The FTSE 2006

downbytheriver7 said:
Dont fancy trying to catch it going back up from here?

if the Dow sees a strong finish I'm long right from the word go tomorrow morning. this sell off looks overdone in my view.

this was your target area or very close to it...do you fancy it?

htp80 said:
i missed this post. you could have caught it just right.

Got a little bounce but closed my short way toooo early yet again, missed about 30pts....

Actually put on a small long @ 6009 (stop 5995) and off for a beer or two.

downbytheriver7 said:
Got a little bounce but closed my short way toooo early yet again, missed about 30pts....

Actually put on a small long @ 6009 (stop 5995) and off for a beer or two.

Well closed that for a 10pt gain - its paid for my beers and more :). Too much risk overnight for me. I fancy on a opening pop which if it fails to break 6040 I will be looking to short again stop 6060. Otherwise 6000 & 6020 looks like support/resistance on the long/downside.

Tempted on a NDX long if it gets to 1690 and a DAX long 5860 ish.

The FTSE, Wednesday 12th April 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 6016, down 50pts [0.83%].
Range: 6092 - 6012.

Last 5 TD: up 0.20%.
OTM: up 0.88%

The 6000 position is looking as difficult to hold as it was reaching it, and it wouldn't surprise me if we bounced between 5995 - 6095 until the end of April.

Tuesday's DOW:
11089, down 51pts [0.46%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.02%.
OTM: -0.17%.

Tuesday's S&P 500
1286.56, down 10.04pts [ 0.77%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.48%.
OTM: -0.63%.

Charts and data are telling me that the S&P [more so then the DOW] should see a small bounce tomorrow. Lets see.

News items of note:

NEW YORK/LONDON (Reuters) - The Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq:NDAQ - news) said on Tuesday it bought a near-15 percent stake in the London Stock Exchange (LSE.L), making it the LSE's biggest shareholder and raising speculation it may renew its pursuit of the London exchange.

The purchase comes a month after Nasdaq dropped a proposed 2.4-billion-pound, 9.50 pounds-a-share cash offer for the LSE, Europe's largest stock market.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday's charts were unclear. Wednesday's indicate a slim possibility of a rise.

The PoM System: +3.25, interpretation: favours a rise.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
GUS

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Unemployment Mar 5.0% 5.0%
09:30 UK Average earnings Feb 3.5% 3.6%
13:30 US Trade balance Feb -68.5bn -67.5bn
19:00 US Treasury budget

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the American markets headed South and the FTSE followed quickly behind; expect the FTSE to open up down a touch in the morning; miners and oil are beging to show signs of a potencial reverse, albeit more of a minor pause for breath; charts indicate a slim chance of a rise and the PoM result favours a rise.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? I'm concerned that the Oil and miners may reverse tomorrrow, but when in doublt go with your data. I'll go long.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

morning.

providing the early trade doesn't throw up any surprises l'll be going long this morning on the ftse aiming for 6040 - 6050.

htp80 said:
morning.

providing the early trade doesn't throw up any surprises l'll be going long this morning on the ftse aiming for 6040 - 6050.

scrap that. I'm went short at 6012 and closed for 14 pts. now out and waiting for further direction.

Peter6 said:
Long at 6000?

its not doing much at the moment. I'm waiting to see if it breaks 5990 before I make my next move. if it doesn't then long at 6000 sounds good as I still think this sell off is a little bit overdone.

htp80 said:
its not doing much at the moment. I'm waiting to see if it breaks 5990 before I make my next move. if it doesn't then long at 6000 sounds good as I still think this sell off is a little bit overdone.

Nibbled a small long on the DAX @ 5870 and looking at going long the FTSE shortly.

downbytheriver7 said:
Nibbled a small long on the DAX @ 5870 and looking at going long the FTSE shortly.

Umm we have been stuck around here for a few hours now, I feel a substantial move is coming one way or the other and I am favouring an upside move. Stops in place though!

downbytheriver7 said:
Umm we have been stuck around here for a few hours now, I feel a substantial move is coming one way or the other and I am favouring an upside move. Stops in place though!

Closed all my longs for a nice profit and flat again.

downbytheriver7 said:
Closed all my longs for a nice profit and flat again.

well done. has been a decent day so far. making money on the way down and on the way up. don't have any positions open at the moment but feel there is probably one more trade left in the day yet.

The FTSE, Thursday 13th April 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 6000, down 15pts [0.26%].
Range: 6020 - 5974.

Last 5 TD: down 0.71%.
OTM: up 0.62%.

We need a show of hands: are there any more profit takers left on the floor?

Wednesday's DOW:
11130, up 40pts [0.36%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.97%.
OTM: 0.19%

Tuesday's S&P 500
1288.12, up 1.56pts [ 0.12%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.79%.
OTM: down 0.51%

News items of note:

Telegraph - 'The unemployment rate jumped by more than double expectations last month to reach its highest point in over two years.

The number of people claiming unemployment benefits increased by 12,600 compared with analysts average expectation of a 6,500 rise. The claimant count was 937,600 last month which represented 3pc of the workforce - the highest rate since October 2003.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's indicated a slim possibility of a rise. Thursday's have no clear indication.

The PoM System: +3.15, interpretation: favours a rise.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
None

Economic Data:
None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data:
the American markets rise did little to lift the FTSE out of the doldrums, expect the market to open up with little change; charts are unclear but the PoM still favours a rise; no company results or economic news; In all, should be an interesting day.

Historically, the last trading day prior to the bank holiday has seen six up days versus 2 down for an average rise of 0.74% against a 0.28% down.

Early gut feeling: the odds and data still favour a Long. I see a decent rise or a stagnation.

Will I bet? I'm still concerned that the Oil and miners will continue their reverse tomorrrow, albeit small, and if they do it will be a close call as to whether they will drag the FTSE a touch further south. Favour a Long with the FTSE but will be watching the markets closely before commiting. Went Long with the DAX yesterday and holding a 5pt loss.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

downbytheriver7 said:
Umm tempted for a long here 6000 with a stop at 5992

made a couple of points on the way up this morning. but missed out on the pullback to 5990. cant see much happening now untill US open.

htp80 said:
made a couple of points on the way up this morning. but missed out on the pullback to 5990. cant see much happening now untill US open.[/QUOTE

eeked out a few more gains but going flat....all abit choppy and up and down the last few days...

Happy easter all.

The FTSE is closed Friday and Monday, and I need a much needed rest.

Did well today on the DAX and FTSE, but I think DBTR7 did better.

See you Tuesday and good trading to all.

UK