The FTSE 2006

rav700 said:
The ftse has done well nearly at major support lets see if it breaks it today........ :confused:

FTSE @ 5474 - maybe worth a nibble on the long side...gone long on the NDX and SPX today.

chump said:
Long FTSE all my asset worth ...stop 3,000 target infinity ;) ...

Sounds about right for the current trading environment! I am getting used to my account balance moving by several zeros up and down on a daily basis.... :arrowu: :arrowd: :rolleyes:

downbytheriver7 said:
FTSE @ 5474 - maybe worth a nibble on the long side...gone long on the NDX and SPX today.

Llooking good finally, need some follow through and a decent close, not just *another* late day sell-off!

few quid in the bank after that- bit the worse for wear.

reckon tommorrow will be up in the afternoon.- will wait until this 4th wave completes before going short again.

there is a good few quid to be made in this market- in about a months time- then I will bet the house

The FTSE, Wednesday 14th June 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5519, down 101pts [1.80%]
Range: 5620 - 5519.

Last 5 TD: down 2.64%.
OTM: -3.57%.

DOW:
10706, down 86pts [0.80%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.72%.
OTM: -4.20%

S&P 500
1223.68, down 12.72pts [1.03%].

Last 5 TD: down 3.21%.
OTM: -3.68%.

News items of note:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks opened lower on Tuesday after a report showed core producer prices rose more than expected, increasing concerns the Federal Reserve may increase interest rates and slow economic growth.

A drop in U.S. stocks followed sharp declines in Europe and Asia amid investors' worries that rising rates will weaken growth, slow consumer spending and squeeze corporate profits.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil fell more than 2.5 percent to below $69 a barrel Tuesday as risk-averse investors fled from commodity markets, spooked by fears that interest rates would rise to combat inflation.

Prices of industrial and precious metals also fell sharply and equity markets dropped. A flow of money from investment funds has helped send oil and some other commodities to record or decades highs in 2006.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday stated a drop. Wednesday a weak rise.

The PoM System: +0.50, interpretation: a weak possibility of a rise.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
Antofagasta

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Unemployment Apr
09:30 UK Average Earnings Apr

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the markets continue to slide further south and one has to wonder just how far down they will go, 5400 by June 28th, or back up to 5950. Markets after hours have yet to show any inclination of a turnaround so tomorrow may be just another mirror image of today; charts and PoM favour the weak rise rather than another heavy decline; CR and ED are both expected to be positive, but not enough to spur the market to reverse today's loses.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? went a SB short later in the day and chickened out when the market showed signs of reversing, Durr! Tip of the day: don't chase the markets, go with your data. The jury is still out on what I'll do tomorrow.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

U K Hero

Would it be possible to explain what this PoM is all about ?......or point me in the direction of a post that explains the workings.

cheers C V

The FTSE, Thursday 15th June 2006

Wednesday's results:

Close: 5506, down 12pts [0.23%]
Range: 5620 - 5519.

Last 5 TD: down 3.52%.
OTM: -3.81%.

DOW:
10706, up 110pts [1.03%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.03%.
OTM: -3.16%

S&P 500
1230.04, up 6.36pts [0.52%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.08%.
OTM: -3.68%.

News items of note:
Telegraph - 'Britain's high streets are still suffering, the latest figures from House of Fraser and Woolworths show.

Same store sales since January at sweets-to-DVDs retailer Woolworths fell 6.7pc, and 2.4pc at department stores group House of Fraser. Both warned the retail market would stay challenging.

The figures come shortly after May data from the British Retail Consortium that showed sales rising 3.6pc on the previous year, offering some hope for the high street. However, the rise appears to have been driven by sales of big ticket items such as flat screen televisions ahead of the World Cup, while traditional high street fare has yet to recover.

Woolworths said in a statement: "We anticipate that the retail environment will continue to be challenging."

Take note of the last word in the news item above. Whenever I see the word 'Challenging' in a company report I know there's hard times ahead and thus the shares are best avoided.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday stated a rise. Thursday has no strong indication but favours the rise above the fall.

The PoM System: +5.75, interpretation: a strong possibility of a rise.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
None.

Economic Data:
00:30 UK RICS house prices
09:30 UK Retail Sales [the one to watch]

Areas to watch: the retail sector; Oil, due for a bounce; miners, also due for a bounce.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the worm turns, or to be more specific, the US markets headed North albeit late in the day and to late to save the ailing FTSE. SB companies have the FTSE opening up by a pithy 5pts, this tells a story; charts are not clear but favour the rise, whereas the PoM has a strong rise factor; no CR but the ED for retail sales may be the fly in the ointment.

In regards to the PoM result: I've added in a high negative factor for the retail sales ED being poor, but the result is still high. Lets see tomorrow.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? Already Long.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

counter_violent said:
U K Hero

Would it be possible to explain what this PoM is all about ?......or point me in the direction of a post that explains the workings.

cheers C V

Try the post '228' for a explanation.

In general, it's my own tool which I use to best assist me in deceiding the FTSE's direction. It is not commercial.

Good trading.

UK

my thoughts for tomorrow - should see completetion of wave 4 -the market was quite flat today -this is typical of 4th wave - almost appears to be forming a triangle-reckon the market will go up-

Thinking of going short- after this -but on Friday is US non farm payroll figs!! probably safer to sit on the sidelines.

ukhero said:
Try the post '228' for a explanation.

In general, it's my own tool which I use to best assist me in deceiding the FTSE's direction. It is not commercial.

Good trading.

UK

Thanks for clearing that up UK

CV

"Thinking of going short- after this -but on Friday is US non farm payroll figs!! probably safer to sit on the sidelines."

Friday isn't payrolls, that always 1st Friday of the month....

Friday is expiry though.

Ithought that it was on the 3rd?

sorry it was a long time since I used to trade - apologies - memory not too good now

sean01 said:
Ithought that it was on the 3rd?

sorry it was a long time since I used to trade - apologies - memory not too good now

think we get a few days of short covering....action is looking good

Hi Down - I think FTSE should come off - but I think that the dow may still have a bit more to go tonight- depends how it closes

Might go short in the morning or maybe tonight - this will be a bet to nothing.

Last edited: