The exit of a trade: how? when? where?

what is your favoured entry/exit strategy?

• single entry and single exit

Votes: 61 48.8%
  • single entry and scaling out to fixed targets

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • single entry and scaling out as market turns

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • scaling in and single exit

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • scaling in and scaling out to fixed targets

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • scaling in and scaling out as market turns

Votes: 14 11.2%

• Total voters
exit?

So who managed to ride this all the way down? A fall for almost 500pts...

And if you exited somewhere in between, what made you or what signaled it?
Hindsight analyses allowed for this one.

Big charts is from DAX from last week (30-min candles).
Other two charts are 5-min's from last three days, taken in a 2-day view.

Attachments

• dax_30min.jpg
    dax_30min.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 223
  • dax_5min_a.jpg
    dax_5min_a.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 187
  • dax_5min_b.jpg
    dax_5min_b.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 209
well now, fire

if you gave up this frenetic day trading and slipped on the old carpet slippers , woolly jumper and puffed your pipe with us sedate eod traders you'd have got in around 7925 and ridden it down without any swing high being breached and still be sitting comfortably :cheesy: (not that I did of course :LOL: )

good trading

jon

well now, fire

if you gave up this frenetic day trading and slipped on the old carpet slippers , woolly jumper and puffed your pipe with us sedate eod traders you'd have got in around 7925 and ridden it down without any swing high being breached and still be sitting comfortably :cheesy: (not that I did of course :LOL: )

good trading

jon

oi!!! you discriminatin against daytraders..........

well now, fire

good trading

jon

Something tells me I must cut my teeth on intra day, get profitable, build enough of a bankroll to have the wider stops required for EOD trading without taking on too much risk (as a % of equity). I intend to do this by autumn. Big moves!

Something tells me I must cut my teeth on intra day, get profitable, build enough of a bankroll to have the wider stops required for EOD trading without taking on too much risk (as a % of equity). I intend to do this by autumn. Big moves!

lurker

not sure that's the right way round - i confine day trading to my play account (which needs constant topping up :( ) and i find it much harder and much more risky than eod. maybe that's just me.

cheers

jon

ps: sorry, jac :LOL:

well now, fire

good trading

jon

good point there, but I wouldn't actually sleep well at night having a position open.
especially on dax with the current volatility :confused:
that's why it doesn't suit my personality... I like to get in and out of a trade rather quickly... the longer I stay in the more tension builds up and the more uncomfortable I start to feel. But that's just me.

lurker

not sure that's the right way round - i confine day trading to my play account (which needs constant topping up :( ) and i find it much harder and much more risky than eod. maybe that's just me.

cheers

jon

ps: sorry, jac :LOL:

You have a point. If I had been EOD trading, I'd have been 'bullish on the Dow in a bull market' for the last few weeks, Livermore style, and cleaned up.

Taking profits?

This post is a copy from a reply in the journal of lurkerlurker, but it's very relevant in the discussion that's taking place in this thread.

Excellent point. Will change that now. Profit to be 2x stop, and no trade if that isn't reasonable. Where profit can be 3x stop safely, this should be done instead.

However, you will never know in real time whether the profit of a trade can be 3x the stop size or not. Perhaps it will travel in the right direction for 5 times as far as usually, or it will travel 3x as far, then retrace half of the move and then continue to as far as 7 times the stop!

If you want to analyze your system thorougly you need to determine - for each trade - how far the market goes in the right direction after you entered it, before turning back towards your entry. Then you plot this into frequency diagrams. Then you make statistics. You get results, e.g.: 90% of my winning trades travel on average 10 points. 60% travel 15 points and 33% travel 40 points. (These are cumulative percentages).

Then you need to decide what to do next:

1) Will you exit the trade when you feel the market has moved enough in your favour without a fixed target? Then you will need to have strict rules about what action (price or any other indicator) you'd be looking for to exit. Making up for the loss of a previous trade is not a valid reason.

2) Will you exit at the minimum price level where most of your winning trades go to (in my example 10 points)? Hence taking no gambles, but leaving in a big number of trades (one third) a lot of points on the table.

3) Will I scale out or not?

4) Will I move my stop after a certain price level, and trail the price or leave the stop at a fixed price and set a limit order for targets?

5) What risk:reward do I need on average to maintain profit in the end with my current win ratio (of xx,xx %)

A lot questions that won't be solved easily. They require a lot of testing, papertrading, annotating, reviewing and analzying.

Voters

First of all, thanks everybody for voting on the poll.
40 Votes is more than I had expected. The poll remains open for anybody who still wished to vote. But perhaps we can get some comments from the majority. It's quite clear that around 50% of the traders prefer a single entry & single exit method. The other 50% have different opinions there is no "second place" in this poll.

So why is it that we prefer to get in & out at the same time with whole of our position?
Scalpers will definitely trade this way. Getting in quickly and getting out even faster.

However, with exiting whole of our position at once are we not leaving profits on the table by definition? Unless we always manage to pick the exact point where price reverses and turns back, which we obviously don't... (those who do please stand up and come forward :p)

Wouldn't it seem sensible to leave a small position open till EOD? I guess people will argue that there is always the possibility of re-entry later on. Yes, but that means increased risk, more commissions, a new possibility to lose money rather than stay in a position with a safe stop at breakeven and have a "trade for free".

I'm not saying scaling out is a better method. In fact, a lot of my own testing has proved not at all conclusive. Yes, in some days it works. In other days it doesn't. But that's the way it is with about every element in this business, right?

Scale in on trend days, single entry and exit otherwise

Your testing is inconclusive. I am not aware of your methods, but would suggest that on trend days scaling out works better than on ranging days. In those cases, you should have bigger profit targets and tighter stops on a trend day, and there are many ways of defining what a trend day is. If you place a trade an hour or more after the open, you should know if there is a strong trend. On those days, be more ambitious with your targets, and perhaps leave a position on as one of your "free trades"

On ranging days, or before news, perhaps if you wish to exit some of your position you should exit it all. On these days, if you are exiting it will be because either your target was hit (which was placed at a sensible level before emotion was involved in the trade), or because you took a discretionary exit (in which case if you are sure enough to cover, you must be sure enough to pull it all).

I think it all depends on your tolerance for risk and the percentage of your trade you leave on. If you leave on a 1/4 of a position with a breakeven stop you are giving yourself a chance at profits with little risk. I would argue that leaving as much as half on in a non trend day either suggests greed, or a weak target setting system

Your target setting should be informed by backtesting. If you consistently find trades continue in your favour after your target is hit, then perhaps you should consider revising that method. If you leave half on and the trade continues to move if your favour, by definition you are leaving profits on the table. Of course we can't pick tops or bottoms exactly on a trade, but scaling out expects the remaining part of the trade to hit nearer the bottom than the, ipso facto "safe" exit. I'm not too sure that scaling out is such a good idea.

However, scaling in appeals. I think that if a trend day has been identified, adding on pullbacks can be a lucrative and low risk form of trading. Good pullback entries can have extremely tight stops. If the market pulls back to a S/R level (or even a moving average), you should be entering within a few points of the rejection of that level. If the market turns and goes through that level, that will be a clear signal to exit the entire position. If you add a half size, or in some circumstances double up, the risk will be quite low in comparison to the reward.

You do risk taking small profits on trades which move against you as soon as you scale in, and this is why I recommend doing this on trend days only. This method isn't suitable for me, so I voted with the majority. However, when I go back to £2pp and higher it will be quite rare for me to put the full position on at once. There are some trending days where adding on a pullback to S/R or adding when price respects a 100 minute moving average on the YM would have been rather profitable indeed, more so than keeping a smaller initial stake on all day.

Of course, adding to a trade changes the risk:reward. My own rules for adding to a trade state that:

1. The position should be in good profit
  2. A rejection of a higher (lower) S/R or EMA should be clear and confirmed by volume, $tick, or chart pattern
  3. If treated as a new trade in its own right, adding to the position should have favourable risk:reward.
  4. A very tight stop (usually half of the original SL) should be in place, and this is a signal to exit the entire trade, not just the new stake
  5. When adding further, ensure that stops are at breakeven, or at a profitable level where possible

The best advantage of scaling out from my perspective (issues with premature exits, panic exits, not keeping a cool head in a trade) is not having to worry. A 2 lot trade moves 10 points in your favour - you can take half off and move the remaining stop to BE. You are guaranteed +10, and you can take extra risk on the other half of the position. No stress - if you are right and the trade keeps moving, you get +20 initially and the distance between scaling out and your full exit. If you are wrong, the second part is a scratch, or you get a little slippage. You are still in profit.

Conversely, I prefer the thought of scaling in. You risk 1 lot with a good stop with good risk:reward on a trade. If you are right, you can risk more while never assuming more risk (if you have a BE stop on the first half, and a stop of half your open profit on the second half, you still can't lose). The times you are wrong, you lose 1 lot on a tight SL. In some trend days, there are opportunities to add a lot about 3 times in a day when the market moves overall 100 points. Scaled in, you can keep your risk low while taking close to an average of 40 pips per lot on 4 lots.

In summary, scaling out is good for the nervous trader, but can diminish profit potential (in every way I think about it). If scaling out can improve your profit potential, work on your target setting. Scaling in can be risky on range days, but can improve profit on a trend day.

Any thoughts?

Firewalker, although your testing is inconclusive, if you were to split the examples into trend and non trend days (using an indicator of trend which gives a signal before the first trade is taken on each day obviously), does your research support my hypothesis?

Thanks again for such an interesting thread. I will find this discussion and the points raised useful when I have earned the right to trade bigger.

Admitedly I'm still learning but I've found the following seems to work for me.

Resistance identified at $60.00
Entry at $60.02
Sell 50% at $60.10
Trail remainder at a .08

(the initial 50% sell off and the trailing amount change depending on the volatility of the stock)

To be honest though this is more for psychological reasons at the $60.10 point greed and fear start their war so I exit 50% confirming the trade as a winner (even if it falls back to entry and the trail triggers I'll still be up) and let the other 50% ride to satisfy my greedy impulses.

Thanks for the very elaborate in-depth post. You certainly mention a couple of very good points. I will reply to the other part of your post later on. Otherwise this post will get too long and people won't bother to read it anymore.

Your testing is inconclusive. I am not aware of your methods, but would suggest that on trend days scaling out works better than on ranging days. In those cases, you should have bigger profit targets and tighter stops on a trend day, and there are many ways of defining what a trend day is. If you place a trade an hour or more after the open, you should know if there is a strong trend. On those days, be more ambitious with your targets, and perhaps leave a position on as one of your "free trades"

Knowing when it's going to be a trend day or not would definitely make things much easier. But that's very hard to tell. I look for trending days after clearing an important resistance or support level. But price can keep trending nicely in one direction for more than one day too (like we saw on the recent plunge in the first week of June on markets like DAX & DOW). In trending days one good entry where you leave a small position on till EOD could help you make more profits in you would otherwise in a week of small ranging days. You are right obviously: in ranging days it's best not to scale out because price is stuck into certain price levels and reverses off those levels.

I would argue that leaving as much as half on in a non trend day either suggests greed, or a weak target setting system
That's definitely an interesting and straightforward comment. I'd like to hear some other opinions on this. It's not that easy though imo. I've seen DAX trend nicely just until US open (at that point the market is open for already 7 hours and 30 minutes, so you'd know a trend if there was one). But then all of a sudden the direction reverses and runs right back at your entry price. Then you sit there watching those profits melt away after you moved your stop to breakeven (or you could use another method obviously, like a stop under the previous swing low or pullback is probably more decent).

However I disagree that it necessarily means greed if you want to scale out in a ranging day. Price might be in a "flexible" range, or a broadening formation with whatever support or resistance you've got on your chart gets "bend".

