The FTSE 2006

blimey, amazingly volatile week on the FTSE, finished for the week & flat now, so really don't care if it hits 6000 or 5500.

I'll second that Morris. My best ever day trading the FTSE on Wednesday, and it was all wiped out today. Feel shattered and need a beer...

The FTSE, Monday 6th March 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5858, up 25pts [0.44%].
Range: 5803 - 5864.

Last 5 TD: down 1.8pts.
On the month: up 67pts [1.16%].

Friday's DOW:
11,025, down 3.92pts [-0.04%].

Last 5 TD: down 40.26pts [-0.36%].
On the month: up 28.18pts [0.30%]

Friday's S&P 500
1287.23, down 1.91pts [-0.15%]

News items of note:

Telegraph - 'Crunch time for Footsie winners and losers. Cable & Wireless, Daily Mail & General Trust and Rentokil Initial look set to be dropped from the FTSE100 index when it undergoes its quarterly review this Wednesday.

C&W, the troubled telecoms group, was the 108th largest company when the markets closed on Friday, while DMGT, the newspaper publisher, and Rentokil, the services group, were ranked at 104 and 103 respectively. The changes will be announced on Wednesday and take effect on March 20.'

Worth a read:
British economy to grow 2.5% in 2006
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/060303/214/g5hpt.html

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's indicated a rise. Monday's are debatable.

The PoM System: -3, interpretation: a fall, but recommends caution.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
HSBC Holdings
Vitec
WSP

Economic Data:
None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW tumbled approx 80pts in the last two hours of trading which has yet to effect the FTSE; SB companies, prior to opening, have the S&P 5oo pegged as down at 5.7pts! Not sure as to why; comapny results are tame; charts are unclear and the PoM system favours a down.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? Not until the I see which hat the FTSE wears in the morning as the Markets have been a little too volitile of late. So its the fence for me.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

dc2000 said:
no prizes for guessing which side of the fence Im on this morning :LOL:

actually, I was not sure on which side of the fence you were, I was, and still am, short but you may see it differently

do you still have a position in the ftse?

Last edited:
I can't see what is going to spoil the bulls party at the moment, all dips are being bought very rapidly.

Morris said:
I can't see what is going to spoil the bulls party at the moment, all dips are being bought very rapidly.

Morris, I'm hoping that the US opening will pull the reigns in on the bulls!

If they don't it's going to be expensive!

Actually, I'd be looking to short when the bears here have given up and start buying....

Goodnight vienna -- in spite of all the bullish m&a news coming out of the ftse, I don't think it will be able to remain at these levels as interest rate worries start to grip the states. Perfect storm??

The FTSE, Tuesday 7th March 2006

Monday's results:
Close: 5897, up 39pts [0.67%].
Range: 5858 - 5924. it hit a five year high!

Last 5 TD: up 21pts [0.37].
On the month: up 106pts [1.83%]. We're getting very heavy here for the first four TD of the month.

Monday's DOW:
10,958, down 63pts [-0.59%].

Last 5 TD: down 138pts [-1.25%].
On the month: down 34pts [0.31%]

Monday's S&P 500
1278.26, down 8.97pts [-0.70%]

News items of note:

Worth a read:
Factory orders, pending home sales slide in January
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060306/bs_nm/economy_dc

FT.com - 'Gilts awaiting Bank of England decision. UK government bonds were marking time on Monday with the market waiting mainly for the Bank of England’s decision on interest rates later in the week. All 40 City economists polled by Reuters predicted that the bank would hold rates at 4.5 per cent when the decision comes on Thursday.

Hopes of a cut in the near term have been damped by a string of data released in in the past couple of weeks showing strength in a number of areas of the UK economy. While 25 of the 40 economists still think the next move in rates will be down, the market may have to wait until May for a decision, when the Bank’s rate setting committee will be armed with the next quarterly inflation report.

Worth a read:
Oil traders nervous ahead of key meetings
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/060306/94/g5p7b.html

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday's were debatable. Tuesday's indicate a drop.

The PoM System: -7, interpretation: a confident drop.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
Admiral
Aegis
Ashted
Axon
Easyjet
Jardine Lloyd Thompson
Premier Foods
Resolution

Economic Data:
None.

Areas to watch: Oil.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE shuffled confidently ahead today thanks to HSBC and Vodaphone whilst the troubled American markets took another nose dive, but I don't believe the UK party will continue tomorrow; charts and PoM agree on a drop; a mixed bag of company results which, overall, should prove positive.

Early gut feeling: I'll go with the PoM result.

Will I bet? Yup. Looking to going Short. Not expecting much, and to be honest, the UK market is looking remarkably resilient to its American cousins, therefore, I intend to bet small.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

ukhero said:
The FTSE, Tuesday 7th March 2006
The PoM System: -7, interpretation: a confident drop.
Early gut feeling: I'll go with the PoM result.
Will I bet? Yup. Looking to going Short. Not expecting much, and to be honest, the UK market is looking remarkably resilient to its American cousins,
therefore, I intend to bet small.
UK
Futures currently down around 14pts following the pm fall in the US.
Potential weakness down to 5825.
However if it should drop below 5790 then we could revisit 5700.

Opened a full 17 points below the pre-market
Not bad for 5 minutes - if you were short.

easy explanation...look at the weekly FTSE100 chart..beautiful the way the gap got closed.Got suckered in at the top yesterday arghhhh...learnt a lesson as how gap on the footsie do get filled

cabrito said:
easy explanation...look at the weekly FTSE100 chart..beautiful the way the gap got closed.Got suckered in at the top yesterday arghhhh...learnt a lesson as how gap on the footsie do get filled

glad i held my short from yesterday which was very much in the red - got out today at breakeven nearly and have tried a small long 5847 stop 5838 which looks to be triggered soon anyhow!

sorry missed you post mark

I am biased short very biased I will take my next breather at 5780 and wait for another entry

downbytheriver7 said:
glad i held my short from yesterday which was very much in the red - got out today at breakeven nearly and have tried a small long 5847 stop 5838 which looks to be triggered soon anyhow!

it's developing into a boxing match where one side is receiving as much as it is handing out.Im still staying long as looking at the volumes drying up today it may go up a bit

Like DC I'm short and looking for 5750 as an initial target.
Could possibly see a bounce back up to around 5870 if Wall St rallies this afternoon before it resumes a southerly direction.

kriesau said:
Like DC I'm short and looking for 5750 as an initial target.
Could possibly see a bounce back up to around 5870 if Wall St rallies this afternoon before it resumes a southerly direction.

Yeap my long is a very short term trade, a bounce before going short (again) hopefully.

aspex said:
ukhero,
Where can I get the PoM system explained?
TIA

See post 228 on page 23 of this forum for additional information.

The PoM system is currently running @ 83% [10 out of twelve predictions correct so far this year] were the system indicates, at least, a minus or a plus factor of 4.

UK