The FTSE 2006

The FTSE, Thursday 16th March 2006

Wednesdays results:
Close: 5965, up 14pts [0.24%].
Range: 5950 - 5980.

Another day where the FTSE is helped out of bed by the American markets only to sit back down again.

Last 5 TD: up 152pts [2.59%]. looking particularly top heavy for this period.
On the month: up 173pts [2.97%].

Wednesday's DOW:
11,209, up 58pts [0.52%].

Last 5 TD: up 204pts [1.85%].
On the month: up 216pts [1.97%].

Wednesday's S&P 500
1303.02, up 5.54pts [0.43%].

Last 5 TD: up 24.57pts [1.91%].
On the month: up 22.38pts [1.74%].

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's were unclear and likewise Thursday's has no strong indication.

The PoM System: -0.3, interpretation: a weak possibility of a dip.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
888 Holdings
Alfred McAlpine
BPP Holdings
Charter
Corus
Gondola Holdings
Laird
Prudential
Vernalis

Economic Data:
00:30 UK RICS Housing Market Survey Feb
09:30 UK Retail Sales

The FTSE Wednesday based on present news and data: the DOW continues to surge ahead as the FTSE wanders around wondering what hat to wear; charts are again unclear and another weak indication of a dip from the PoM result; company results overall should be positive which will add an element of imputous, but Retail sales is the one to twitch the market.

Early gut feeling: neutral

Will I bet? Nope. Same as yesterday, it's neither strong one way or another.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Tomorrow's Expiry

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at the effect of tomorrows expiry on the FTSE 100? Just your comments would be interesting.

I'm looking at taking a short position tomorrow AM anyone agree?

SirFrancis said:
Would anyone like to hazard a guess at the effect of tomorrows expiry on the FTSE 100? Just your comments would be interesting.

I'm looking at taking a short position tomorrow AM anyone agree?

If you do wait until after the expiry at 10:30, could be a squeeze before then, especially if the US holds these gains.

The FTSE, Friday 17th March 2006

Thursdays results:
Close: 5993, up 28pts [0.47%]. It's in a key position for the 6000 fence but looking tired.
Range: 5951 - 5995.

Last 5 TD: up 137pts [2.32%]. looking particularly top heavy for this period.
On the month: up 201pts [3.45%].

Thursdays DOW:
11,253, up 43pts [0.39%].

Last 5 TD: up 281pts [2.54%].
On the month: up 260pts [2.36%].

Wednesday's S&P 500
1305.33, up 2.31pts [0.18%].

Last 5 TD: up 33.15pts [2.58%].
On the month: up 24.69pts [1.92%]. Still lagging behind the other Indices, but has made ground over the 5 day period.

News items of note:

Telegraph - 'Retail sales rose slightly last month but the sharp fall in January was greater than initially reported, according to official statistics.

February sales were 0.5pc higher than the previous month, data from the Office for National Statistics showed, compared to analysts’ average forecast of 0.4pc. However, the month-on-month fall in January’s sales was revised down to 1.6pc from 1.3pc.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's had no strong indication. Friday's anticipates an early morning dip.

The PoM System: -0.4, interpretation: a weak possibility of a dip.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:

Chaucer Holdings
Legal and General

Economic Data:
None.

Note: MARCH TRIPLE WITCHING TOMORROW [MTW].

The FTSE Friday based on present news and data: the DOW and S&P continue to surge ahead whilst the FTSE bumbles along, but tomorrow morning it may change, I expect the FTSE will do its own jig in regards to the MTW; charts and PoM have no strong indication - just as well, historicaly the third Friday of the month can be very volatile; company news is tame.

Early gut feeling: an interesting day.

Will I bet? Not unless I see a large swing one way or another.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

dooby,

it was quarterly option contracts expiry date, on such days the market can make wild swings, depending on where the "big money" want to close the options

Last edited:
mark twain uk said:
dooby,

it was quarterly option contracts expiry date, on such days the market can make wild swings, depending on what the "big money" want to close the options

Will be interesting to see what support exists at 6000, there's still a few gaps to fill from the last week or so. Staying short for now.

the fall from 6040 to 6000 was so predictable that I think only few people took advantage of it, when something is too good to be true you tend to think twice

evotrade,

the best strategy is to place a stop loss at B/E and then let it run for a while, you may get a nice fall early next week

mark twain uk said:
the fall from 6040 to 6000 was so predictable that I think only few people took advantage of it, when something is too good to be true you tend to think twice
Mmm......well I went short April at 6030 so I'm currently sitting on 25pts.
Can't decide whether to close out and take a profit or let it run into Monday to see if there is some further mileage to be gained.

Last edited:
mark twain uk said:
evotrade,

the best strategy is to place a stop loss at B/E and then let it run for a while, you may get a nice fall early next week

oops (evotrade) is actually me, must have been an old login. i closed the short i put on @ 6040 around 5994 and have left a short position with an average of about 5990. I'll probably put a stop at 6020 and if that gets taken out wait for the next level to short, not convinced on the long side from these levels but might play a small hedge with a long on the NDX and stay short the FTSE

A pullback to 5900 or 5850 still leaves the FTSE looking good and will provide more of a base going forward.

Hi
managed to get a short from 6040 yesterday now moved to b/e. i think possibly a bit more of a pullback early next week. also looking at shorting dow early next week.