Your target setting should be informed by backtesting. If you consistently find trades continue in your favour after your target is hit, then perhaps you should consider revising that method. If you leave half on and the trade continues to move if your favour, by definition you are leaving profits on the table. Of course we can't pick tops or bottoms exactly on a trade, but scaling out expects the remaining part of the trade to hit nearer the bottom than the, ipso facto "safe" exit. I'm not too sure that scaling out is such a good idea.
I can tell by the nature of your comment you have chewed on this. Glad to see and read this. I can't really comment much apart from acknowledge the fact that scaling out leaves points on the table per definition either way. Either your first target gets hit and you move your stop to BE or trail it and your second target gets hit at a better price it means you could've exited both at the best price. Or in the other case price homes back to your entry after your first target and you wish you had exited whole of your position at that price level.

This means that scaling out in theory is less profitable. However, consider these trades. For the sake of the example, suppose we have two equal parts of each 1 lot.

Method 1: scale out, first part at fixed 20 points, second part when you feel the move exhausted.
T1: long at 13500, target 1 @ 13520, target 2 @ 13550 = +70
T2: long 13500, target 1 @ 13520, target 2 @ 13500 = +20
T3: short 13700, target 1 @ 13680, price moves to 13670 but suddenly reverses to 13690 and then plunges to 13650 where you exit into what looks like a potential selling climax = +80
Total of the tree trades = +170 points

Method 2: no scaling out, trailing stop or if you feel the move exhausted
T1: long 13500, targets @ 13530 = +60
T2: long 13500, trailing stopped at 13515 = +30
T3: short 13700, you are tempted to take profits at 13670 but you don't, however you move the stop up (or trail it) and get out at 13690 = +20
Total from 3 trades = +110 points

I agree that this isn't a complete comparison of a strategy. Nor am I advocating scaling out. I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure any trader won't let 50 points profit go back to 0. So he or she will move up the stop or trail price. But what if that 50 point profit could've been 300 in an extremely trending day? Then I can imagine you'd be happy you had left (even a very small part) of your position on.

Conversely, I prefer the thought of scaling in. You risk 1 lot with a good stop with good risk:reward on a trade. If you are right, you can risk more while never assuming more risk (if you have a BE stop on the first half, and a stop of half your open profit on the second half, you still can't lose). The times you are wrong, you lose 1 lot on a tight SL. In some trend days, there are opportunities to add a lot about 3 times in a day when the market moves overall 100 points. Scaled in, you can keep your risk low while taking close to an average of 40 pips per lot on 4 lots.

In summary, scaling out is good for the nervous trader, but can diminish profit potential (in every way I think about it). If scaling out can improve your profit potential, work on your target setting. Scaling in can be risky on range days, but can improve profit on a trend day.

Again some good ideas there, but for me scaling in is per definition letting points on the table. At least on a single trade-per-trade base analysis. In the long run (it depends on your win%) scaling in might be more profitable. Scaling in means adding to a position at a higher (if you are long) or lower (if you are short) price. This basically means you enter a part of your trade at a worse price.

I always prefer to enter at a very good price (might be a bit agressive). Perhaps it's something psychological, but when I think of adding to an open position that's in profit, it feels like exposing myself to more risk, knowing that I would not enter at that price if I was flat.

Perhaps those who voted scaling in on the poll (11 members) could gives us an idea about their motives and thoughts about scaling in?

.................... but for me scaling in is per definition letting points on the table.........................
?

fire

Surely no more so than entering at less than your maximum position size? It's just another way of controlling risk.

eg: Let's say you trade breakouts - you could make an aggressive entry below the breakout point because the lower timescale action seemed to have some momentum in it which made it look as though a successful breakout was "likely". Your second and primary entry would be on the actual breakout.

good trading

jon

1, Scaling in, gives you the comfort using bigger stop.

