Wednesdays late trading predict hesitation and therefore favours the dip.

The PoM System: -1.50, interpretation: a weak fall.

Companies reporting:
Glaxosmithkline
Northern Rock
Reuters

Economic Data:
11:00 UK CBI Industrial Trends.

Areas to watch: Middle East is losing impetuous in regards to market effect; as predicted Gold reversed today and there's a strong change of a further rise tomorrow; strong possibility that Oil will rise tomorrow.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: as hoped the markets continued to rally adding a further days gain; market news is mixed, but overall positive; charts and PoM favour a dip; CR news is anticipated as being positive, ED is tame; SB companies have the FTSE pegged as opening up between 18 -24pts.

Will I bet? Still Long for the week. There's a chance that the market will dip tomorrow, so stop gap adjusted to 5824.

Yours

UK

Hello UKHero

I just thought I'd let you know that I still read your market prognosis on a daily basis - it is appreciated!!

Ta