2, Scaling out, don't give you the comfort of using big stops

fire

Surely no more so than entering at less than your maximum position size? It's just another way of controlling risk.

eg: Let's say you trade breakouts - you could make an aggressive entry below the breakout point because the lower timescale action seemed to have some momentum in it which made it look as though a successful breakout was "likely". Your second and primary entry would be on the actual breakout.

good trading

jon

Sure, you are right it is a way of controlling risk. But it also implies you are not dedicated to enter a greater position at a better price. If you a very convinced of your trades and you have like 80% profitable trades, then I think scaling in won't bring you more returns in the end. Over the long run you'll lose out.

It depends obviously, on the amount of scaling in. Do you risk 10% on any single trade, entering 5% and adding 5% or entering small size and adding later on? I'm assuming most people who scale in will start heavy and add to their positions but not double it on a higher price.

Look at it this way:

somebody who scales in:
Long 6500 2 lots, add 1 lot 6520, exit full position @ 6550 = +120

Somebody who scales out (normally) will have already taken profits by the time the other trade adds something. So it would look something like this:
Long 6500 3 lots, exit 2 lots at 6520, exit last lot at 6550 = +90

Now if the trade doesn't work as well:
* Scaling in: Long 6500 2 lots, add 1 lot 6520, exit full position @ 6500 or 6510? = +0 or +30 depending on where you place your stop
* Scaling out: Long 6500 3 lots, exit 2 lots @ 6520, stop at BE @ 6500 or 6510 = +40 or +50 depending on where you place your stop

I think it's more a question of how the trader views his trade. He might feel like he's risking less by not taking a full position immediately, but he's from the start a step behind compared to those traders who enter heavy size and already half profits in their hands when the market might decide to reverse.

1, Scaling in, gives you the comfort using bigger stop.

2, Scaling out, don't give you the comfort of using big stops

By this you are basically saying that scaling in makes a trader take more indirect risk. personally, a wider stop means less comfort for me and more stress. There's more money on the line.

The advantage of tight stops is that they come from sharp entries. If your stop gets hit you'll know you got it wrong immediately. Wider stops is wider risk and to have a decent reward the target will be quite far away.

Perhaps the timeframe on which one trades is of importance to whether one scales in or out. I can't see much advantage in scaling in on intraday basis. Some swings can really be small and turn against you in no time. For catching bigger moves and riding trends, yes scaling in and holding in is probably more like the way to go. Would you (or barjon, or anybody else) agree?

firewalker99

Hypethical trade for scaling in and scaling out.

1, Enter at market long 2 lots (stop 18 points)

2, Buy 2 more lots 8 points higher and (move stop to 9 points)

Now long 4 lots

3, Take profit Sell 2 lots 13 points higher (move stop to break-even)

4, Take profit Sell 2 lots 20 points higher. or manage the last 2 lots

firewalker99

Hypethical trade for scaling in and scaling out.

1, Enter at market long 2 lots (stop 18 points)

2, Buy 2 more lots 8 points higher and (move stop to 9 points)

Now long 4 lots

3, Take profit Sell 2 lots 13 points higher (move stop to break-even)

4, Take profit Sell 2 lots 20 points higher. or manage the last 2 lots

Unless I'm mistaken, in this example you would risk 36 points (2 lots x 18) to gain only 2 x 13 points = 26 ? After you take profit on the first 2 longs you move stop to breakeven. Suppose you get stopped out you would've made only 26 points.

Suppose you are long 4 lots. You are then exposed 2 lots x 9 points + 2 lots x 17 points (you bought them 8 points higher + 9 point stop) = 52 points risk. If you then sell 2 lots 13 points from your entry you make 5 points per lot (you bought them at 8 from the original entry) = 10 points. Now the stop is set to breakeven and if price stops you out, you will in effect won 10 points net but risked 52. That's not something I would want to do really :?:

firewalker99

Like I said in my post, these are Hypethical numbers for scaling in and scaling out.

I made these numbers up on of thin air. You can define any parameters you like. I am only giving you an example of how to scale in and out. Just an idea for someone to work on.